Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Are you less likely to collect books that are magazine size?14895

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I've noticed that some of the first or early appearances in Magazine size books don't get the love that other firsts would get. In particular I'm thinking of Starlord and Rocket in Marvel Preview 4 and 7. Also the story from Star Wars 48 originally ran in Marvel Super Special 16 which doesn't carry nearly the same value. Also there are some very early Punisher and Moon Knight appearances that are pretty inexpensive in Magazines. I'm sure the print runs were low in these magazines. Are they just not as collectible because of their size? Is it a storage issue? Shipping issue? What's your position on collecting Magazine Size comics?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I collect treasuries myself, find it easy to fold them in half to fit in the comic box.

And I'm not talking about folding them length wise either 😂

Seriously, I don't go for magazines as I don't have the mylars to fit them and storage.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia can't explain but I prefer comics over magazines. Even having a signature or a sketch, I would take it on a comic than a mag, poster or board.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I've always been the same way about magazines. Slabbing is expensive and has to go through CGC, also storing is awkward. But now that I'm thinking more about the possibility of displaying rather than storing, they are growing on me. Some of the covers are pretty cool. I bought these 2 recently based 100% on the cover art:

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Josh7945 private msg quote post Address this user
Not at all. Some of my favorite books are magazine size. They are beautiful both way. I have actually been complaining weather to submit my Vampirella #1. What do you guys think?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Josh7945 private msg quote post Address this user
I just bought a 1-6 tomb of Dracula 1975. For $10
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Makes me no difference, I go where I need to , to get the art and stories I want.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Not less likely when purchased for myself. I love them and feel content is more cutting edge than comics from 60s, 70s, 80s

I am; however, less likely to purchase with intentions of selling.
Many Comic folk are very fickle and if magazines doesn't fit physically the way they want to see their collection, or doesn't fit in their mind they won't purchase.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I buy magazines mainly for the covers, although I do read the cool Conan or horror style stories inside too.
Cheaper is a bonus. I can get very high grades, unlike many comics that are priced too high for that.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I do not buy magazine size collectibles. No easy way to store them.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
I only had the TMNT 1, 2, 3, 4 and Marvel Preview Presents 2 in my collection So, 5 total books. Other than those, I never had an interest in other larger sized books.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I have some Treasuries and they fit nicely in Life Magazine size bags and boards.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
I love me some heavy metal magazines.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I collect Vampirella Vol 1, Howard the Duck, Heavy Metal, High Times, MAD, and Rampaging Hulk magazines. I have a current subscription to Heavy Metal and MAD.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector ERB_in_CLT private msg quote post Address this user
A question that is only slightly off-topic... does anyone have any experience getting over/magazine-sized books slabbed? Can they be pressed? I bought this on Mercari because it combines two of my favorite things...

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Love first appearances. If it’s magazine size, it’s fine by me.

(sorry for the glare)

Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I love them and feel content is more cutting edge than comics from 60s, 70s, 80s

You drummed up another childhood memory. The X-men were in Bizarre Adventures magazine when I was around 12 years old. The cover was too good to pass up. I remember the stories being much more mature than anything I had read before in comics. I think Jean Grey was haunted by the childhood memory of her sister being killed by a car and the psychic pain as she felt her sister die in her head.

Post 17 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
No
Post 18 IP   flag post
600776 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?