Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@MySlabs - When browsing a title, for example X-Men, how do I turn off the feature that keeps randomly adding an infinite number of books that were already displayed? I don’t want to waste my time re-seeing books again and again, I just want to see what’s available.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector MySlabs private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry you're experiencing this. We've researched this and it seems to be an Apple iOS issue as it happens in various contexts with an infinite scrolling feed. One's bandwidth at any given time also seems to impact this. We may implement something down the road where only a certain number of items load and then one would have to click to another page and so on to view more content (as opposed to just scrolling).
Post 102 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It would be great if we could click on the book to enlarge the image. Moving the mouse around to see partially enlarged parts of the book here and there is maddening.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Sorry that's your experience! We actually A/B tested this feature with something similar to what you're suggesting and the majority of folks preferred to be able to hyper-zoom in on edges/corners and so on in this way especially those on a mobile device (like 75% of site browsers).
Post 104 IP   flag post
I prefer not to by a book off my cell phone. I like to see the entire book and not just the assigned grade. You can't really trust those. I'm old and probably not your target audience, lol.
Post 105 IP   flag post

Totally understand, lol. If you're working on a desktop and close on something you can always right click and save the image to your local machine and then manipulate in your viewer of choice.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@MySlabs

Quick question for you. When you send an offer, does the seller see who it is from?
Post 107 IP   flag post
No, bidder is anonymous until the offer is accepted of course!
Post 108 IP   flag post
@MySlabs Could you add what I am about to say to your selling guidelines or maybe send a note to the guilty sellers?

When asking hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars for a comic book, take it out of the freaking bag before taking a picture of it. Some of us like to look at more than just the number before deciding to make a purchase.

Watson aka Grumpy Old Man
Post 109 IP   flag post
If you ever catch something specific always feel free to forward a link to the team via the support tab and they'll contact the "offender", haha.
Post 110 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I will give myslabs a whirl. Ebay practices are pretty terrible - review manipulation, awful “ai-based” customer service and possibly other sordid practices.

F-ebay. Have done literally tens of thousands of $ in business with them over the past 3 months alone and I left one negative review - first negative review EVER - and they let the seller hide it 2 hours after I posted it. Still no explanation after dealing with their “customer service” for hours… makes me realize how distorted reviews are for high volume sellers.

Will happily shift my future business to myslabs.
Post 111 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave

Sounds similar to a negative I left for a seller once. Long story short bought a slab, case was described as perfect, paid to ship the book priority. Seller shipped it media mail and the case had giant scratch across the entire front of the case. Wasn't shown in the pictures. I never said anything about leaving bad feedback or mention feedback at all. Seller said they would shoot me a partial refund to get it reslabbed. I waited and waited. Never sent the partial refund so I left negative feedback. I remember just checking a couple months later and the seller had 0 negatives.
Post 112 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@Davethebrave

Sounds similar to a negative I left for a seller once. Long story short bought a slab, case was described as perfect, paid to ship the book priority. Seller shipped it media mail and the case had giant scratch across the entire front of the case. Wasn't shown in the pictures. I never said anything about leaving bad feedback or mention feedback at all. Seller said they would shoot me a partial refund to get it reslabbed. I waited and waited. Never sent the partial refund so I left negative feedback. I remember just checking a couple months later and the seller had 0 negatives.

Yeah, I had never previously left negative feedback with any seller after literally hundreds of transactions over years. If there were big issues I could usually resolve by speaking with the sellers.

This time the seller was flat out dishonest and so I had to leave the neg.

Ebay runs customer service in a laughably automated manner even when dealing with live people. Have escalated the issue on principle alone and my only goal has been feedback restoration. In one of the last exchanges they admitted the feedback was accurate and should not have been removed but that once it is removed they cannot add it back. Laughable.

It isn’t over with them just yet. I have had great success doing side research to locate most dealers’ non ebay sites and do biz that way but it is a pain…

This alternative looks good!
Post 113 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I do like how simple it is, how it knows if the customer is in the same state and the seller and lists " tax" in red next to the cost,

@flanders I didn't know that and was wondering how that would work. Glad to hear it's been handled.

