Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Marvel vs DC/Amalgam Custom Bind Project Progress14941

Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Amalgam was pretty neat. They took the gimmick a little beyond the comics as well with the forwards of the TPB being written by an amalgamation of the Editors in Chief of Marvel and DC at the time and referring creators and crossovers/events that also merged famous names from both companies.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a new batch of Amalgam books. We’ve certainly seen enough new faces from both companies to populate a new run.

Could you imagine the spec madness 🤣 It was out of control during Marvel's latest secret wars where they were mashing up characters.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Hcanes I wonder if speculation would be more relaxed because the characters would be co-owned and so they wouldn’t have many future appearances

Or if speculation would be intensified because they wouldn’t have many future appearances?
Post 27 IP   flag post
I stumbled on this article from last year. . Seems like there’s plenty of interest from creators for a Marvel/DC crossover
Post 28 IP   flag post
It’s been nearly 3 weeks since the book was delivered but that’s not out of the ordinary. Their turnaround time is estimated at 6-8 weeks. They don’t update throughout the process and don’t reach out until they need the artwork for the covers/dust jackets or if they have questions

Apparently orders are normally checked in within two weeks and most questions come up at that point. Since I’m past that point I guess they don’t have questions and I am waiting on their art request.

In the meantime, I am planning my next custom bind project. This one will collect Marvel’s 2020 The End series as a volume 2 to my collection of the first

There will be a pretty big difference in the two as the first book was like 30+ issues (18 of those were Chris Claremont’s trilogy of X-Men mini-series). The 2020 run was just 6. I waited a bit to see if they announced any more but it has been over a year now and no new ones have come up, so might as well start prepping

Post 29 IP   flag post
It’s been a bit of a wait but I’ve finally received the dimensions for my books so I can provide cover files! Nearing the end!
Post 30 IP   flag post

So I was sure what I wanted for the cover for book one so I was able to knock this out pretty quick.

I have a few images in mind for the front of the dust jacket

The cover of the trade or issues 1 or 3

Book 2 is mostly Amalgam but it's a bit hard to find good pinup work encompassing Amalgam as a whole. It'd be cool if I could find a hi-resolution, cleaned up version of the Secret Crisis of the Infinity Hour set from the trading cards

There are a couple of posters that can work but I will have to track them down (I'm kind of annoyed that I wasn't able to add these into the books themselves). The Joe Madureira one looks cool but I can't seem to find a reasonably priced copy.

Post 31 IP   flag post
I'm thinking this will be the imagery for the dust jacket. Still needs the text added

I also realized that most of my year 2 stuff is actually in the book so I no longer have it available for high resolution scans. I'll have to dig around to see what material I have that I can use for book 2
Post 32 IP   flag post
Ugh, I just realized I missed the first page of a Wizard article I had included in the book. Now that's gonna bug me for the rest of my life lol. Maybe I'll print it off and slide the loose page into the book
Post 33 IP   flag post
Okay, the covers for both books. I'm not sure I'm entirely happy with book 2's cover yet. I might move Super Soldier to the back and rogue to the front so I have 1 big and 1 small character on each cover instead of the front cover almost covered by large characters

Post 34 IP   flag post
Okay! Book 2 cover and the book 1 dust jacket!

Post 35 IP   flag post
Okay, Book 1

Book 2

Post 36 IP   flag post
The books are finished and will ship out today!

The only thing left to do after they arrive is to carefully cut out one page and glue in two new ones to fix/add that page I missed
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
This is an awesome project. I would love to work on a project like this, but I don't think I'd have the patience to track down all of the books. I'd probably lose interest halfway into the project. Congrats on completing it and finally getting it back from the binders. Can't wait to see the finished project.
Post 38 IP   flag post
lol Thanks!

Yeah these kinds of projects can definitely require a bit of patience, especially if it’s got a lot of parts that you need to assemble. I like the process and designing the covers, pages, etc, and of course I love materializing those “wouldn’t it be cool if this book existed” ideas
Post 39 IP   flag post
You did an excellent job in putting everything together. Nice job!
Post 40 IP   flag post
Thank you!
Post 41 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
have all the amalgram issues. they were fun but felt the mixes were too random.

Iron man and green lantern
-shouldve been iron man/batman= iron bat, and green lantern/nova= green nova

-hulk and solomon grundy. shouldve been hulk and captain atom. both have simular origins.
Post 42 IP   flag post
The books came in a day early and I love how they came out for the most part!

Here are some shots with the dust jackets. The second book is ever so slightly shorter in height but I tried to align the art on the spines.

And shots without the jackets.

The main imperfections are the previously mentioned missing page. I’ve got the replacement pages printed up but I’m gonna read up on techniques for tipping in pages before I cut out the bad page and implant the two corrected ones.

The other issue is that the Unlimited Access series has gatefold covers with “Previously…” information on them. In order to avoid them being trimmed away the binder had to double fold the covers. It worked pretty well for the most part and I can undo one of the fold on each issue without any visible sign of an issue except for the last cover where it looks like the inside edge wasn’t entirely flush with the spine so u doing that fold would have the page stick out significantly from the text block.

A minor quibble really, otherwise, I’m loving the books!
Post 43 IP   flag post
Very professional looking set! The OCD in me wants to know why the difference in height between the two volumes.
Post 44 IP   flag post
@50AE_DE Thank you!

The text blocks are cut to the size of the smallest page in the block. For some reason there was a pretty big range of variation in the Access books meaning the second volume was cut pretty small compared to volume one, resulting in the shorter book
Post 45 IP   flag post
601305 45 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?