Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Marvel vs DC/Amalgam Custom Bind Project Progress14941

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I mentioned this in threads before but it's kind of out grown the original topic so I'm starting a new one.

Basically, I'm working on a custom bound collection of the Marvel vs DC/Amalgam crossovers from the mid-90s. I have all the materials I need to complete the first volume but it does require some work. The second volume I'm still missing a copy of Previews from 97. The only copy I've found for sale would cost like $40 since it is in the UK so I've been reluctant to lay down the money for a book I'm going to tear apart and scan. If you have or know where I can find a copy, please let me know!

But this thread isn't for begging for that one last book I need. This is more to share progress on the project.

I've been working on the pages I'm gonna print out. Here are the first pages including title page, credits, and foreword. The Marvel Vision cover will be part of the bonus features at the end of the book. Actually, now that I think about, it should probably be followed with the Amalgam foreword and the afterwords will come before the the bonus features.

I'm trying to only reprint bonus pages with unrelated material on the back, at least for Marvel Visions since they're the only comic-sized bonus features I'm including. The rest are magazine-sized and larger so I will have to reprint them entirely. Or I might reconstruct them, like I did with the foreword, which is taken from the Marvel vs DC trade paperback but I retyped it since I didn't want to tear apart the trade to scan it.

The big outside margins are because these will be printed on standard letter-sized paper, trimed down, and included among the comics for the bindery.

Post 1 IP   flag post
So the document with the bonus features came out to 44 pages front and back. I’ll continue shopping around and playing with options but printing it on glossy paper (trying to match the comic book pages) would being it to about $55. I get the feeling the paper weight is heaver than I would like but I’m not seeing a wealth of options for glossy paper
Post 2 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
The level of thoroughness you are going through is commendable. Is there any way more copies could be compiled upon completion without cutting up another complete set of comics?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks! I’m very productive when the mood strikes me…it would be nice if it struck more often 😂

As for compiling additional copies, not really, at least not how I’m understanding you.

Since I’m not scanning the comic pages themselves, itt would require either another set of comics or the trades, which are overly expensive and have inferior page quality (newsprint vs modern glossy) to the individual issues, though they do lack the ads, which is a plus.
Post 4 IP   flag post
OMG! A copy of the Previews Magazine I was missing hit ebay and it’s here in the states and MUCH cheaper than the one I would’ve had to ship in from the UK! I’m making an offer on it now!

As for the printing, I had a thought that what they describe as “high gloss” might be more of a photo paper type stock so I’m gonna try stopping by a Staples or Kinko’s so I can see what paper stocks they have available that might closely match the comic book pages
Post 5 IP   flag post
Okay, the last issue of Previews I need arrives today so I’ll be starting on the scanning over the weekend.

One thing I’d like ideas on is what to sub-title the the second book.

The first, as seen above is “Marvel vs DC Volume One - Showdown of the Century” (I’ll be reversing the DC vs Marvel seen above). “Showdown of the Century is a tagline used in a lot of the advertising.

For book 2 instead of “Marvel vs DC”. I’ll be changing it to Dc/Marvel” to match the All Access mini-series that follows Marvel vs DC

I’ll dig more through the material I’ve gathered but another major tagline hadn’t stood out to me aside from “One Name, One Universe, One More Time” but that’s a bit long to use all together and I don’t think the individual components are strong enough.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite:
If you are using "Marvel vs DC Volume One - Showdown of the Century” for the first one, then just use “DC/Marvel Volume Two - AMALGAM Year Two!” for the second one.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks! I did have something similar in mind. I’m just not sure how I feel about the repetition in Volume Two/Year Two. It is currently my front-runner
Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite - You have to use Volume Two to match the first, but you can use Year 2 or Year II to change it up a little.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I can easily go back and change the first book, so I’m not married to anything just yet. I’ve been thinking of changing it from “Volume” to “Year”. so Marvel vs DC would be Year One and Year two might be “All Access” or something. Work’s been super crazy today so I haven’t really been able to focus on this
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
How about DC/Marvel 2.0 - Ultimate Access (or Access Granted). I am just thinking of a way you could implement Access into the title.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I haven’t really had a chance to work on this but I did stop by Staples to review some paper stocks and picked out something similar but a bit nicer than the standard comic paper. Unfortunately they don’t have a wide variety but at least I know what to look for.

I found a printer online that seems like they could do the print job suspiciously cheap on the same paper. I’ll probably give them a shot. If it works out then yay! If not then I’m not out very much money.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Okay, I finally got back to working on this. I've broken out all the pages I need to scan and I should get that done on Sunday. Today I completed the title page, credits, and forward for volume 2.

