Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

UNKNOWN Comics Excuse15038

Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if I'm being unreasonable here but I am quite upset with UNKNOWN Comics.

Back in April I ordered 3 Star Wars: The High Republic #5 exclusive covers. I liked the fact that they have a buy 2 get one free deal. I thought it would be nice to get them for $20.00 a piece instead of the normal $30.00. They arrived the other day and I was uploading them to my Collectorz account. I wanted to scan the bar code so I had to take them out of their bags and boards. When I opened one I found significant color rub on the back. I scanned the books and sent them an email. Their response follows:

Unknown Comics (UnknownComicBooks)
Jun 24, 2021, 4:32 PM CDT

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out. We have reviewed the pictures and determined the condition to be within our 9.2 condition guarantee range. Black and red ink has a tendency to dry slower than other colors so they are often subject to color rub from the printers. You can review our grading guide below. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

We only guarantee 9.2 condition on raw books unless otherwise stated in the product description. Split corners on over-sized books (like Wolverine #1) are standard defects. Printer rub on dark covers is also standard. For more printer defect examples click here. Below is the grading guide we use from Comics Price Guide.

NEAR MINT / NEAR MINT- GRADES
NEAR MINT : 9.4
NEAR MINT- : 9.2
This book is an excellent copy with great eye appeal.

It is vibrant and clean with supple pages.
The spine may have a couple of very small stress lines at the most 1/4 inch the surface color around the line must not be noticeably broken.
The spine is almost completely flat.
The cover is relatively flat with almost no surface wear and the cover inks are generally bright with medium to high reflectivity.
The staples may show some discoloration, but it's not too noticeable on first glance.
The inside pages and covers usually will be off-white to white, but can be creamy or slightly yellowish.

For immediate issues please contact us through Facebook Messenger @UnknownComicBooks or call us at (806) 290-1308.

Hours of operation are Mon-Fri from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm Central Standard Time.
Unknown Comics Team

Now I know that they can't and won't guarantee a 9.8 but when you sell a brand new book for $30.00 I think that having such blatant damage is wrong. Needless to say I won't be buying any more go their books. I have had similar issues with other companies that were willing to replace the books. They aren't.

Here's one example:

Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Although that definitely sux, every company sends a dud now and again. Find a company that sells with a higher raw grade guarantee and pray for the best.

Honestly they fulfilled their agreement and you can't fault them for it. It's not like they shipped it in a paper envelope and it got damaged in transit.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I agree. Just because the book costs more than an arbitrary threshold doesn’t mean they should be held to an ambiguous, stricter set of terms than the ones that were agreed to by both parties completing the sale.
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite
Agreed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
601327 4 4
This topic is archived. Start new topic?