Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is the market over-valuing the future of X-men and Wolverine?14861

Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town

I have had issues with them for a while. They can't record "best offer" prices on ebay anymore either. Ebay changed some settings and now they can't get the actual best offer price. I think I will send them another complaint. How can you have an fmv for a book that is not based on actual sales.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
@Darkseid_of_town

I have had issues with them for a while. They can't record "best offer" prices on ebay anymore either. Ebay changed some settings and now they can't get the actual best offer price. I think I will send them another complaint. How can you have an fmv for a book that is not based on actual sales.

I am glad people are starting to question some of their...."tactics" For me its somewhat astounding people are taking their data as anything solid given the numerous issues. There are also as much as two week delays in reporting sales as they are logged.....taking gocollect, at their best and then cherrypicking that result has to be the worst possible method to determine a market trend there can be...aside from casting chicken bones in a pile and translating that into something

ps: be careful though, next you will get accused of "propping up prices" for calling out simple facts
Post 52 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town

I just sent them a ticket. I have bitched about the site for a while. They actually refunded me 2 months worth of my subscription. Unfortunately, it looks like the site is still screwed up. You can't go by what they have for fmv. I am going to see if I can get to the bottom of this. I remember several books looking at the fmv and going "there is no way it is that price" based on recorded sales. You can't have an fmv of 1450 when the highest recorded sale they have is less than 1k.

Anyone try covrprice? I might jump to that one. I am locked into $6/month with gocollect as they raised their prices recently so if I cancel, I won't be coming back.
Post 53 IP   flag post
I generally use GPA, coupled with closely watching the auctions at MCS and random searches on ebay, as well as watching what people are selling books for on facebook, and Instagram. For me a litmus test is to pull a book up on mcs and see people are trying to get for a book because you then know the price most likely lies a step below that in any given instance.

do agree with your comment....about FMV... Overstreet seemed to use a similar type engine in their results for years, but as they were far less agressive and the data was often behind the market so much the end result was not as extreme in misinformation as gocollect does.

Never knew about covrprice, I might give that a look at least.
Post 54 IP   flag post
I would use gpa but I think it is a litte more expensive and they don't have cbcs books.
Post 55 IP   flag post

GPA is 12 bucks a month...I allow the cost based on how much I buy and sometimes sell or trade, but you are right, there is a fee.

I do wish they listed CBCS books but then again, I for my own purposes do not allow the difference to enter in my bidding nor my ideas.

I guess I see it like this....While GPA does not list CBCS books, current CGC grading appears to have gotten very sloppy in grades over roughly 8.5

I also feel Steve and his team offer some of the most accurate grading in the world. I own a few gift slabs from Steve that seem to underline that ideal perfectly .

So for my eyes, while the market might argue at times that CGC generates a better price, I will intentionally bid or pay CGC prices for CBCS slabs knowing that the CBCS slab might say 9.0 but if pushed over to CGC it might score a 9.4 ........so for me the difference between the two companies is if anything that CBCS slabs are worth the same if not more and that makes GPA for me a solid source for either company.
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing

I appreciate your responses. Logical and well thought out without playing the martyr or tossing in emotional “woe is me” rhetoric that sometimes creeps into some threads and posts on the forum by others. Again, I appreciated reading them.

On a side note, I don’t believe that Comic Link allows their sales to be given away. So, anyone saying that Comic Link’s sales are “unverified” or “shill bidding” might want to chat with them. That type of response in this thread makes me giggle.

Josh and his group have always been professional and joys to work with when I have bought or sold things through them. I’ve been dealing with Comic Link for years. I’ve had 1 item that the winning bidder didn’t pay on. It was relisted and sold in the next scheduled auction. I don’t think there was much of a difference in the hammer price. It wasn’t a comic. It was an OA page.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Insults are a classic form of deflection . Woefully childish and not unexpected.

Unverified sales are yes, sales that are unverifiable by anyone wishing to do so. Period. Shill bidding is a known constant on ebay where some of the skewed data presented was presumably mined by your own comments. Giggling is for schoolgirls...carry on.
Noone inpinged anyones reputation at Comiclink. Maturity could be useful here. Sales that are not verifiable are just that. Attempting to imply that more was stated than was is of course slanderous and somewhat ...risky in public forums.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Many times on this forum I have been persuaded to change my opinion on a subject or to have an opinion on something that I didn't have an opinion on previously. I've literally bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of comics based on ideas that came from this forum. I think that the people on this forum who have persuaded me the most are the people who are trying the least to be persuasive. Members just sharing their honest opinions and backing it up with their reasons for the opinion. I'm probably most likely to be persuaded by people who don't even care whether I think their opinion is right or wrong.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Insults are a classic form of deflection . Woefully childish and not unexpected.

