Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
I use MEDIA MAIL. When asked at the post office what I'm mailing I tell them comic books. It first they didn't know if comic books qualified for "Media mail", they asked and agreed comic books do qualify, so I've been sending my comic books to CBCS, buyers, mycomicshop, comiclink and Canada (Secret Santa) for the last ten years or so and I've had no problems or complaints.
You also cannot say you have had no complaints or problems...because it is the usually the person being delivered to, who gets disturbed by the postal carrier banging on the door demanding the difference between what you paid and priority rate. Just because noone has complained yet does not mean that it has not happened.
It is a violation of postal regulations .Arguing otherwise is simply attempting to defend being cheap and defrauding the postal service.

Nevermind if the package is opened and in the process the comics are damaged, or worse, the postal service opts to return to sender so they can instead resend the entire mess and pay entirely over again.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Quote:
I use MEDIA MAIL. When asked at the post office what I'm mailing I tell them comic books. It first they didn't know if comic books qualified for "Media mail", they asked and agreed comic books do qualify, so I've been sending my comic books to CBCS, buyers, mycomicshop, comiclink and Canada (Secret Santa) for the last ten years or so and I've had no problems or complaints.
You also cannot say you have had no complaints or problems...because it is the usually the person being delivered to, who gets disturbed by the postal carrier banging on the door demanding the difference between what you paid and priority rate. Just because noone has complained yet does not mean that it has not happened.
It is a violation of postal regulations .Arguing otherwise is simply attempting to defend being cheap and defrauding the postal service.

Nevermind if the package is opened and in the process the comics are damaged, or worse, the postal service opts to return to sender so they can instead resend the entire mess and pay entirely over again.

That might be true if the receiver says nothing but everything was good.
Post 52 IP   flag post
And in all likelihood they never buy from you again and vanish...because people arent there to pay your bill when you defraud the system to pocket a few dollars for yourself.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
And in all likelihood they never buy from you again and vanish...because people arent there to pay your bill when you defraud the system to pocket a few dollars for yourself.

If your post office says "This is the cheapest way to send it." Why is that a problem?
Post 54 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In my opinion if you didn't know better that might fly. However, now that people have posted explicit proof it's not okay, and you were to do it, I would say it's wrong. But to each their own.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
In my opinion if you didn't know better that might fly. However, now that people have posted explicit proof it's not okay, and you were to do it, I would say it's wrong. But to each their own.
Sometimes you have to just shake your head, smile and walk away...
Post 56 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
I use media mail and couldn’t have said it much better.
I offer media mail or priority mail. Last year I had over 200 sales and only 3 people opted to pay for the higher cost priority mail. Never had a problem with any package.

I'd be one of the 3. I'd gladly pay for the priority shipping. I have had problems with media mail from lazy sellers who package using cereal boxes to the gentle hands of the USPS. Media mail is the Pittsburgh Steelers of shipping. Sounds appealing but it's really trash.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Looking for love in all the wrong places. robo private msg quote post Address this user
I hear some inner Karens coming out on the media mail topic but forget it’s all dudes in here. What’s the name of a male Karen?
Post 58 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Ken
Post 59 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by robo
Granted I haven't recently looked at ebay or the mail's rules on media mail. At the counter my post person asked questions and told me the why - comics have advertisements and were not a canidate for media mail. But if everybody's doing it - I have no issue with it and have used it for children's books - but it did seemed sooo slow.

Quote:
Her name is Karen.

I have an actual "Karen" story, coincidentally. I know way more about Media Mail than I ever wanted to due to Karen.

It all started when a single postal clerk, KAREN, decided that the shipments of BOOKS (Masterworks, Archives, Omni's) I was getting were comic books. Boxes that I received with 6-10 books in them were sent at $10-$15 Media Mail, and now up-charged to $30+. I explained to Karen that these are not comics, but compilations of early comic books, graphic novels, without any advertising. She listened to my explanation, said "They're big comic books.", and walked away.

