Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies Television

Movie Collections II: Share your Highlights, New Acquisitions, and more!14852

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Best Buy has a sale on the Sopranos complete series for $55!. I’ve been wanting this for a good long while and the deal was good enough to pull the trigger

Post 126 IP   flag post
Another recent pick up. Hardly the best movie but as far as 3D goes this is up towards the top. I already had the other set with all the bonus features so I just went with the original barebones promotional release

Post 127 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
by the way, that’s one of my favorite MadTV sketches. I’ve always wondered why Will Sasso, as a star, never got bigger.
Post 128 IP   flag post
@00slim Yeah, he shows up here and there in minor roles but I definitely think he has the skills and range to carry bigger roles
Post 129 IP   flag post
I was a little late but I finally picked it up! Watching it as I speak! As delightfully silly as I remember!

Post 130 IP   flag post

Just in. This one was out-of-print for a bit & got rather pricey. I was kicking myself for not picking it up sooner, because it was dirt cheap for the longest time. Well, it’s back in print and returned to its $9.99 price tag in HD.

Spiders genuinely freak me out, but I still enjoy this one.

Post 131 IP   flag post
Collector cesidio private msg quote post Address this user
Forbidden planet.

Post 132 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Just in. This one was out-of-print for a bit & got rather pricey. I was kicking myself for not picking it up sooner, because it was dirt cheap for the longest time. Well, it’s back in print and returned to its $9.99 price tag in HD.

Spiders genuinely freak me out, but I still enjoy this one.

Interesting, I remember seeing it as a Disney Movie Insiders reward for a long time though maybe when I stopped seeing it coincided with it going out of print.

Speaking of Disney Movie Insiders, I have a a good few points but they don’t really have anything I’m dying to spend it on. I really wish they’d get more blu rays available. Maybe if points start expiring I’ll dump them on the 3D blu ray of Force Awakens.
Post 133 IP   flag post

I’m a little behind on the MCU but I finally picked up Shang-Chi and Eternals earlier this week.

Just finished watching Shang-Chi and I really enjoyed it. At times it felt like a high-budget martial arts film, which was a nice change from the other MCU movies. My biggest criticism is that they threw in a universe-ending threat into the last half hour just to have the big CGI finale, I guess.

I think the father/son conflict should’ve remained central to the movie and then leave the big universe-ending stuff for another movie where they can be a proper threat and presence and not just a final act reveal.

I also loved the return of Ben Kinglsey as Trevor Slattery, though I still miss his terrorist version of the Mandarin. It was scary and, I thought, a great update of the character. I wasn’t upset by the Slattery reveal as others but I mourned the loss of the character they’d created.

They definitely tried creating a more rounded version of the character in this movie and less of a caricature. Perhaps he was a bit too humanized as he lacked much of the threat you would want in a villain. I wonder if maybe introducing him as the ice cold, super-powered mob boss might’ve helped and then revealing how he fell in love later in the movie would’ve helped. Front-loading the movie with that makes him very sympathetic off the bat. Of course, that might be more what they were going for, focusing more on the family story but if that’s the case, don’t make the big climax of the movie a fight with a giant other-dimensional monster that you introduce in the last 30-minutes.

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. Definitely looking forward to watching the Eternals soon.
Post 134 IP   flag post

These four arrived this week from different vendors. I’ve had the complete seasons for years but I’m finally getting around to picking up the standalone combined episode releases. These take significant two-part episodes and combine them into a single, feature-length episode. Each one has a modicum of special features that, controversially, weren’t included on the season boxed sets. I’m just missing the series finale, All Good Things, which is a tad more expensive than the rest
Post 135 IP   flag post
Just finished watching Eternals and I really loved it, probably my favorite MCU movie in a good while. I really dug the slower-paced, grand scale, high-concept (for a mainstream movie at least) science fiction story.

To that end, while I liked how the Deviants fit into the mythology I felt they didn’t quite help the story as villains in the movie. The more humanoid Deviant that could communicate was interesting but we didn’t get a lot of time to really develop that before he was dispatched. It might’ve been more interesting if the Deviants were already more humanoid. That way they could be more of a dark mirror of humanity. What makes the Deviants and Eternals different is that the Deviants grow and evolve. The movie could’ve likened the destructive Deviants to humanity to further question humanity’s worthiness of survival.

granted the movie already focused on mankind’s habit of destroying itself so that might’ve been redundant. I personally think it could’ve worked without the Deviants entirely. It would’ve resulted in fewer action scenes but I probably would’ve been fine with that.
Post 136 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
In the early parts of the Eternals film, the Deviants are made to be seen as the main adversaries to the Eternals, that the Eternals are placed on Earth to defend humanities existence altruistically. As the film progresses we begin the learn that this is not the case. While the Eternals are placed on Earth to defend humans from Deviants, it is more like how a farmer would defend his crops from infestation. The Deviants are really no longer the main threat through the perspective of the Eternals. This is why, I believe, some say the Eternals could have worked without the Deviants. But I believe the Deviants are necessary as they represent the conflict that allows the Eternals to care for the humans even if it's the same way a human would care for a pet....its more than that obviously as the Eternals established deep relationships with humans.
Post 137 IP   flag post
I should clarify, I do think the Deviants were necessary for the flashback scenes but I did think they were less effective in the present day aside from a source of action scenes. I just think if they weren’t going to be integral and effective then they should’ve been removed to focus more on what’s there that is.

