Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPQuestionsSignatures

Verified REJECT14979

Collector DMC private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

Just wanting to get some opinions / ideas as to what I should do.

I've recently sent off a Simpsons comic signed by Matt Groening to be verified & slabbed by CBCS.

I'm sending from the UK so you can only imagine the costs just to get it sent off.

I'm expecting to receive it back tomorrow and have just had a partial refund for this. I've checked the invoice and it states "REJECT".

I'm not disputing the individuals who verified / graded this at CBCS as they are going off what they see in front of them with regards to authenticity. I do know for certain that this item has been signed by Matt as I've put in a lot of research and comparison work into his signature. I have an image of him signing this specific comic at SDCC 2011 and have other images to provide proof he was there on that particular day to match the image I have of him signing the comic. I know you aren't meant to include any images with a submission to CBCS as they aren't really going to take this into account or are they?

What do you fellow collectors suggest I do to get this signature verified? I would have thought I would have had some contact with CBCS to ask if I had any proof to provide to go with the authenticity?

I am attempting to get the image of Matt signing this without the watermarks. I did purchase this comic off a reputable Auto selling company known as "aroundthegroundsmemorabilia"

Please see the attached images of -

The comic itself that I will add as another note to this thread (won't let me add it to this one)

Matt signing the exact same comic.

Images of Matt wearing the same outfit at SDCC 2011 pictured signing this comic.

Another comic signed by Matt certified by CGC at the same SDCC 2011 convention.

Please give opinions and guidance as to what I should do from here?

Thanks

Dan

Post 1 IP   flag post

Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@DMC a rejection does not mean it's fake...it means it couldn't be verified.

you can try again using this tool: clickable text
Post 3 IP   flag post
@GAC Thanks. I've just submitted this to be reviewed by Beckett.

If they verify the signature, what do you suggest I do from there? Thanks for the help.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
There is no way to guarantee that it will be verified. As @GAC mentioned, an unverified signature does not mean that it is fake, only that it could not be verified.

The Beckett Signature review is not a replacement for their signature verification process (Beckett does the signature verification for CBCS books). The results even only say “likely” or “not likely” so even if the Beckett Signature review says it is likely to pass verification, it is not evidence that can be used to force them to verify the signature.

You COULD try resubmitting the book but that is no guarantee that you will get a different result.

Signature verification works on the characteristics of the signature itself compared to known authentic copies in their database not on CoAs or photos. The photos you provided can’t really been taken as evidence that the copy you are submitting is the book in the photo. Yes it shows that Groening has signed copies of the book but they don’t serve as evidence for Beckett/CBCS to verify it
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
That CGC yellow label of the same book - the signatures sure look different. One of the autograph fiends on here can go into more detail
Post 6 IP   flag post
@the420bandito I noticed that as well. I’m not saying it is fake, but it is understandable that it may not pass verification.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Many of us have signatures that fail verification. There really is nothing more to do on that front. Maybe just get it slabbed without attempting to verify the signature? Then keep your supporting documentation for the signature. The only need for verification is to sell the item. If you feel the supporting documents should be evidence enough for CBCS...then they would likely be evidence enough for the next buyer.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia I wasn't planning on ever selling this comic but I would as a preference like it if it was slabbed with a yellow label.

I wanted to display it next to my other signature slabs without having to frame up some images of Matt signing it as the yellow slab would be more than enough. Just the way I have my collection set up.

@dielinfinite I've got other items signed by Matt and his sig is forever changing but there are always consistencies that I have picked up on that are present in this signature. I would agree with you that there are some differences between the two but that will always be the case with sigs. Thanks for all the comments on this post, appreciate it.

I have just sent off some pics to Beckett to see what their view on it is. If they believe it to be genuine which I expect it to be then I might send it off again with the hopes that it is verified the second time round, just takes a bit of time obtaining the funds to do so when it costs $200 to complete the whole process.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@DMC Again, just to be clear, Beckett has already reviewed your book since they do the signature verification for CBCS.

The Beckett signature review is not Beckett saying they believe the signature is genuine. Their response will be wither “likely” or “unlikely” to pass verification and either way is no guarantee of a specific result when the book is submitted for full verification.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I’ve just got a response back off Beckett -

With this in mind with them saying it is likely to pass verification. Would I be able to attach this along with other photographs to prove authenticity if I was to send this through to CBCS again or do they not take into consideration the pictures / evidence i’ve provided?

I know you mention I can’t use this above “likely to pass” response to suede the reviewer but it wouldn’t hurt to add?

Thanks again for all the help this was my first time submitting to cbcs and I’m not mad that they said it wasn’t legitimate but I would like to contest with evidence as they previously had nothing to go off.
Post 11 IP   flag post
@DMC You can throw anything you want in there, I suppose it wouldn’t hurt but it won’t be considered either. Signature verification is only based on the physical characteristics of the signature compared to examples in their database. They don’t use photos, certificates of authenticity, etc to verify signatures. Your pictures certainly show Groening signing a copy of the book but it is hardly proof that it is the copy you submitted for verification.

Beckett’s signature Review (the service you used just now) also looks at the signature itself but is a less thorough look at the signature than full verification (the service they performed on your book when it was submitted to CBCS) so it can be true that a book was reviewed as likely to pass verification but still fail full verification

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMC
I’m not mad that they said it wasn’t legitimate

They did not say it was not legitimate. They said that it failed to pass their verification. There are plenty of instances when the signature was obtained in person by the person submitting the book for verification so failing verification is not them determining the signature is fake, just that, for whatever reason, the signature varies too far from the examples in their database for them to comfortably put their reputation behind its authenticity.

You can certainly spend another $200 to run it through verification again and there have been purported instances where a book fails verification but passes on the second time but at that point you’ll have spent $400 and there is no guarantee that it will be verified even the second time. Since you are so convinced of its authenticity and have no intention of selling, maybe encase it in a Comic Skin with your own label and everything
Post 12 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@DMC I know it's frustrating to have a signature fail but you have to also consider the consequences to the company of ever being revealed as verifying a false signature. A failed signature is frustrating to you or I, but a failed reputation would be catastrophic for the company. Best I understand, the signature is evaluated digitally, not manually. I don't think there is any amount of persuasion or supporting evidence that can be offered to alter the evaluation. I don't think a physical person is making a judgement call on it. If it failed the first time, I would be really surprised if it passes a second time.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Al alternate solution might be to attend a con where both the signer and CBCS are present and have him provide testimony to them he did sign said book, and that is his signature. It might not be enough even then but it sure would be some good persuasion for your viewpoint
Post 14 IP   flag post
600852 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?