Every box came with postage due. I appealed it to the Regional USPS office, and they supported Karen's position. The smoking gun was a single line of tiny text in the indicia of each Masterworks. It said, paraphrasing - For information on advertising in Marvel Comics, contact the Marketing Department at xyz email address. Karen asserted that Marvel is "advertising for advertising business" so it's advertising. I took it to the DC National USPS office, lost there too. They are all wrong - incidental marketing in books, like promoting upcoming titles is allowed. But you can't fight City Hall (and win), nor can you fight the USPS once they are dug in.

This problem also handicapped me when purchasing on eBay. If a book was being offered on the opposite coast with Media shipping, I knew I was going to have to pay about $15 more for it after the upcharge. So I wasn't able to bid competitively with ANY other buyer whose post office allowed the books as Media, which should be ALL of them. If I felt I could pay $60 on a book, all in with shipping, the most I could bid was $40. Other buyers could bid $55 for same book and get it for $60 total. Made it very hard to buy books.

Shortly after, I opened a PO box at a small town next to me. They didn't seem to care at all about the collected edition problem, let all through as Media, coming or going. But I had to drive 12 miles more each way to use that post office, and pay the box fees, just because of stupid Karen.

Eventually, Karen retired, got all her years in. Haven't had a problem at my home post office since, unless someone sends comics as Media Mail. And I can live with that, because that is the rule.

If comics were advertised as Expedited Shipping and they arrive Media with postage due, I ask the carrier to hold the package and bring it back tomorrow. I take photos of the upcharge written on the box, inspection sticker, etc. I contact the seller about the problem, upload the photos, and ask them to refund the postage due. If they do, I pay it the next day when the carrier comes back with it. All this is a hassle, more work for me, which would have been prevented if the seller just did it right. Multiple messages, uploading photos, getting the cash ready, making sure someone is there when the carrier returns, etc. Is it worth it, really???

If they don't want to pay the fee, or I sense any type of hostile attitude, I just refuse it the next day and put in an eBay claim. Another hassle for me. About the "attitude" part - some sellers are put off that the problem occurred, like it's my fault, won't take responsibility for something THEY caused, defending their "process", saying it shouldn't have happened, everybody else's packages got through, "accidentally" sent Media, etc. I really don't care about their opinion on it, because it has now become a "thing" I have to deal with, all because they are clueless about how it was supposed to have been shipped.

Either way, it's a problem that shouldn't have landed at my doorstep, literally. So those people get their goods back, have to pay return shipping, and find the most NEGATIVE FEEDBACK possible as a reward for their "attitude".
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Quote:
Granted I haven't recently looked at ebay or the mail's rules on media mail. At the counter my post person asked questions and told me the why - comics have advertisements and were not a canidate for media mail. But if everybody's doing it - I have no issue with it and have used it for children's books - but it did seemed sooo slow.

Quote:
Her name is Karen.

I have an actual "Karen" story, coincidentally. I know way more about Media Mail than I ever wanted to due to Karen.

It all started when a single postal clerk, KAREN, decided that the shipments of BOOKS (Masterworks, Archives, Omni's) I was getting were comic books. Boxes that I received with 6-10 books in them were sent at $10-$15 Media Mail, and now up-charged to $30+. I explained to Karen that these are not comics, but compilations of early comic books, graphic novels, without any advertising. She listened to my explanation, said "They're big comic books.", and walked away.

Every box came with postage due. I appealed it to the Regional USPS office, and they supported Karen's position. The smoking gun was a single line of tiny text in the indicia of each Masterworks. It said, paraphrasing - For information on advertising in Marvel Comics, contact the Marketing Department at xyz email address. Karen asserted that Marvel is "advertising for advertising business" so it's advertising. I took it to the DC National USPS office, lost there too. They are all wrong - incidental marketing in books, like promoting upcoming titles is allowed. But you can't fight City Hall (and win), nor can you fight the USPS once they are dug in.

