Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
When getting comics signed do you feel that by and large, the signature adds value to the comic beyond what creators are charging these days?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
When getting comics signed do you feel that by and large, the signature adds value to the comic beyond what creators are charging these days?

@SidTheSquid less and less over time, I would say. The proliferation of shows made signatures so much more common than in the past. The lockdown might have reversed that temporarily, but instead it led to in-house signings which now makes obtainable signatures pretty much a commodity. I think it matters more than ever which book is being signed though. If the book is hard to find, it offsets the idea that the signature is an unlimited commodity.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
I think, in general, it does, but, of course, it depends on the specific book and the creator signing it. Frank Miller charging $100 for a DKR #1? Yep. Worth it. Frank Miller signing DK III #1? Nope.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
I think, in general, it does, but, of course, it depends on the specific book and the creator signing it. Frank Miller charging $100 for a DKR #1? Yep. Worth it. Frank Miller signing DK III #1? Nope.

So, from a monetary standpoint would you say better to have higher valued books signed? Not worth it for low value books? And I would assume if the book is rare enough (Say, a silver age key...) it could hurt the value because maybe not everyone wants a signed copy?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Well, if you’re looking for value or considering selling it, then absolutely, yes, I’d say only get high value books signed (and slabbed).

But if it’s for personal reasons? Then get what you love signed. For example, I’m a huge Jorge Jimenez fan and I love his black and white 3rd print cover for Batman #90. It’s not really worth much but I definitely would love it signed and slabbed.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector sleeperbat private msg quote post Address this user
If I had a choice to buy a comic with signature or without, I would choose without.
I would prefer getting my own signatures. Purchasing a book because it has a signature on it doesnt provide anymore value to me than without.
My personal opinion.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I would say the missing comment here is for a deceased artist, writer or creator in which case all bets are off, it does add value and it isnt quite as particular what comic is signed
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
Signed keys it will almost always add more value, especially more popular artists and writers etc.

Same goes for certain popular covers...ASM 346 and 347 are a good example - 2 of my favorite covers period.

And then there's the Skyline variant covers marvel has(asm 700, venomverse 1, absolute carnage 1). To me, those were just made for signature collecting, and ones with mass amounts of sigs will collect a high premium. Working on 2 of my own actually, a venomverse and absolute carnage - adding at least 5 sigs to venomverse and 3 or 4 to the absolute carnage copy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
It makes me cringe when I see high grade copies of legit SA keys with Stan's signature on it. But, yes, they do go for a premium for the collectors that are into that type of stuff. Since he signed anything that was put in front of him, I should have had him sign my home loan application.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
There have been several SA X-Men books I would have purchased if they hadn't had Stan Lee's big fat black signature scrawled across the cover.
Post 10 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
However, I do have a variety of signature books that I am very fond of, Stan's just isn't one of them.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I can agree with @DrWatson on having signature books. I love Zeck's signature have the Punisher limited series signed by him as well as some GI Joe books. I have a Neal Adams signature on a Punisher book which I probably wouldn't get rid of because Neal just talked to me for 20 minutes about how he would have loved to have a Punisher run at some point. He was probably excited to not see a Batman book put in front of him. That signature was a great experience.

Edit: I would get Steranko's signature as well. I like that one.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Living - McFarlane signatures command a premium. Jim Lee tends to be more also.

Creators who do multiple cons per year - Questionable to marginal increase/decrease

Stan - Almost always a significant premium.

Other Deceased legends - tend to bring in a Premium

As for what creators charge these days? Let's just say at Cons I've gone from dozens and dozens of signatures in the 80's, 90's, and early 2000's to less than a handful in the last 7 years. They're just bananas what some ask for now. Crazy and bananas.
They all want their cut of the pie. And, when that cut is negative - buh bye
Post 13 IP   flag post
If I were an artist or writer, why wouldn't I get my piece of the pie? If someone is going to drop off a stack of books to profit off my signature, I'd charge for my time also.

The signatures I don't understand are people who were never involved in the comic process. For example, I've seen 9.8 copies of Transformers #1 with Peter Cullen's and Frank Welker's signatures sell for astronomical amounts. It's not like they voiced the characters in the comics.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
If I were an artist or writer, why wouldn't I get my piece of the pie? If someone is going to drop off a stack of books to profit off my signature, I'd charge for my time also.

My only point is they can charge what they want, and I can choose not to involve myself.
They think themselves far more important than they are in many cases.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I think it all comes down to value for money.
I like signatures.
But when a signature costs $50 to $100 or more
Well that kind of money can buy a really nice single comic for my collection.
So I generally pass on paying for signatures.
And certainly buying a book with one already on it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I applaud you for running your business model how you see fit, as you should. I also applaud the people who charge more for their signature. Believe me, I'm not knocking you at all. I just understand where they're coming from. Whether or not they are deemed important or not isn't my call.
Post 17 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
It depends on which book, the grade of the book, snd which signature.

I have some signed books that sold right sway for s profit snd others that have been sitting for years just waiting for the right buyer.

