Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPComics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

CBCS Grading policy for "Blue with notes" books14844

Collector Schumy2 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

Reaching out to the community with a tricky question. How would CBCS grade a book that had previously been graded by CGC as "Blue with notes" (meaning slight dried glue or CT)? I only ask because I recently submitted my ragged 1.0 copy of X-Men #1 to them for restoration removal (glue) and the book came back with a blue label and notes indicating the presence of a "slight amount of dried glue on the interior spine". My copy also has an unwitnessed Stan Lee signature and I was planning on submitting it to CBCS for authentication. However, I'm reluctant to do this now based on the notes that came back with the book. Would CBCs give the book a restored grade or would they view the dried glue as a noted defect like CGC? Please share your thoughts and advise on the best course of action. Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Schumy2 CBCS doesn't have a 'restored' grade per say...they would have a blue label with a note saying "restoration includes:x,x,x"

If it passed verification I would think you would get a yellow label with notation about the restoration

couldn't find a verified but here is a witnessed

Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
The crazy thing about this conversation is that it's the same damn book regardless what the labels say on them. I'm not saying it's irrational for @Schumy2 to have this conversation. I would be concerned about it also. I'm saying that our industry is irrational for this idea that thousands of dollars might ride on the wording of the label. Whether they call it restoration or no restoration, it's the same dried glue on the same book. It's sad how easily we allow the industry "professionals" to train and condition us. At times we seem to even revel in the irrationality. We are an industry of weirdos.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
It's pretty much impossible to answer the OP's question. Some books getting a blue label with a note of "small amount of dried glue" and other books getting a restored label with the same defect has always been a controversy in the hobby of graded books.

It's generally believed that the standard is if the glue is doing anything. If put there as reinforcement - and it's a vintage book (that is OLD) then it will often get a blue label with glue noted. If the glue seals a tear, it is going to get a conserved label

CGC has always made it clear that this is solely based on their determination. There is no guarantee if you sent the book back to CGC you would not get a conserved label.

Steve Borock literally wrote the book and set the standards for CGC grading. Now he did the same for CBCS. So there is a good chance you'd get the "small amount of dried glue" designation. But NO guarantee and no one here can answer your question.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
I have an X-men #1 with glue on the spine. It has a Blue Conserved CBCS label.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@Schumy2 CBCS doesn't have a 'restored' grade per say...they would have a blue label with a note saying "restoration includes:x,x,x"

If it passed verification I would think you would get a yellow label with notation about the restoration

couldn't find a verified but here is a witnessed

how funny that my book you picked out
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
It's sad how easily we allow the industry "professionals" to train and condition us. At times we seem to even revel in the irrationality.

This!!!!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Schumy2 private msg quote post Address this user
Thank you all for your comments. Not sure if I will submit the book for the signature verification but I really appreciate everyone's feedback.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumy2
Thank you all for your comments. Not sure if I will submit the book for the signature verification but I really appreciate everyone's feedback.
you could always use the verification screen to see if the sig may or may not pass. in my opinion; the book itself with or without the Stan Lee sig outweighs a bit of glue regardless of conserved, restored, or any other Designation. I have no issues with Conservation on pre bronze books. They are old. They have been deteriorating for decades and at some point someone wanted to keep it together after they read crap out of it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
600748 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?