This problem also handicapped me when purchasing on eBay. If a book was being offered on the opposite coast with Media shipping, I knew I was going to have to pay about $15 more for it after the upcharge. So I wasn't able to bid competitively with ANY other buyer whose post office allowed the books as Media, which should be ALL of them. If I felt I could pay $60 on a book, all in with shipping, the most I could bid was $40. Other buyers could bid $55 for same book and get it for $60 total. Made it very hard to buy books.

Shortly after, I opened a PO box at a small town next to me. They didn't seem to care at all about the collected edition problem, let all through as Media, coming or going. But I had to drive 12 miles more each way to use that post office, and pay the box fees, just because of stupid Karen.

Eventually, Karen retired, got all her years in. Haven't had a problem at my home post office since, unless someone sends comics as Media Mail. And I can live with that, because that is the rule.

If they were advertised as Expedited Shipping and they arrive Media with postage due, I ask the carrier to hold the package and bring it back tomorrow. I take photos of the upcharge written on the box, inspection sticker, etc. I contact the seller about the problem, upload the photos, and ask them to refund the postage due. If they do, I pay it the next day when the carrier comes back with it. All this is a hassle, more work for me, which would have been prevented if the seller just did it right. Multiple messages, uploading photos, getting the cash ready, making sure someone is there when the carrier returns, etc. Is it worth it, really???

If they don't want to pay the fee, or I sense any type of hostile attitude, I just refuse it the next day and put in an eBay claim. Another hassle for me. About the "attitude" part - some sellers are put off that the problem occurred, like it's my fault, won't take responsibility for something THEY caused, defending their "process", saying it shouldn't have happened, everybody else's packages got through, "accidentally" sent Media, etc. I really don't care about their opinion on it, because it has now become a "thing" I have to deal with, all because they are clueless about how it was supposed to have been shipped.

Either way, it's a problem that shouldn't have landed at my doorstep, literally. So those people get their goods back, have to pay return shipping, and find the most NEGATIVE FEEDBACK possible as a reward for their "attitude".
Epic takedown and precisely why some of us are burnt on sellers using media........name calling is cute and fun, but yeah some of the stuff people have to deal with when there items come postage due is not fun nor necessary
Post 61 IP   flag post
Looking for love in all the wrong places. robo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Quote:
I’m slowly selling my old collection so I’m interested hearing how ~ 10 bucks is a deal breaker - so you are turning lots of lower cost books? And maybe why I haven’t sold one yet.

Quote:
Her name is Karen.

If they were advertised as Expedited Shipping and they arrive Media with postage due, I ask the carrier to hold the package and bring it back tomorrow. I take photos of the upcharge written on the box, inspection sticker, etc. I contact the seller about the problem, upload the photos, and ask them to refund the postage due. If they do, I pay it the next day when the carrier comes back with it. All this is a hassle, more work for me, which would have been prevented if the seller just did it right. Multiple messages, uploading photos, getting the cash ready, making sure someone is there when the carrier returns, etc. Is it worth it, really???

Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:

That might fly if the people here worked at the post office but they don't or at least no one has said "I work there and these are the PRINTED RULES." I've sent over 1,000 comic books to be slabbed to CBCS and every box was sent MEDIA MAIL. With no problems!!! I understand everybody has a story, but just tell the guy behind the counter what you're sending, what's the cheapest way to send it and send it that way. I don't see a problem here except that no post office reads their company's manuals to see what's right or wrong.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Ultimately we're all Captains of our own ship. In my efforts to squeeze out the 3rd party costs I've sold comics (Even CBCS Raw Grade) with postage price based on Media Mail. But it was always very clearly disclosed in the listing and re-explained in the description. The buyer always had the option to pay additional for another form of postage, that was made clear in the description as well.
Post 64 IP   flag post
@Rafel

Just because the postal workers don't care if it's right or wrong, is irrelevant. Studley dudley I think posted an excerpt from the usps. If you read that and know that it is wrong, then in my opinion whatever actions you take at this point are with the intent of taking advantage of the system. Whether that is right or wrong I don't really care. I just know that for myself, if something is wrong I try not to do it. If I did it before and didn't know, I could claim ignorance. But after I read the post, I can no longer say that.

