Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Homemade assembled comics15031

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I have owned these for years, trimmed, homemade spine tape. I decided to read one today, turns out they are assembled from various comics, not the originals as I thought. For instance the apparent Blackhawk 95 has a golden age Captain America story, an Adventure Comics story, and some others. The Red Mask is all Black Phantom stories from various issues and so on. The Blackhawk 83 even has a Blackhawk 43 cover and some stories inside. I have about 20 similar. Appear to be pretty much all villainess stories assembled in all of them. Kinda cool, kinda valueless as collectibles.

You can tell by the quality of the paper they were pretty nice books that got chopped up, but back then they had virtually no value. Just more oddities to keep. Good reads for sure.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I can dig it. Kind of like a homemade custom bound book, which I am all for
Post 2 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The way they are trimmed, it looks like they may have come out of bound collections before being randomly reassembled.
Post 3 IP   flag post
-Our Odin-
Rest in Peace
Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@doog that is awesome!!! That's the kind of find that really tells a story!! Love it!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Kinda cool, kinda valueless as collectibles.

I dunno, you could always talk to that company that slabs individual pages.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
Kinda cool, kinda valueless as collectibles.

I dunno, you could always talk to that company that slabs individual pages.

I am going to read them close to see if there are any gems mixed in. The research of what story came out of what book could be interesting.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector dfoster43 private msg quote post Address this user
Hey if you ever decide to sell them let me know! unique is right up my alley
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Was an article I believe in Overstreet some years back about someone I think from kansas that was famous for doing just that sort of thing...taking old comics and trimming, taping and repairing them, and then reselling them back during late golden and early silver age era. His handiwork actually gained a following and the books now sell for a premium due to their history, but thats all I can recall of the story
Post 8 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I was thinking that maybe there were comics that this kids momma wouldn't let him read so he put them inside covers of other comics the momma was ok with. Kind of like the Playboy in the Sports Illustrated cover routine.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town -- That is VERY cool story ... i would love to hunt some of those down.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Was an article I believe in Overstreet some years back about someone I think from kansas that was famous for doing just that sort of thing...taking old comics and trimming, taping and repairing them, and then reselling them back during late golden and early silver age era. His handiwork actually gained a following and the books now sell for a premium due to their history, but thats all I can recall of the story

Pop Hollingsworth I think. I actually have one. Heavily reinforced with brown tape.

Post 11 IP   flag post
That looks and soungs right, it was years ago I read about it all, but I am fairly sure it was in an Overstreet if someone really wanted to chase it down
Post 12 IP   flag post
fascinating, really. i don't even know why this intrigues me so much. maybe because it's such a different thing to see. my overstreet collection got destroyed by katrina but maybe there's online resources out there i can scour... thanks, @Darkseid_of_town for showing us all this!
Post 13 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town - Today is finally the last day of the strangest, crummiest, and seemingly longest, school year! I have a stack of old Price Guides I can start flipping through to see if I can find the article.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I sort of hoped someone besides me might remember the entire thing...I was thinking he was from somewhere in the midwest, possibly kansas. He gained fame back in the late golden and early silver age for doing this and there were comics all over the place he had done this with.

Could have sworn it was in an old overstreet annual that I saw the story. Perhaps our own #Steve Borock might remember?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Wayneds private msg quote post Address this user
The article is “The Pop Hollinger Story” The first comic book collector/dealer. From Overstreet #12 1982
Post 16 IP   flag post
615434 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?