Quote:
Although the guys at shortboxed seem great, I think myslabs makes their site obsolete and exposes many of their limitations.

I would add that the tax implications are massive. The industry didn't need another Ebay-like selling platform. The industry needed an AutoTrader-like or Craigslist-like "introduction" platform. That's the need that Myslabs.com fills. Unlikely to have sales tax obligations, no direct IRS reporting requirements. The need is going to get bigger in 2022. And then of course there's the 9% fee savings. Add it up and it is 18% to 35% saved between buyer and seller.

There's no way to get around paying state sales taxes on MySlabs sales, you have to collect them from the buyer. If not, you'll have to pay for each one of them.

Sellers are responsible for collecting state sales tax in virtually all 50 states except Delaware, you WILL end up getting billed by the IRS for any unpaid state sales tax.

If you have 200 sales in 1 year or $20,000.00 in online sales, you will also have to pay 28% estate sales tax on EVERY sale made that year due to a provision in "The Great American Rescue Plan" lowers this $20K threshhold to $600.00, effective next year.

None of the new tax laws can be avoided unless one were to break the law and get paid for sales through non-merchandise payments like Paypal "friends & family" payments or personal checks/money orders....that limits sellers to selling in Facebook and Instagram "comic raffle" groups.

Ironically, slabs sold thru raffles routinely get above GPA....and they pay NO seller fees or taxes.

I think MySlabs has a lot of potential, given the fact that the 1% commission will ease the pain of the ARP provision by 11.5% for the average ebay comic seller ; which will effectively ratchet up seller/transaction & taxes up to 50% of the gross sale price of any given online sale.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/its-going-to-get-harder-to-avoid-telling-the-irs-about-income-from-online-sales.html
Post 114 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@ComicHoarder I believe you only need to collect sales tax if you do a substantial amount of business in a state or you sell to someone who lives in the same state as you. As a California seller I could sell 490 comics (10 books to buyers in each state other than CA) and not have to collect any sales tax.
Post 115 IP   flag post
Collector PolarisNuclearSS2020 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@ComicHoarder I believe you only need to collect sales tax if you do a substantial amount of business in a state or you sell to someone who lives in the same state as you. As a California seller I could sell 490 comics (10 books to buyers in each state other than CA) and not have to collect any sales tax.

It varies from state to state but nearly all 50 states require online sellers to collect state sales tax.

Quote:

No longer the case since 2018.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/states-with-internet-sales-tax
Post 116 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@ComicHoarder You're misunderstanding the law. People and businesses doing sales across state lines do not have a sales tax obligation in the other state unless their business is significant enough to be considered a "de facto" presence in that state. In the chart you put up I clicked on 10 states at random and they all said minimum sales threshold was $100,000 or greater. So you have to sell more than $100,000 into that state to be considered to have a de facto presence.
Post 117 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
The whole discussion of taxes generally puts a knot in my stomach. That's why I pay someone $300 a year to do my taxes and "make it all go away".

Since the American Rescue Act, and this $600 instead of $20k/200, followed by ebay sales tax. Followed by cross state crap, followed by hobby vs business, followed by "may be taxable" vs "is taxable" followed by what's considered "this" and considered "that" is enough to put me over the edge.
The whole confusing complexity just seems really wrong at some level.
I need things to be black or white; no mays; no coulds; no mights; no only in state x, but only with state y.
This new crap forces average Joe to either get charged more from their current financial advisor or to seek out a financial advisor if one doesn't have one.
It's maddening and beyond that
Post 118 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm also more concerned about the 28% collectible long term capital gains tax. It makes me somewhat motivated to flip comics before I've owned them for more than a year since I'm in the lowest income tax bracket and my tax obligation won't skyrocket.
Post 119 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Since the American Rescue Act, and this $600 instead of $20k/200, followed by ebay sales tax. Followed by cross state crap, followed by hobby vs business, followed by "may be taxable" vs "is taxable" followed by what's considered "this" and considered "that" is enough to put me over the edge.

