Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestions

Anyone Out There Collect Baseball/Sports Cards?14927

Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m considering jumping back into the baseball/sports cards game, focusing on graded vintage rookie cards of HOFers and was wondering if there are any sites similar to GPA or GoCollect that aggregate past sales and determine a target FMV for sports cards. No surprise, but just like with comics, there is a huge difference in range of asking price for some cards on eBay. Also, any other places I should look for graded cards other than eBay, like the card equivalent of MCS? Thanks for the advice!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
There is the Beckett Marketplace. I don’t know any of the pros and cons of buying/selling there but it is a resource
Post 2 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
My little brothers are big into Football cards, some baseball and basketball.
PWCC is the biggest marketplace.
4sharpcorners is a PSA graded marketplace
Stockx is the online price guide a la GPA/GoCollect.
Post 3 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
My brothers say you are on the right track with avoiding moderns. New cards are heavily inflated, older HoF rookies have lagged behind in gains thus far, but have shown recent jumps.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector tonnage71 private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @Joosh. I know there is a lot of hype about the new sports cards coming out these days, but like has often been said on this board it’s best to “collect what you know and love.” I grew up a fan of 1980s baseball, and learned to love the game hearing my Dad talk about all the greats of the 1950s and 1960s. Those are the eras I plan to focus on for graded cards.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I dabble in it. I went on an estimate yesterday for a furnace and AC changeout. The customer was a friend and previous co-worker of one of my friends that I do HVAC work with. My friend gets a lot of work for us. We got talking about hobbies. He said he has a bunch of baseball cards from the 50s thru the 70s including a Nolan Ryan rookie card that he bought new in a pack when it came out. I told him that I buy collections and he seemed open to the idea of me buying the collection. Hopefully we get the job and I will pursue buying his collection. I will do a follow up here if it happens.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been an avid card collector for most of my life. My collecting youth was spent in the seventies and that’s were most of my sports hero are from.

I have spent decades assembling some of the finest seventies football sets in the hobby, including the one time #1 ranked 1972 Topps Football set on the PSA set registry.

Roger Staubach was my boyhood hero and not only the greatest football player I’ve ever seen, but one of the most honorable human beings I’ve ever known.

The world could surely use more Roger Staubachs’

I’ve also spent decades assembling sixties football sets, as well as a few select football sets from the fifties, including a 1955 Topps All American and 1957 Topps Football sets, featuring Jim Thorpe, Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr Rookies just to name a few.

I’ve also been an active member of most of the collector forums including PSA, Beckett, Net54 and the prestigious VFC(Vintage Football Community)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 1972, any reason for that year in particular?
Since it's 1972 you might have an above average appreciation for this:

It was given to my son by our neighbor Mr. Briscoe:

I know I posted this photo once before. As I searched for it I realized it was from February 2020...which sadly probably means it was the last time we would ever see him. The bar around the corner that he enjoyed closed in March and we moved in September before it re-opened. I'm glad we had the opportunity to get a picture.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh
My brothers say you are on the right track with avoiding moderns. New cards are heavily inflated, older HoF rookies have lagged behind in gains thus far, but have shown recent jumps.

While I’m not into the moderns myself, make no mistake that there is some seriously crazy money in some of the modern cards. Many are manufactured rarities and like graded comics condition is everything.

I’m more of a sentimental collector of the football heroes from my childhood of the seventies.

Here are two cards from my youth that have been in my collection for many years.

The 1976 Walter Payton Rookie and the 1978 Tony Dorsett Rookie have both experienced impressive monetary Gaines in recent years.

I believe I have $400 for the Walter Payton and $150 for the Tony Dorsett.

Considering the money they now command I’ve thought about actually selling them and just buying nicely centered mid grades of each for my sets.

Post 9 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia

That is a very cool photo of Marlon Brisco and your son!

He was on the Dolphin roster for the 1972 season, but the 72 Topps football set features events from the 1971 season in which the Roger Staubach and the Dallas Cowboys won their very 1st NFL championship for Tom Landry. The 1972 set also featured Roger Staubach’s Rookie card. In addition to his regular rookie card the set also featured his passing leader card, a “in action” card, as well as his iconic Super Bowl card. That’s what makes the 72 set so special to me.

The Marlon Brisco card from the 1972 set features his 1971 stats and his last year with the Buffalo Bills. The 1973 Topps Football set would feature his first Dolphin card and the undefeated season.

While Marlon Brisco was on the roster of the fabled 72 Dolphin team, I believe his biggest claim to fame would be his role in helping break the quarterback color barrier.

