Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

What do you use to track your collection and give an idea of value?14994

Collector Tolen private msg quote post Address this user
I am currently using stashmycomics.com to track my collection and approximate value of the collection. I am looking for something else or better. I know a lot of members like CvrPrice, but what about CLZ, Zap-Kapow or Comicbase (that seems overly expensive) etc.

I guess what I am asking is a lot in reality, a compare and contrast to a degree, what makes CvrPrice so popular, for example. Stashmycomics is not bad but I am somewhat afraid of it disappearing. They do keep it up to date mostly, but you don't know where they are pulling their prices from and the social area is a wind swept grave yard.

Thanks in advance for all helpful responses.
Post 1 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I'm doing it old school with excel and GPA for the estimated value.

I'm curious as to what this thread will yield...
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been using CLZ on my desktop and mobile for years and am very happy with the features and cuztomizability

If you are looking for something that tracks the value of comics automatically then CLZ might not be for you. While you can certainly track the value of your comics, CLZ only automatically downloads values via GoCollect. This means the values specifically reflect recent graded sales. It is very likely that a book in your collection hasn’t seen a sale in a certain grade in a while (or ever) so GoCollect might not have a value for it. And as it only tracks graded comic sales then the values would be fairly off on your raw books.

You can certainly input your own values for raw and graded books alike.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I'm "Old school" also. I use EXCEL. Those other sites I'm not sure of? I'm not sure if my information is truly secure or if the site goes down and I'm S.O.L.. At least with my EXCEL, I know what I have, can print it out and my million dollar (I wish) collection is secure.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Some say "old school" excel.....wtf?? Thats the new tracking...mid 40s
..i started tracking with Lotus123!! Have now been on the new inferior excel for decades!!. No tracking of value.

Once in a while I'll notice a book on gocollect or ebay or here as someones new purchase and realize something is "worth" $$. I am however in the process of grading my higher value books with the aim to insure at least those
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector GeekStoxx private msg quote post Address this user
Wow... fresh post!

Here’s my two cents... currently I’m subscribed to CLZ, Key Collector and Go Collect. I hope this works for some and I hope SOME can sense how my logic works with all this. (So please don’t burn 🔥 me at the stake) 😂

COVRPRICE - the closest I feel to my WHOLE COLLECTION’s “real-time” FMV.
WHY? because it seems they aggregate prices closest to both Slabbed and Raw books with sales coming from a few known and established companies in the industry. Whether it’s eBay, Heritage, MyComicShop, etc. So we can trust the numbers somewhat, and I “feel” I would let me books go for that price without question!

KEYCOLLECTOR - I save my collection on here too as for what it shows.. ONLY KEY BOOKS!!!
WHY? We have books that will definitely not show up on here, but there are also KEY books that will not necessarily be aggregated on CLZ or GoCollect and CovrPrice unless there has been some sale. But here, it seems they do add value and track those key books that regardless of current sales, they still put a price on them. NOTE!!! THEIR “HIGH” VALUE IS FOR 9.2 NOT 9.4 OR HIGHER. Please under stand that the market changes daily and therefore they cannot definitively state that a book specifically changes to its new high price since there is one or twenty new high sales. It’s just a starting price for high-grade books (Please PEOPLE, don’t argue this, it is the right way and should be treated as such) I do enter this price on both my CLZ and COVRPRICE as it’s price when there are no sales or data on a book.

CLZ - Collection Tracking at its best!!!
WHY? ALL MY DATA STARTS HERE!!! with Barcode scanning for quick entering, to storage box and Store purchased location and date... it just has it all. You can also manipulate the price according to their data or what you feel the price of your book is. It’s full control. Though their values are skewed due to them using GoCollect data for SLABBED or GRADED books only, it’s nevertheless, the one-stop-shop for ORGANIZING and TRACKABILITY. I know who or where I sold my books. What price I paid for it. It’s location in my collection. Et al. And the GoCollect numbers are pretty on point... helps me to decide whether I should slab a book for resale or just move it accordingly. I have yet to find a book, that I have slabbed in a top tier, to have lost its value even after slabbing. The validity of their values have helped me decide which book to slab.

