Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze Age

New Highest Price in Grade15186

Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator I think it's known that CGC was much tougher with the older labels and may fetch a little more than the newer graded books. I think paying more for how a case if put together is insane. So is the new saying, "buy the weld, not the grade?"
Post 51 IP   flag post
The only way I would pay more for a CBCS book is if the other book is an EGS graded book. If that were the case, then yes, I would pay more for the "weld". I think it's still going to take some time before CBCS gets to the same level as CGC, with regards to resell value. I will buy any CBCS books that I think are priced well, but I don't see myself paying more for a CBCS book if an equal CGC book is available.
Post 52 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@50AE_DE Just wait until you pay market value for the cgc book and get an over-graded turd.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@50AE_DE Just wait until you pay market value for the cgc book and get an over-graded turd.

That's why I do the best I can to check the book over before buying it. Both companies have overgraded books. Just because cbcs sonic welds their cases doesn't mean their grading is more reliable.
Post 54 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50AE_DE
Just because cbcs sonic welds their cases doesn't mean their grading is more reliable.

I think we got off track. I don''t care about the weld. I liked the clips. I'm talking about paying more for a book because it is CBCS graded versus the same graded by the cgc.
Post 55 IP   flag post

I honestly don't care which company grades the book as long as it's a fair price. If two books were of the same grade, presents the same and priced the same, then I'd prefer CGC due to higher resell.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson @50AE_DE - a little more clarity on my part regarding older CBCS encasements. I don’t mind the most recent clip encasements with the current labels, though i prefer the sonic weld due to the integrated one-piece top and front label. I will re-holder the previous or original label variations though as they are not uniform enough for my liking with my personal collection. But again, the most recent Clip case labels are fine.

My view of cgc degradation of grading integrity over the past several years stands. With in-person shoping this is not an issue but online, one cant always see the overlooked cgc grading flaws and i don’t have the time nor inclination to go through return processes. Hence why I underpay for more current cgc slabs. Then i send that newton ring $#!+ to CBCS for press and accurate grade or if irredeemable i will resell to someone who doesn’t mind cgc flaws.

In the meantime, for the CBCS part of my collection that I am selling off, I happily post here, those sales that dispel the myth that cgc always gets higher prices. Granted, as of now, for a quick flip cgc may be advantageous, but I am not in it for a quick flip. I am a collector first, that want accurately graded comics in a Crystal clear protective encasement.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I believe we have a newest record price -

Alpha Flight #1 Vol @ 9.8 sold for $74.99

Post 58 IP   flag post
Looks like another record.

Conan the Barbarian 102 sold @ $88.99!

Post 59 IP   flag post
And

103 @ $88.99

Post 60 IP   flag post
And

117 @ $88.99

Post 61 IP   flag post
And

122 @ $88.99

Post 62 IP   flag post
And lastly for tonight, we have another new highest price for;

Conan the Barbarian 147 @ $75.99

Post 63 IP   flag post
Good morning comic fans! I believe we stat the weekend with another new record price. While technically not a comic, the Valiant Voice was a neat preview of what was coming and delved into further insight of the creators, storyline’s, and such.

Valiant Voice #6 sold via MCS eBay store @ $57

Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector Carpendaddy private msg quote post Address this user
I sold a Marvel Zombies 1 CBCS 9.8 last week for what should be a record high. I believe the highest CGC copy sold for $515 (according to GPA) and I sold my CBCS for an offer of $525.

eBay listing
Post 65 IP   flag post
Another record price achieved by a CBCS graded comic. This one coming in at $200 plus shipping:

Post 66 IP   flag post
I typically like Dormans work, but, they legs here just do not make sense.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Good morning! We start with a new high for Spectacular Spider-Man 191 which sold this morning for $55.99.

Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if this is open to all or if I'm stealing @scifinator's thread but my Detective Comics #184 CBCS 1.8 just sold for $825 on eBay, which I think is a sizable record for the grade.

A CGC 2.5 sold for $702 in March 2020 and a CGC 1.5 sold for $575 in February 2020.
Post 69 IP   flag post
@jokioo - Congrats on the sale!

I am completely fine with and encourage you and others join in and post CBCS graded comics that attain a new record for a comic issue. Be it in grade or overall.

I started the thread to dispel the myth the cgc always commands a higher price.

And, that CBCS is gaining acceptance and traction in recognition of its quality and value in the comic certification world.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@jokioo - Congrats on the sale!

I am completely fine with and encourage you and others join in and post CBCS graded comics that attain a new record for a comic issue. Be it in grade or overall.

I started the thread to dispel the myth the cgc always commands a higher price.

And, that CBCS is gaining acceptance and traction in recognition of its quality and value in the comic certification world.

Congrats on the sales of you books. I know your intent is to highlight CBCS books that sold more than a comparable CGC book, but dang...that's a lot of drek in those slabs. Most of the books you posted are also in my collection, but I would never consider them slab worthy.

How does CBCS sales compare to CGC sales when it comes to key books?
Post 71 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE

Conan the Barbarian #100 9.8
CBCS $260 vs cgc $125

Alpha Flight #1 9.8
CBCS $575 vs cgc $499

And for time last year before i started the week auctions on MCS, one of my CBCS encased WildCATS #1 sold for a record, at the time, at $159 plus 3 others between 120 and 140. So in addition to the top spot, CBCS held 3 of the other 6 top spots.

Oh, and while my collection may be too drekkie for there is the fact that a CBCS certified comic still holds, by far, the record for a restored Captain America Comics #1

Capt America Comics record
Post 72 IP   flag post
That cap #1 is a nice book. It only list "cover cleaned" under professional restoration. If that's all that was done then someone got it for an awesome price.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Another day, another record. Today, the comic pictured below sold $53 + shipping which is Higher than any previous 9.4 or 9.6. And, it sold higher than 10 of 12 9.6 & 9.8 graded comics listed in the GoCollect database.

Post 74 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@50AE_DE

Conan the Barbarian #100 9.8
CBCS $260 vs cgc $125

Alpha Flight #1 9.8
CBCS $575 vs cgc $499

And for time last year before i started the week auctions on MCS, one of my CBCS encased WildCATS #1 sold for a record, at the time, at $159 plus 3 others between 120 and 140. So in addition to the top spot, CBCS held 3 of the other 6 top spots.

Oh, and while my collection may be too drekkie for there is the fact that a CBCS certified comic still holds, by far, the record for a restored Captain America Comics #1

Capt America Comics record

Nothing wrong with that so called "drek". Those books made profit ans set new sales records.
Keep-em' coming scifinator....
Post 75 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Drek makes the world go round. Keys are overrated.
Post 76 IP   flag post
No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user

Is this a CBCS record setter? I don't know. Sold last month.
Post 77 IP   flag post
@Nearmint67 - Looking at the GoCollect database the next closest sale is a blue label cgc 9.8 at less than 1/2 of what you sold yours for. !!
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Drek makes the world go round. Keys are overrated.
I know I supported a ton of comic shops by buying up their drek. I have 10-15 drek for every 1 key I own.
Post 79 IP   flag post
New record price. And not even for the 1st issue!

$113.99

Post 80 IP   flag post
600906 169 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?