Most creators will charge the same amount to sign that worthless book without half the cover as they will to sign a high grade grail.

As your time, money, and effort go into obtaining each signature it is up to you to decide if the benefits outweigh the costs.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
I think it all comes down to value for money.
I like signatures.
But when a signature costs $50 to $100 or more
Well that kind of money can buy a really nice single comic for my collection.
So I generally pass on paying for signatures.
And certainly buying a book with one already on it.

You could say the same thing about high graded books.

Would you rather have that one 9.8 or several other books that you decide are close enough.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It makes me cringe when I see high grade copies of legit SA keys with Stan's signature on it. But, yes, they do go for a premium for the collectors that are into that type of stuff. Since he signed anything that was put in front of him, I should have had him sign my home loan application.

@Studley_Dudley - Cringe away, my man. Cringe away.

I only say that as I am actually more on your side of the track. I really do not, as a general rule, like my covers signed. If i do have any of my comics personally signed in the future, it will either be like my first signed comic Marvel Fanfare #1 which Michael Golden signed on the inside back in 1992, or i will have the back cover signed, or perhaps have the back/label aree of CBCS encasement signed as it would likely be for my own personal (Force Ghost) collection.

I would never have bought this Wolverine #1 if the signatures (especially Miller's) was in blank ink. Now since it is in gold ink and signed by both Lee and Miller at SDCC on the same day, adds some uniqueness to it, but again if it were in black ink, I would have dumped as I agree with your "defaced" sentiment.

Conversely, this Stan Lee signature on my Star Wars #1, in black, is very well place and otherwise melded in well with the artwork. imho

Getting back to @SidTheSquid - Does a signature add value, yes. But depending on the signature and the comic, it may only add $25 but could add upwards of $500 or even higher depending on how prevalent/rare and how desired that signer is. Just a quick example, on the Wolverine # 1 above, I had recently been $1,800 and 1,900 for it. Recent sales, over the past two months, of the same comic without a signature have been from $500 - $1,200 most being in the $750 - $1,100 range. One might extrapolate that these signatures added at least $800 to the value. I have also seen that there is a Green Label Joe Quesada/Palmiotti signed X-O Manowar 0 9.8 Ivory error variant on ebay for a year at $80...Unsold still. Granted, it is a green label, but the Ivory error Variant brings the value up somewhat. Then there is a 9.8 VSP Red label Quesada for $100, and still not sold.

Again, who are the signers, when were they signed, what is the placement, witnessed, vsp, or not. There are no hard fixed answers on this.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
There are no hard fixed answers on this.

That's sort of what I'm finding. It seems sometimes that creators are charging $20 for a witnessed signature, while it might only be adding $0-25 in value to a book. Which kind of makes it seem like they might be taking too big of "a piece of the pie" as NuffSaid111 put it. So with that perspective, it doesn't make complete sense for me to pay that for multiple signatures if my intention is to sell some, keep some. Of course, the good part is that I guess it keeps some level of scarcity to the signature if they're charging enough.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
All of my current books that have sigs are raw, and only for PC. I generally dont get sigs for a book I'm looking to sell. Also helps that most of the sigs I've gotten so far since they weren't witnessed sigs were free.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheSquid
Quote:
There are no hard fixed answers on this.

That's sort of what I'm finding. It seems sometimes that creators are charging $20 for a witnessed signature, while it might only be adding $0-25 in value to a book. Which kind of makes it seem like they might be taking too big of "a piece of the pie" as NuffSaid111 put it. So with that perspective, it doesn't make complete sense for me to pay that for multiple signatures if my intention is to sell some, keep some. Of course, the good part is that I guess it keeps some level of scarcity to the signature if they're charging enough.

Neal Adams is a great example as he now charges $50 per book.

If you have a 9.8 copy of Batman 200 getting Neal and Joe Giella to sign it is a no brainer.

On the other hand a 2.0 copy of Green Lantern 89 with Neal's signature is not worth getting signed as the signature might only add $10-15 to the value of the book.

If you are getting it signed for your personal collection and the book has sentimental value for you (purchased when you were young, gift from a loved one, etc) maybe you pay the $50 even if the sale of the book would not recoup your investment.

If it looks good on your wall maybe it is worth the $50 to you.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
If you are getting it signed for your personal collection and the book has sentimental value for you (purchased when you were young, gift from a loved one, etc) maybe you pay the $50 even if the sale of the book would not recoup your investment.

If it looks good on your wall maybe it is worth the $50 to you.

Exactly.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I somewhat agree with what is being said here with the caveat that depending how what and who signs it all changes exponentially....for instance you wont find many Kirby signed books, and seldom if ever see one signed on the cover.
Finding a new gods or a Demon or Mister Miracle signed by Kirby is fun stuff, and might kick the value up a few hundred....but....find a FF 49, or X men 1 with his signature and it tends to move the value up far faster and exponentially more considering the who and the what...what would you pay yourself for a Mister Miracle 1, kirby signed vs a Fantastic four 25?