I cancelled my GOCOLLECT account, as one,it’s pretty pricey with me invested in these other services already. And two, I don’t necessarily dig into the data that much, and this is where GoCollect excels. They are very data heavy that it really helps for those who like to crunch the numbers to find the next book that’ll pop or grow as an investment. Perhaps one day I’ll look into it again.

There you have it... services I use for tracking and organizing my books.

And by the way, I have yet to record all my books where it shows 2100 logged, but I likely have another 1000+ to input. But COVRPRICE allows for you to send them an exported CLZ File to be uploaded into their system. Worked for me

Hope this helps.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Gocollect is fun for tracking and it's well worth the fee to me. You can create individual lists. I have one list for my most valuable books, which are boxed individually. I have another list for my remaining slab collection. I have lists of some of my larger raw runs, a list for Magazine size and a list for CBCS Raw Grade. Each list can be reviewed and valued separately, but you have to enter them as CGC universal blue label to get an FMV. I know their data isn't totally reliable, but it's good enough for most of my needs. I remember a time when collection value was updated once a year, not once a day.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
..i started tracking with Lotus123!! Have now been on the new inferior excel for decades!!. No tracking of value.

Once in a while I'll notice a book on gocollect or ebay or here as someones new purchase and realize something is "worth" $$. I am however in the process of grading my higher value books with the aim to insure at least those

ya know what...I still have my Commodore64 from when I was a kid....pretty sure I still have the disk with my comics on it..can't remember the name of the spread sheet program though

Sorry - no longer have the Vic20 or the cassette drive....although I swear I still have a few cassettes with games on

If there was some way to copy paste from excel into something maybe they I would convert...even that would take forever though
Post 8 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
For the vast majority of collections, 80% of the value is in 20% of the books. A lot of collections it's 90/10.

I track that 20% on Excel, using GPA. I estimate the other 80% with OPG if I feel like bothering. But since I'm only tracking 20% or less of the books, doing it manually with Excel works just fine.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
For the vast majority of collections, 80% of the value is in 20% of the books. A lot of collections it's 90/10.

I would agree that I'm only tracking 10%-20% of my inventory. But as you say, they represent almost 100% of the liquid value of my collection. Most of my boxes I don't even consider a "collection", just books that I've been dragging around for decades.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
I use CLZ and https://comicspriceguide.com/

CPG is great for tracking the collection. They are sometimes behind on values, especially right now as the market has been exploding for a year and keeping up with every price fluctuation is difficult. But, in the main, I use them to price sales or get at least a rough idea of my collections value/stuff I want to sell, etc...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I get amused when someone posts...the system only allows for 9.2 or lower books and this is how it should be done so please dont argue. Yeah, thats a hard pass for me...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I use Comics Price Guide. Good for tracking. Values can be off at times. They did start separating out certain things like newsstand, direct edition, CPV, UKPV, etc. It's been working for me but I'm slow when it comes to actually updating my stuff on there.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

ya know what...I still have my Commodore64 from when I was a kid....pretty sure I still have the disk with my comics on it..can't remember the name of the spread sheet program though

Sorry - no longer have the Vic20 or the cassette drive....although I swear I still have a few cassettes with games on

If there was some way to copy paste from excel into something maybe they I would convert...even that would take forever though
Sounds fun, lets play some MULE!
Post 14 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I use GPA for all my slabs.
Post 15 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Nostomania

mm
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using comicspriceguide.com for quite a while now. It does a great job at helping me track everything and gives me a good general ideal of price. Like @xvipah said, though, they are behind right now because the market is so hard to keep up with. Prices are updated by staff who get their information from the users so it's a slower process.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Clz
Post 18 IP   flag post

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I've been using ComicBase for years now but it really is too expensive.
Post 20 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Excel sheet for me.
It allows me to track basically whatever I want to invest time-wise.
With almost 4K books it is a bit of work to keep accurate, but well worth it.
For values, I’ll update graded books’ values when changes are happening. The raws are all formulated to be valued at 50¢ unless I manually up it.

I regularly back it up by emailing it to myself.
Post 21 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In terms of tracking the books for insurance purposes, I signed up for a free Dropbox account and use dropsync, an app on android platform. Once I take a picture on my phone it automatically uploads to the cloud. I take 2 pics, one of whole book, 1 of serial numbers. If I sell a book the app automatically deletes the book from cloud once I delete or move book to an archive folder.
Post 22 IP   flag post
600861 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?