Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Do the newer slabs offer any sort of UV protection?14896

Collector nightsnotover private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering if the new slabs protected comics from UV light. I know Ultra Pro's acrylic display cases do, but Ultra Pro is not a grading service. So what about the new slabs from CBCS? As far as I can tell, the old slabs did not protect from UV light at all.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I don't believe so, other than simply being a barrier between the book and light. I'm pretty sure it still allows UV light through.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
no it doesn't. However I do think it has a vent for off gassing.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
E Gerber Mylites are made out of their impregnated “Mylar D” which is 99% UV protective. They make bags large enough for slabs.

I’m not sure if the slabs offer any UV protection.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
E Gerber Mylites are made out of their impregnated “Mylar D” which is 99% UV protective.

I didn't know this- Has it been this way for a while, or is it new-ish?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
At least in the last 3-4 since I’ve been collecting. Before that IDK.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
At least in the last 3-4 since I’ve been collecting. Before that IDK.

Thanks, I'll need to look into this. It's probably been 6-7 years since I purchased any, and I don't recall that being a feature.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Steve Borock stated there is very slight UV protection from the new slabs
Post 8 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
More UV adds more of the blue tinge....could make the slabs opaque to really protect the books?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@GAC Not that I doubt you but do you recall when/where he stated this?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsnotover

I think it was in one of his interviews with a youtube person
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
E. Gerber products reportedly offer UV Protection:

clickable text

Anyone want to conduct an experiment to see how well it works?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
E. Gerber products reportedly offer UV Protection:

clickable text

Anyone want to conduct an experiment to see how well it works?

That’s what I said 😒

😋
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightsnotover

I think it was in one of his interviews with a youtube person

Yes, I don't remember exactly which youtube it was...I think he stated it here on the forum was well. He did say it....its marginal UV protection..very little but there's some.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
Just FYI, even 1% UV is terrible for anything with pigments and dyes. If you're in a room with windows to outdoors, I wouldn't recommend putting up books.

Kills me to not display stuff.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I am almost wondering if I should make or buy a dark tarp for my spinner rack. It is in my dark basement with only light through 1 block basement window on the other side of the basement. I would have to remove the tarp each time to enjoy it though. I currently am down there 2 to 4 times a week doing some bagging,boarding,cpr,sorting etc... Or maybe I should invest in Mylar bags for slabs.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Or maybe I should invest in Mylar bags for slabs.

I've been using slab mylars for over a year. They look great, you should do this even just for display purposes.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
I am almost wondering if I should make or buy a dark tarp for my spinner rack. It is in my dark basement with only light through 1 block basement window on the other side of the basement. I would have to remove the tarp each time to enjoy it though. I currently am down there 2 to 4 times a week doing some bagging,boarding,cpr,sorting etc... Or maybe I should invest in Mylar bags for slabs.

I love how that display setup looks! Maybe you could curtains for your window instead?
Post 18 IP   flag post
598060 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?