He was drafted in 1968 by The Dever Broncos and set a Broncos rookie record by throwing 14 touchdowns. an amazing feat considering the racial barriers he was facing at the time.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
While Marlon Brisco was on the roster of the fabled 72 Dolphin team, I believe his biggest claim to fame would be his role in helping break the quarterback color barrier.

@BigRedOne1944 He definitely mentioned being the first black quarterback. I'm not sure that has been fully recognized by the NFL, I had to look it up to confirm what he told me. From what he said, he moved to receiver fairly quickly and I believe receiver is the position he played at the Miami Dolphins. Just a great athlete over all. Obviously his body took a beating that aged him pretty good. Golf has been his sport for the last several years. He and my son met on the driving range initially before we realized that we lived a couple blocks apart.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

@BigRedOne1944 He definitely mentioned being the first black quarterback. I'm not sure that has been fully recognized by the NFL, I had to look it up to confirm what he told me. From what he said, he moved to receiver fairly quickly and I believe receiver is the position he played at the Miami Dolphins. Just a great athlete over all. Obviously his body took a beating that aged him pretty good. Golf has been his sport for the last several years. He and my son met on the driving range initially before we realized that we lived a couple blocks apart.

That is a super neat story and meeting with your son!

I also agree that Brisco’s story is the most unappreciated NFL story out there

He was soon after repositioned to wideout where he also excelled. He had a hell a vertical leap as legend has it.

Maybe it’s because I’m getting to be an old fart now, but I really miss football when it was a real game played by truely tough guys like Marlon Brisco

Here’s his card from my 1972 set

Post 12 IP   flag post
Funny how the eyes are the same over 50 years from one photo to the next. Everything else has changed but in both photos the eyes are like question marks. Not literally, but figuratively.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
One expensive hobby is enough for me. Just sayin....
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
One expensive hobby is enough for me. Just sayin....

Not all hobbies have to be expensive. While it’s true that higher grade cards can be expensive. The hobby can be enjoyed at a much lower cost in lower grades
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Ryan4421 private msg quote post Address this user

Speaking of 72 Topps...does anyone have any idea what this might be worth?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosh

While I’m not into the moderns myself, make no mistake that there is some seriously crazy money in some of the modern cards. Many are manufactured rarities and like graded comics condition is everything.

I’m more of a sentimental collector of the football heroes from my childhood of the seventies.

Here are two cards from my youth that have been in my collection for many years.

The 1976 Walter Payton Rookie and the 1978 Tony Dorsett Rookie have both experienced impressive monetary Gaines in recent years.

I believe I have $400 for the Walter Payton and $150 for the Tony Dorsett.

Considering the money they now command I’ve thought about actually selling them and just buying nicely centered mid grades of each for my sets.

@BigRedOne1944 as a Bears fan, super envious of the Walter Payton. My friend bought a locker full of sports cards mid 80s to mid 90s and out of curiosity I started pricing out cards that I was interested in years ago. You are absolutely right about the price of the Walter Payton rookie.
Post 17 IP   flag post

@BigRedOne1944 as a Bears fan, super envious of the Walter Payton. My friend bought a locker full of sports cards mid 80s to mid 90s and out of curiosity I started pricing out cards that I was interested in years ago. You are absolutely right about the price of the Walter Payton rookie.

@Hcanes Thanks for the comments on the cards.

Here are the top 3 Rookie cards from my 1957 Topps Football Set

Post 18 IP   flag post
Walter Payton..."Sweetness"...greatest nickname of all time? Top 10 at least?
Post 19 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
I collect baseball cards … none of any value haha.

Most of my collection was 80s and so mass produced and virtually worthless. Considered buying some of the classics but unlike comic books, which I feel are direct representations of their cultural impact (like artwork) baseball cards feel more like indirect nostalgia and historical artifacts. So for me they have to be truly rare to be interesting (honus, some mm, etc). I am still happy holding on to my virtually worthless collection though :-)
Post 20 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Oh - and the modern card market is an artificially inflated bubble of greater fools. I would not touch that garbage.

You can produce a 1 of 1 all day and it should not be worth what people are paying.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector bennyb86 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan4421
Speaking of 72 Topps...does anyone have any idea what this might be worth?

This might be an apples to oranges situation as I don't collect cards but as far as Garbage Pail Kids I know uncut sheets tend to be more valuable that a whole set depending on the condition. I've seen about a 3 to 4 times multiplier depending on the condition.
Post 22 IP   flag post
600893 22 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?