I decided to go with "One Name, One Universe" as the subtitle for book 2, referring back to that tagline. I hope it's not obvious but the title and credits pages had quite a bit of photoshop work. On the credits page, Iron Lantern had to be added in and the title page had to have text removed, some compositing and some recomposition @_@

Post 13 IP   flag post
Alrighty, I've wrapped up the pages to be printed. Sixty pages total, so 120 pages front and back. Book 1 gets 86 pages and the remaining 34 going into book 2. This is offset slightly by the fact that book 2 has a few more issues (17 vs 20) in the book so they are roughly the same length.

I'll order the pages printed this week and should get them back about a week later. The next steps would be to cut up the comics to remove back covers and page wraps that are half ads and put everything together into blocks for the binderies. They'll then provide the dimensions so I can make the images for the boards and the dust jackets.
Post 14 IP   flag post
The pages have been printed and are on the way back.

Starting to look at the binding options and they’ve gone up since I’ve used them last >_<

I’ve been thinking of going with an oversew binding but I’m a little concerned about how much it will eat into the margin. I’ll see how think the books end up being once ai’ve compiled everything. If they’re over the 2” threshold then I’ll probably go with a PUR binding since it can handle the various paper stocks better than the standard DFAB binding.

Definitely going with a graphic cover but not sure if I’m going to go with a dust jacket

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats on getting this project nearly completed.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I got the printouts today. Looks like they sent me two copies. I got them done at SpinnPrint, which for this paper stock was priced at like half of what Staples or Kinko’s were quoting and they did the custom trimming for free as well!

I did notice a mistake on my part where the last line or two was cut off on one page. I might just reprint that one page at staples or something.

Next I need to trim off the back covers and any remaining ad pages from the books and I’ll have the final text blocks!

Post 17 IP   flag post
All trimmed and compiled! I’ll be mailing them in towards the end of next month.

I’ve decided to go with the oversew binding and dust jackets. I’ll have to wait until I get the final dimensions for each book before I can put the covers and dust jackets together but I can start choosing the artwork. For book one I am probably going with the Marvel Spotlight poster.

Post 18 IP   flag post
just bumping the thread so it doesn’t get archived
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Been watching/stalking this process Cannot wait to see the final product.

Shame DC and Marvel cannot come together to do what you're doing.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@Hcanes Thanks! I appreciate it!

Now that I think of it, it has been a while since Marvel and DC’s last big crossover. Was that JLA/Avengers back in 2003?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I forgot about that one.

The Amalgam universe was great. I loved the small details like the footnote references to see prior issues that didn't exist. I miss the company crossovers of the 90s

Image & Marvel
Marvel & Top Cow
Even Valiant & Image
Post 22 IP   flag post
Amalgam was pretty neat. They took the gimmick a little beyond the comics as well with the forwards of the TPB being written by an amalgamation of the Editors in Chief of Marvel and DC at the time and referring creators and crossovers/events that also merged famous names from both companies.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a new batch of Amalgam books. We’ve certainly seen enough new faces from both companies to populate a new run.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Okay, books should be on their way to the bindery today with estimated delivery on Tuesday
Post 24 IP   flag post
And delivered!
Post 25 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Amalgam was pretty neat. They took the gimmick a little beyond the comics as well with the forwards of the TPB being written by an amalgamation of the Editors in Chief of Marvel and DC at the time and referring creators and crossovers/events that also merged famous names from both companies.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a new batch of Amalgam books. We’ve certainly seen enough new faces from both companies to populate a new run.

Could you imagine the spec madness 🤣 It was out of control during Marvel's latest secret wars where they were mashing up characters.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Hcanes I wonder if speculation would be more relaxed because the characters would be co-owned and so they wouldn’t have many future appearances

Or if speculation would be intensified because they wouldn’t have many future appearances?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I stumbled on this article from last year. . Seems like there’s plenty of interest from creators for a Marvel/DC crossover
Post 28 IP   flag post
It’s been nearly 3 weeks since the book was delivered but that’s not out of the ordinary. Their turnaround time is estimated at 6-8 weeks. They don’t update throughout the process and don’t reach out until they need the artwork for the covers/dust jackets or if they have questions

Apparently orders are normally checked in within two weeks and most questions come up at that point. Since I’m past that point I guess they don’t have questions and I am waiting on their art request.

In the meantime, I am planning my next custom bind project. This one will collect Marvel’s 2020 The End series as a volume 2 to my collection of the first

There will be a pretty big difference in the two as the first book was like 30+ issues (18 of those were Chris Claremont’s trilogy of X-Men mini-series). The 2020 run was just 6. I waited a bit to see if they announced any more but it has been over a year now and no new ones have come up, so might as well start prepping

Post 29 IP   flag post
It’s been a bit of a wait but I’ve finally received the dimensions for my books so I can provide cover files! Nearing the end!
Post 30 IP   flag post
601493 45 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?