I dont even have a guess how to price or value the hulk I have signed....

Given the placement, the quality and so forth who really knows? I had BAS do a quick look at it and they came up stating it would likely pass...but is that a 2 hundred or 2 k signature?

Another one I see drawing alot of fire is x men 50...a book that is getting hard to find in higher grades and is on many collectors want lists....Steranko is alive and well, and signs but combining the placement and color of ink with this book insures a hefty hike....

I never really got into the idea of buying a silver age key signed by Stan Lee...to me for my own wants that is idiotic, as someone out there almost certainly has a 9.8 they also had him sign and most likely right on the cover with that heavy script black marker no less.
I own two books he signed, both CGC witness books, an Emma Frost 1, and a Spider Gwen 1.....for me it doesnt really matter what book and you are really just buying the signature itself.

Another thing that plays into it all is each persons own view and asthetics....some dont mind a cover signed book, some do. I will often buy a duplicate of the book just for signing ....if thats the case. I notice some dont like Sterankos green pen on x men 50 and prefer black.....
I tend to avoid signature that use paint pen, are in gold, (unless on a white cover) and a signature placed right over a characters face or key part of the artwork is an immediate no for me everytime.

Everyone collects differently ...and assigns a price that allows for their wants and needs. When I bought that x men book a few years back signed by Steranko, it was the most I had paid for a book since the eighties. Still worth it to me ....
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

@Studley_Dudley - Cringe away, my man. Cringe away.

I only say that as I am actually more on your side of the track. I really do not, as a general rule, like my covers signed. If i do have any of my comics personally signed in the future, it will either be like my first signed comic Marvel Fanfare #1 which Michael Golden signed on the inside back in 1992, or i will have the back cover signed, or perhaps have the back/label aree of CBCS encasement signed as it would likely be for my own personal (Force Ghost) collection.

I would never have bought this Wolverine #1 if the signatures (especially Miller's) was in blank ink. Now since it is in gold ink and signed by both Lee and Miller at SDCC on the same day, adds some uniqueness to it, but again if it were in black ink, I would have dumped as I agree with your "defaced" sentiment.

Conversely, this Stan Lee signature on my Star Wars #1, in black, is very well place and otherwise melded in well with the artwork. imho

Getting back to @SidTheSquid - Does a signature add value, yes. But depending on the signature and the comic, it may only add $25 but could add upwards of $500 or even higher depending on how prevalent/rare and how desired that signer is. Just a quick example, on the Wolverine # 1 above, I had recently been $1,800 and 1,900 for it. Recent sales, over the past two months, of the same comic without a signature have been from $500 - $1,200 most being in the $750 - $1,100 range. One might extrapolate that these signatures added at least $800 to the value. I have also seen that there is a Green Label Joe Quesada/Palmiotti signed X-O Manowar 0 9.8 Ivory error variant on ebay for a year at $80...Unsold still. Granted, it is a green label, but the Ivory error Variant brings the value up somewhat. Then there is a 9.8 VSP Red label Quesada for $100, and still not sold.

Again, who are the signers, when were they signed, what is the placement, witnessed, vsp, or not. There are no hard fixed answers on this.

Post 26 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I have a few books signed and they're all by the old guys. I definitely prefer books unsigned but having some signed by the greats is pretty cool too. I'd love an early Spidey signed by Ditko. I have little to no interest in books signed by any modern artists or writers. I have a Neal Adams signed book which is neat but anyone later than him, not really interested.

I do own modern raw books signed by modern artists and writers that I got when I got back into collecting that I'd sell without any problem whatsoever.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I have a few books signed and they're all by the old guys. I definitely prefer books unsigned but having some signed by the greats is pretty cool too. I'd love an early Spidey signed by Ditko. I have little to no interest in books signed by any modern artists or writers. I have a Neal Adams signed book which is neat but anyone later than him, not really interested.

I do own modern raw books signed by modern artists and writers that I got when I got back into collecting that I'd sell without any problem whatsoever.

I had books signed by Len Wein, Denny O'Neil, and Joe Sinnott at conventions in the last few years.

At the time I had them signed these signatures were not so difficult or expensive to obtain.

Now these signatures carry a much higher premium.

As for more recent artists I am very happy to have paid to have books signed by Todd McFarlane, Rob Liefeld, J Scott Campbell, Jim Lee, etc.

While we all have our preferences the value of books ultimately comes down to supply and demand.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I'm also not a big fan of signed comics. It makes me cringe when I see a high grade key comic signed, especially when the signature is scrawled over faces or other significant areas.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Some of the modern guys Ive never even heard of or care to...I am somewhat abivalent about J scott Campbell, as his female characters are far too cartoony looking to me. I Am fond of Todd McFalane's work and have a few signed by him, I think he will always be one of the greats. Jim Lee, I dont think I own anything signed for, but might consider it....as for Liefeld, I would likely pay at conventions for him NOT to sign anything I have.
A few modern artists I do like ...Ross, and Brooks. I also like King and Ewing for their writing skills.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601218 109 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?