Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Some solid observations and even more to think about....the expense is indeed worrisome with the possibility of three seperate failures as well. Many of the signatures I have are likely aunthentic for various reasons in context, but this book I dont have much of a feel for, beyond they are signatures most wouldnt waste their time faking from what I understand about signed items these days.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
beyond they are signatures most wouldnt waste their time faking from what I understand about signed items these days

I would give you a 99.9% guarantee that all of those 3 signatures are legit. There's very few signatures in our industry that I would be concerned were forgeries. The bigger worry is simply not passing verification.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Some kind words, thanks Lebron. I have second guessed myself a little on this one..I admit the certificate only being for the sole living signer has thrown me off a bit on it.Never having met any of the three, or watching them sign something leaves me feeling a bit uneasy for once
Post 103 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Some kind words, thanks Lebron. I have second guessed myself a little on this one..I admit the certificate only being for the sole living signer has thrown me off a bit on it.Never having met any of the three, or watching them sign something leaves me feeling a bit uneasy for once

Well consider that only a fool would add fake signatures to a real signature. Or add a real signature to a book that they knew had fake signatures on it.
Post 104 IP   flag post
I considered that as well, the one possible issue there being perhaps it had existing signatures when a new owner acquired it and then had the opportunity to add perhaps Thomas to the two that were already present..I think that might be overthinking it, but its hard to say for certain the actual sequence of events there.
Post 105 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I am on the fence. I have some sigs but mostly to complete a collection, or because I am a fan of the specific work, or (ideally) both.

For me, my ultimate sig is my Jack Kirby - as per usual, inside the book, though I have a photo card of it as well.

Then I have a smattering of others, including a few Neal Adams, and an obligatory but low value Stan Lee (to complete a collection by having at least one Stan sig - and it was a cheap one!)

I have two ungraded Neal books right now and on the fence of getting either signed even though from a $ value it would make sense. Bat232 and Bat251. The 251 is such a cool cover I think I will pass. The Bat232 is a cool cover too but the book will grade lower (maybe 9.2) and I think a sig “fits” that cover better…

I rarely, rarely, rarely sell anything I collect so for me it is really personal preference. Then again I always collect with long-term value as a consideration too. My guess is for true key books, look at how many sigs are out there and how close a connection between signer and artwork.

I do think in some cases like Kirby, there is tremendous long-term value in combining a decent book with his signature… I think for Stan Lee given he signed around 1000x-10,000x the number of books as Kirby (though easier to verify) I think long-term the value won’t hold except for already-valuable books.
Post 106 IP   flag post
You have missed a few things or perhaps overlooked them for a moment in your calculations.

Something to remember about Stan Lee signed books that many miss is simply that he was more than an artist, writer or creator. Many first learned about Stan Lee seeing his numerous cameos over the years in the cinematic universe. So for those who collect, there is far more audience than for perhaps a Kirby signature from that point of view.
Both men are deceased, and I simply treasure my kirby books and signatures, but give Stan his due, in that while he signed just tons of stuff, the demand for it is also out there as well. Consider that for many years he had to be paid 50-75 , even a hundred bucks a shot to write his name and many of those signatures were paid for despite the expense.
Having said that , I own only two Stan lee signed books and I refused to have either signature on a book with a higher collector value for that reason.
Meantime my main Kirby signature is on a Hulk 1 and could not be more of a signed high value book really.

I can offer one other thought while you are waffling around between yes and no on Adams signatures. Get them both signed...while he is alive and able.

Back about 1992 I was at the Dallas fantasy fair and wandered over to one of the tables along the wall. There were two older men sitting there all but ignored and honestly I had not a guess who they even were. I wandered up and struck up a conversation...the first man was Julius Schwartz, the legendary editor from DC comics back in the early silver age. I thought about it a bit...I really had nothing he could sign for me...but then I remembered I had bought my copy of showcase 22 for gil Kane to sign...Kane was sick that weekend and was a no show. My copy might score a 2.5 or 3.0 on a good day anyways so I opened the cover and let him sign the bottom of the first page.
Turning to the other man at the table, I asked his name. Martin Nodell.....the creator for the golden age green lantern. I had never heard of him really, nor had I anything for him to sign either. He was quite outgoing and said thats alright, I have this copy of Green Lantern 19 from the then current series he had done a page or two for. He offered the book for ten dollars , and signed it for me. he then showed me a set of the Dc comics cards recently issued and he had in fact done the artwork for a few...again , ten dollars, buy the set and he signed the cards he had done the art for.
Over the years I had somewhat fogotten the episode until one day I got curious what had become of the two guys...they are both gone now and I had never gotten a second chance to see either of them. Get things while you can....life is short, fleeting and you never know whats coming next

You can always replace the books later with raw copies, if you ever decide to....but you can never undo the passing of time and all it alters as it goes by

People take Adams and Steranko for granted buth both men are 80 or more and while I hope they stay with us for a long time, we never know what tomorrow holds
Post 107 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town Yeah I will likely get one of the two signed by Adams - I actually collect a lot of his iconic covers as he is one of my favorite artists, if not favorite outright.

I have perhaps 4 signed books by Adams, so your sentiment is not lost on me.

As for Stan, I just know how the world works and that many people get more credit than perhaps deserved, and others less. He was clearly a great man in what he achieved, but in my head he was great particularly in the marketing department. I personally view Kirby as an equal or greater contributor (just my opinion) with a currently lower recognition.

I expect that recognition gap to change over time. Perhaps a longer time than even relevant for me but as I said, I don’t sell my books anyways…

So for let’s say equal contributors, with one having a supply of their literal marks (sigs) at many, many, many multiples of the other, there is just something more special to me about a Kirby signature. I think it is also undervalued for that same specialness reason, even acknowledging the risk of forgery dampening some of that…

But I hear you.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Agree with alot you have said there, and I think Kirby will never fairly get the credit he deserved for what he truly did. I do think Stan will always be more popular to people if nothing else, for becoming the face of Marvel and appearing in all those movies. it definitely did not hurt his legacy. Most people do not know but Stan was at that long before we had a cinematic universe....clear back when Incredible Hulk was on television Stan made his first screen cameo as a man on the subway when the incredible hulk guest starred Daredevil

Get the signatures while you can..time leaves noone untouched
Post 109 IP   flag post
601512 109 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?