@Nuffsaid111 If you think navigating the tax system without a Sherpa is hard, try the legal system. I think it's true that these industries intentionally create a complex situation that requires you to hire a Sherpa to guide you through. But the irony is that nothing has changed regarding your tax obligations, they are the same as they were previously. Reporting requirements changed for the companies that we do business through.
Post 120 IP   flag post
@flanders You and I are such small fish, If you were to accidentally or intentionally claim collectible gains as ordinary income I think the chances of you getting called on it are one in a thousand. And even then it's survivable.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Update on my experience with Myslabs: sold three books now, the latest was FF2 CGC 3.0. Buyer had contacted me through my Ebay listing wanting to make an offer. I asked if he had checked out the listings on My Slabs. He figured out what I meant and purchased this afternoon. I also used Myslabs to purchase a House of Secrets 92. With the sales tax savings I probably paid $250 less than than it would have cost me anywhere else.

Anyone else have any sales or purchases there?
Post 122 IP   flag post
I would like to buy something but prices are still too high there. Also, I have to browse the site in the bathroom or behind a locked door due to all the nude slabs on the site.
Post 123 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
I would like to buy something but prices are still too high there. Also, I have to browse the site in the bathroom or behind a locked door due to all the nude slabs on the site.

@moodswing I can't really disagree with any of that. The genre tends to go seller by seller, and sellers do seem to list their books in groups so you can come across a full page of nekid ladies there. I think the fair priced stuff sells fast because of those of us who get the extra savings of sales tax will look to jump on them. Also have to look for opportunities to make offers.
Post 124 IP   flag post
@moodswing Two things that I've figured out that have been helpful: 1) If you see a book you like you have to click on it to see if they accept offers, I don't think there is anything on the initial page indicating that offers are accepted. 2) If you see a reasonably priced book, even if you are not interested you can click through to see the sellers entire inventory to see if they have anything you do like. That's how I found my HOS 92, by clicking on a reasonably priced book and then clicking on "see sellers entire inventory".
Post 125 IP   flag post
Glad you guys are having some success transacting on the platform. With regard to the nudity, we've addressed a couple of the sellers where the inventory seemed to be coming from and also added a note to the image upload flow essentially stating that nudity isn't allowed. We're a bit old school and figured risque would perhaps be some Frank Frazetta covers, lol. Clearly certain modern titles take it to a completely different level (as the board member here pointed out) and we felt it was necessary to address it. Let's try to keep it to capes and tights
Post 126 IP   flag post
My issue is simply the amount of time wasted on high $ asking prices for reprints of what I am searching for.

Hard to fix except requiring everyone to check yes/no to a reprint field, include as a filter, and penalizing people who circumvent.

Ebay has a similar issue (among many bigger issues) but the mix of original vs reprint is more balanced so I am burning less time.
Post 127 IP   flag post
@MySlabs

Is there currently any prohibition against selling the CBCS Raw Grade books on the site? Other than the name of the company having "slabs" in it, I haven't seen any restriction. Should I try putting a couple up and see what happens? They are sealed in mylar with a tamper-evident sticker and present like this:

Post 128 IP   flag post
As of now it's full-on slabs only, however we have been discussing the possibility of opening up raw on the comics category only (not cards) as a beta-test. It's delicate bc of the customer service issues raw transactions may create, but we're seriously considering it.

Keep you guys posted and certainly open to hearing any thoughts/feelings from you guys on this!

Thanks,
Ken
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MySlabs
As of now it's full-on slabs only, however we have been discussing the possibility of opening up raw on the comics category only (not cards) as a beta-test. It's delicate bc of the customer service issues raw transactions may create, but we're seriously considering it.

Keep you guys posted and certainly open to hearing any thoughts/feelings from you guys on this!

Thanks,
Ken

@MySlabs Ken, please just make sure your team understands the difference between raw and CBCS Raw Grade. A CBCS Raw Grade book has been graded and checked for restoration by CBCS and then bagged in a mylar with a tamper-evident sticker. The only thing that's lacking is the actual slab. It's a service that CBCS offers for a reduced price vs. slabbing. It's very different than just raw books. If you open it up to raw books it will turn into a shit show. But opening it up to CBCS Raw Grade could bring in some nice inventory that sells quickly.
Post 130 IP   flag post
601383 132 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?