Unverified sales are yes, sales that are unverifiable by anyone wishing to do so. Period. Shill bidding is a known constant on ebay where some of the skewed data presented was presumably mined by your own comments. Giggling is for schoolgirls...carry on.
Noone inpinged anyones reputation at Comiclink. Maturity could be useful here. Sales that are not verifiable are just that. Attempting to imply that more was stated than was is of course slanderous and somewhat ...risky in public forums.

I believe I was responding to Moodswing.

BTW, many people giggle. Why would one seek or attempt to limit it to school girls? Personally, I try and not use stereotypes. It’s fascinating that you did that.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Incidentally, Incredible Hulk 1, 4.0 in 2020 sold at its highest for 13,500
First sale this year, March 7 15,600

Tales of Suspense 39 in grade 4.5 sold at its highest in 2020 for 6,000
April 6 same grade sold for 13,000

Journey into Mystery 83 4.0 sold at its highest in 2020 for... 7,250
April 22 this year same grade 13,750

Introductions to a few key marvel characters WITHOUT any movie hype or movies to drive their values. None of them seem to be falling or losing a step despite the end of the story arcs for their characters.

Hulk will probably next be spotted in the She Hulk series, which is slated as a comedy.
Iron Man man so far, who knows?
Thor is a card carrying member of the Asgardians of the galaxy apparently with a new movie coming with a female thor in his place. ....
yet all their books are moving as if they have no end in sight
Post 61 IP   flag post

Post 62 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Girls!Girls!Girls!!!! Lol
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Many times on this forum I have been persuaded to change my opinion on a subject or to have an opinion on something that I didn't have an opinion on previously. I've literally bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of comics based on ideas that came from this forum. I think that the people on this forum who have persuaded me the most are the people who are trying the least to be persuasive. Members just sharing their honest opinions and backing it up with their reasons for the opinion. I'm probably most likely to be persuaded by people who don't even care whether I think their opinion is right or wrong.
Some good sentiments there, I seldom worry about opinions at all however, I look for solid evidence and facts. If the evidence supports the idea, sure why not? To that end I generally offer facts, evidence and things people can freely investigate and verify for themselves...transparency. It is the only basis that exists for a truthful shared idea.
Post 64 IP   flag post
You can't get good wood on the ball every time. HotKeyComics private msg quote post Address this user

Post 65 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Well I'm being very persuasive, buy Lois lane 17 second appearance of Brainiac

There you won't take any notice so I can find a copy for myself 👍
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Well hell, why didn't you mention it sooner? I can store it with the three copies of Lois Lane 70 and two copies of Lois Lane 105 that this forum has compelled me to buy this year.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Well hell, why didn't you mention it sooner? I can store it with the three copies of Lois Lane 70 and two copies of Lois Lane 105 that this forum has compelled me to buy this year.

You not banking on Lois lane 106?

Well when the new Lois and Clark series gets a reboot in the alternate universe and they think out of the box and cast Lois as a non Caucasian.

I'll be sitting pretty selling multiples at $1000 each for low grades.

Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Well when the new Lois and Clark series gets a reboot in the alternate universe and they think out of the box and cast Lois as a non Caucasian.

@southerncross As you dream of multiple alternative DC universes...keep in mind that most of us are just hoping to see signs of a single viable DC Universe.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

How about the first Sting Ray appearance, Sub-Mariner 19. As Walter Newel, then Tales to Astonish #95, or both. They have great covers and don't cost an arm and a leg yet for raw copies.

Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
How about the first Sting Ray appearance, Sub-Mariner 19. As Walter Newel, then Tales to Astonish #95, or both. They have great covers and don't cost an arm and a leg yet for raw copies.

I'm on it!
Post 71 IP   flag post

Yeah I invested in them for my retirement, who's in this iss again?

Hey why not this one

Isn't this the first silver age appearance of the golden age robot torch?

Been years since I read this book.

Like 30 years ago, can't really remember.
Have to dig it out.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yeah I invested in them for my retirement, who's in this iss again?

Walter Newel, the guy who becomes Sting Ray.

Quote:
Members just sharing their honest opinions and backing it up with their reasons for the opinion.

@ebaymafia, when people get a check from places that don't report their data does anyone besides the Shadow, and shill bidders know the sale actually occurred? Well, we can throw in the cabal that keeps prices high too. Shhh, don't say anything. That's a secret.

Post 73 IP   flag post
608130 73 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?