Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector daver private msg quote post Address this user
I've just sent off an email to Fedex to question a charge of $56.37 for "duties and taxes" regarding the shipment of 3 comics I had graded. My books were sent to the office in Oakville ON from within Ontario. I thought that the whole point of shipping them through Oakville was to avoid duty charges. Is that not correct? What is the point or advantage of having a CBCS office in Oakville for Canadians? I'm looking at other ways to get books graded...or buying them graded already! Don't think I'll be using CBCS until a better system is in place. I did reach out to the Oakville office as well, with no response. Customer service is poor.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@daver This is an ongoing issue with Fedex, not CBCS. One of the Canadian users should be able to provide more information but CBCS provides the necessary forms that Fedex sometimes ignores. Fedex should waive the fees but you might have to go through the contesting process to bring their mistake to their attention.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
okey dokey......@daver

Did you have your books sent back through CBCS Canada? I use the CanPar option as it's cheaper for me but I was certain the FedEx was FedEx Canada (i.e. sent back to Oakville then by FedEx to you so should never have had these charges) ....anyway I have an out for you!!

Check the paperwork attached to your box from CBCS - if they sent it straight from Dallas to you they recently have been including the correct paper work - basically a note saying these are your own items being returned and as such don't qualify for duties/taxes etc. there's even stuff stamped in big red letters to that effect.

When you call FedEx they're going to say these were clearance charges not duties etc. and they charge them on all packages being returned with a company/industry account vs a private/personal account.

Have a copy of your original invoice handy (proves these were your books) and the paperwork from CBCS if available (although I've never had to supply either to FedEx)

- you need to tell them
"these are my own items being returned to me after appraisal services were done and you can't control which type of account or how they are retuned to you"

that should be it!!

- you may have to go through 2 or 3 people - but stick to the facts - these are your own books returned after appraisal (don't mention pressing - although that is ok tax wise - never get restoration cause that is a whole other tax nightmare!)
again - your books being returned and you can't control which type of account or how they were returned and you have the paperwork that was attached to the package....could even ask them why they didn't read the paperwork? (for F's sake!!)

I 100% believe this is an extra revenue stream for them - probably a very small % don't need to pay this fee and don't realize it and they sure as heck won't bother letting you know!
Post 3 IP   flag post
598060 3 3
This topic is archived. Start new topic?