I am not judging you. I don't care how you conduct business. I'm simply pointing out my views and how it affects MY actions. What you choose to do is your business.
Post 65 IP   flag post
My moral compass is tight for private companies but typically pretty loose when it comes to public entities. On one side of the spectrum people much more powerful than me will use the rules of governing to enrich themselves to levels that I could never imagine. They might as well be writing the rules themselves. On the other side people with very little left to lose will abuse the system at every possible turn. I'm stuck in the middle, no power but just enough assets to make it dangerous for me to commit any kind of major fraud. I know it's rationalization, but I feel like it's also a pretty honest assesment of society. So I'm not opposed to pilfering a tiny crumb off the pie when opportunity presents itself.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rafel

Just because the postal workers don't care if it's right or wrong, is irrelevant. Studley dudley I think posted an excerpt from the usps. If you read that and know that it is wrong, then in my opinion whatever actions you take at this point are with the intent of taking advantage of the system. Whether that is right or wrong I don't really care. I just know that for myself, if something is wrong I try not to do it. If I did it before and didn't know, I could claim ignorance. But after I read the post, I can no longer say that.

I am not judging you. I don't care how you conduct business. I'm simply pointing out my views and how it affects MY actions. What you choose to do is your business.

Hi Bronte,
I don't take offense or think I'm being judge. Just like everybody here I'm expressing my views. I have never tried to commit fraud to the post office or the person I'm send comic books too. As I've said before, I tell the post office clerk what I'm sending and what's the cheapest way to send it. My post office tells me comic books can go media mail so I send it media mail. If they said priority mail or any other option I would send it what they recommend. Let's ask CBCS. I've sent them over 1,500 comic books to be graded over the past 7 years and not once have they told me there is postage due. So who's right or wrong? That's irrelevant to me. What's relevant (to me) is what the postal clerk tells me.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Ultimately what other people think is irrelevant. If you can live with yourself, that's all that matters....
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:

I think this may be a misunderstanding in why sellers use Media Mail. Certainly there are some who charge full boat and try to pocket the difference, and those would probably get complaints pretty quickly. But I think most of us are trying to minimize the total cost of the delivered item in order to make our prices more attractive to buyers. And certainly the use of Media Mail should be fully disclosed up front by the seller, regardless of what item is being shipped.
Post 69 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
In an earlier post I described the origin of Media Mail, and how it was developed to promote the disbursement of knowledge and information. At that time, the printed word was the way that people gained knowledge and insight. So the distribution of books and educational material was subsidized, creating Media Mail.

At this time, the internet has displaced the need to subsidize printed matter. Long gone are encyclopedias, dictionaries, thesauruses, reference books, etc. Even best seller novels can be purchased as digital copies, and those would almost exclusively be considered entertainment. Media Mail is an obsolete service. If you just got rid of it, problem solved. Pay First Class or Priority rates, which are not punitive, and remove the temptation to cheat the system. Level the playing field.
Post 70 IP   flag post
@Rafel

So what I'm hearing is if the post office clerk says it's okay. Your okay with it regardless of what the written rules say?

