Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector shawn_t private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Wolverine #8 that IMO is 9+ except for the fact the white areas of the cover appear splotchy yellow-white.

It is more difficult to see in the attached picture than in real life, but if you zoom in on the $1.50 price badge you can see it pretty well.

I guess I have a few questions.
Can this be cleaned?
How will the affect grade?
Still worth grading or is this a low grade book now?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
From your picture, foxing is not obvious to me. So maybe a little dirt, maybe paper showing a bit of aging. But I don't see the blotchy or speckled rust colored areas normally associated with foxing. As for the area you reference, is it possible that we are "seeing" what is on the inside of the cover?

As for grade, even some light foxing would not make this book a low grade copy. The bend on the bottom right corner probably would have a bigger impact on grade.

If you want a "please grade me" answer then take the book out of the bag and get good pictures of both front and back covers.

And welcome to the boards.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you for the quick reply. The book is out of the bag in this picture. I just put the bag under the board to keep track of it. I agree about the bottom right corner. It is non-color breaking so possibly can be pressed out.

I have attached a close up of the center of the comic.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like there’s some foxing to me.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
Ok what’s foxing?
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's stacking dirt.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgee
Ok what’s foxing?

Foxing is a light brown to rust-colored spotting on aging paper, often identified as being of biologic origin. Once you see it, it is easily recognizable. Many camps believe it is fungal in nature, some suspect it to be a bacteria. The brown to rust color is attributed to the oxidation of iron elements in, or on the surface of, aging paper. It is often found in books that have been stored in poor environments, not necessarily high-moisture situations. It is not limited to newsprint or comics, and is found throughout the realm of printed archives. ~ copied from the Internet.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelgee
Ok what’s foxing?

Oxidation of paper.

edit: @DrWatson's is a far better answer than mine.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Post 9 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
The white areas look dingy, but I don't think it is foxing either.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Any opinions on whether you would consider clean and press and grading or better to sell raw?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ok thanks I’ve found this on some of mines when I change out bags n boards, it also is absorb into the board too. What I thought was weird was the boards was from the the 90‘s. But all the books the set or boxes were not affected. When I get home from work I’ll find some
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Amspider private msg quote post Address this user
Before and after pictures took about four hours. Now press and see what we get as a grade.

Post 13 IP   flag post

sorry cant remember the books this was with.but some of them look like your book @shawn_t
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Amspider can you provide link or video on how you cleaned your book? Or is this what CBCS’s cleaning service can do?
Post 15 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The book has the trifecta.
Light foxing in areas.
Very mild ink transfer.
Some soiling.
Post 16 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_t
@Amspider can you provide link or video on how you cleaned your book? Or is this what CBCS’s cleaning service can do?

If you decide to do this yourself (I would advise against it). Be careful that you do not erase any of the inks along with the dirt and ink transfer. If you remove ink you will likely impact the grade more than the dirt would have.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Did I miss something here? I thought we were discussing foxing on a Wolverine #8. Now it's a pressing thread?
Geez, the forums sometimes....
Post 18 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Did I miss something here? I thought we were discussing foxing on a Wolverine #8. Now it's a pressing thread?
Geez, the forums sometimes....

I must be completely off....I thought this was going to be about dirty foxes!!!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
When will we ever learn to just love and appreciate our comic books for who they are and stop trying to change them.
Post 20 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
When money is involved, anything / everything should be expected....
Post 21 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Everybody loves to play with their comics
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I removed an old crusty something from one of my golden age today. Fingernail! High tech.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598060 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?