I also think the Deviants had more potential as a mirror to humanity. To go back to the humanoid Deviants, what if the Deviants hadn’t been killed as the Eternals thought but instead had evolved to a more human-like evolution. Then in the present while the Eternals are searching the world for Ajak’s killer they find a small community of humanoid Deviants living in relative peace.

Then they can reflect a future potential for humanity. Humans, now, being wild and destructive like the Deviants once were but with the potential to advance and learn to live peacefully like the Deviants today.

It could also serve as foreshadowing or reflection, depending on where it would fit in the story, of the Celestial’s plan. Do they destroy the Deviants in service of a greater good (serving Arishen) or do they recognize the value in the they’ve created and defy their purpose and duty to spare them?
Post 138 IP   flag post
So this is coming out in May. I know the show wasn't great but...

I also wonder if Prime Directives will ever get a blu ray release. Not exactly something I'm dying for but if the series gets a blu ray, might as well put everything out, including the TWO animated series

Post 139 IP   flag post
So, one of my favorite YouTube channels just did an episode about ’Darkman’ (1990). (Included here for your convenience, if you’re interested) This put me in the mood to watch it again.

I had this movie on blu-ray and I must have lent it out or something because I couldn’t find it in my collection.

Amazon had the trilogy for cheaper than the first movie sold separately, so, this was a no-brainer. Even though, I’ve heard the sequels are bad, I’ve always wanted to see them.

Post 140 IP   flag post
I think I have that trilogy somewhere. The first movie is great fun. The second one is schlocky b-movie fun. I don’t even remember the third movie. I wonder if I’ve seen it, actually
Post 141 IP   flag post
Got the last TNG standalone blu ray. I love the melodrama of the Judge Q design. Whenever Tim Bradstreet starts taking commissions again, I’d love to get him to do Q on a Star Trek blank cover

Post 142 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the one sheet poster for the 1972 Godzilla movie, with two close-up detail shots. Seems a bit different in tone from most Godzilla posters (at least to me). Hard for me to believe that I bought it new 50 years ago...

Post 143 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
This thing has been sold out since December. I was fortunate to be able to pre-ordered two copies the first day of the preorder. I collect steelbook movies. Good ones, that is.

Post 144 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy I need to pick up the movie!

I actually had to do some steelbook surgery recently. I have the Infinity War and Endgame 4K steelbooks. I’ve been working on getting the 3D blu rays from overseas but the domestic steelbooks don’t have enough space to hold it along with everything else they came with. I ended up buying a cheap copy of the Hobbit steelbook to transplant the interior to Endgame then took Endgame’s and transplanted it into Infinity War…now I just need that Endgame 3D disc 😅
Post 145 IP   flag post
Got No Way Home (4K) in the mail today, along with ‘The Breakfast Club’ on blu-ray. It was on T.V. the other day & I realized I didn’t have it in my library. The commercials were killing me.

I also ordered ‘The Batman’ steelbook. It just went up for sale today. Here’s a link if anyone is interested:

Best Buy
Post 146 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim Thanks. I just got my preorder in. Next up: Doctor Strange 2
Post 147 IP   flag post
I just preordered this Sonic 2 Steel Book cause they did an homage of the cover for the Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Sega Genesis game

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-steelbook-includes-digital-copy-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-blu-ray/6505511.p?skuId=6505511
Post 148 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy That’s super cool! I was talking to a friend a little while back and mentioned that I thought they should’ve titled the movie “Sonic 2 and Knuckles” for the game reference
Post 149 IP   flag post
Collector RareComics private msg quote post Address this user
Got this Amidala when it was new. I still love it. Sorry about the fuzzy shots, but I had it packed away before I knew the image was bad. Still, it gives one an idea of the incredible headdress!

Post 150 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite I collect NES, SNES, SEGA cartridges. I literally paid $240 for an empty f@&cking SNES box and my wife flipped on me because she couldn’t understand why. After much explaination (with a nice cooked dinner by moi, and wine) she finally understood. Most people looked at me as an idiot for paying that much more money for an empty box over the actual game.
Post 151 IP   flag post
@JustThatGuy lol what game? I’m not much of a retro game collector. Mostly just what I got while growing up and then going back for a few that catch my interest.

My current goal is to put together a complete copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for the Sega Saturn. Unfortunately a complete copy goes for like $1600+. I’m planning to put it together one $300 disc at at time 😅
Post 152 IP   flag post
“EVO Search for Eden” published by Enix before they were gobbled up by Square. Enix and Square as separate entities were great. Together, not so much.
Post 153 IP   flag post
They’ve done plenty of good stuff since they’ve merged but a lot of Enix’ quirkier titles have been left by the wayside.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I got some movie posters and junk

Post 155 IP   flag post
601285 309 30