If that's how you feel, that's fine. I just want to make sure I'm understanding your position.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
My brother shipped so many long boxes Media Mail (Just taped up the long box and wrote the address on the lid) His Post Office banned Media Mail comics finally, 20 years ago or so. They got tired of hucking them around.
I received a half dozen long boxes from him that way, way back. Mostly coverless and beaters for my kids. They were heavy.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

I think this may be a misunderstanding in why sellers use Media Mail. Certainly there are some who charge full boat and try to pocket the difference, and those would probably get complaints pretty quickly. But I think most of us are trying to minimize the total cost of the delivered item in order to make our prices more attractive to buyers. And certainly the use of Media Mail should be fully disclosed up front by the seller, regardless of what item is being shipped.

In my opinion if the person lists the shipping price, that is part of the cost of the book. If they disagree, don't buy the item. It's not complicated. I don't see how a person can complain about shipping if it is clearly stated in the listing.
Post 73 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
With slabs or any book worth more than $50 I use Priority.

With lower value stuff I generally use Media Mail. I state that as the method of shipping and price accordingly.

But...

I'm an author and regularly have hardback books coming and going through the small post office near my house, so they know me by name and are used to seeing me or an assistant shipping books and never bat an eye at any Media Mail package I have.

Also, I send well packed comics in the same type of mailer that Barnes & Nobles uses for their hardback books, so they're sturdy and look like I'm shipping a book.
Post 74 IP   flag post
@chester15 I agree, and to your point, I remember when Media Mail was called "Library Rate". That name changed as the forms of media evolved. I imagine the rate was inspired by the fact that printed material had a rather low size-to-weight ratio. But even in it's original form I would argue that it was not right to use public funds to subsidize "For Profit" companies, regardless of what they were shipping. There are plenty of other worthy items that did not receive the subsidy such as auto parts.
Post 75 IP   flag post
If people knowingly and willingly commit fraud, thats on them. I just refuse the items that do arrive with all that postage due, and let the shoe fall where it may.....

It is rather simple...its illegal. Period. The postal service has laws...they were made to help preserve the postal service as viable for all to use. If you choose to break the law, and violate the postal regulations to skim extra profit into your own pocket, thats all you. I just refuse to accept it when it comes to my front door , demanding the extra postage that should have been lawfully paid.

We each have to live with our own choices and I am good with that...but the point is, i refuse to live with letting your choices determine mine. Pretty simple concept.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Rafel

So what I'm hearing is if the post office clerk says it's okay. Your okay with it regardless of what the written rules say?

If that's how you feel, that's fine. I just want to make sure I'm understanding your position.

And just what do the written rules say? Have you or anyone here googled the POSTAL POLICIES on sending packages? I think not. I don't work there but trust that the employee behind the counter with years of experience knows what he/she is doing.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Since we are debating minor infractions, I wonder if everyone who opposes the use of Media Mail on moral grounds can say that they've been completely honest in their declared values when submitting books to CGC/CBCS? Anyone bought a book here on the forum and not paid a required use tax in their state? Anyone bought a book at a convention and managed to avoid paying that states sales tax? Has everyone been completely honest in reporting their capital gains from selling comic books? Anyone ever downloaded someone else's Intellectual Property without paying the normal fee (Donny Cates would like to know)?
Post 78 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Since we are debating minor infractions, I wonder if everyone who opposes the use of Media Mail on moral grounds can say that they've been completely honest in their declared values when submitting books to CGC/CBCS? Anyone bought a book here on the forum and not paid a required use tax in their state? Anyone bought a book at a convention and managed to avoid paying that states sales tax? Has everyone been completely honest in reporting their capital gains from selling comic books? Anyone ever downloaded someone else's Intellectual Property without paying the normal fee (Donny Cates would like to know)?

Great questions.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
@Rafel

And just what do the written rules say? Have you or anyone here googled the POSTAL POLICIES on sending packages? I think not. I don't work there but trust that the employee behind the counter with years of experience knows what he/she is doing.

And back to the beginning we go!

On the first page of this thread, ironically in the post just before yours, is a screenshot of the policy by @Studley_Dudley. Check the yellow highlighted text about comics not being eligible for Media Mail.
Post 80 IP   flag post
598059 112 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?