Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPComics Bronze AgeComics Copper Age

Mail call, you win some, you lose some.14799

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Just opened my cgc to CBCS encasement upgrade today. This was a blended some press some not. There were some comics I knew were liberally/over graded by cgc and some that were accurate. Anyway, the win some were those that i was confident that 1) didn’t need a press and would stay a 9.8, 2) those that needed a press and got an upgrade, and/or 3) passed VSP.

Then there is the 9.8 cgc MRF #1 that cgc missed the flaw that came back a 9.4. Thank you @SteveRicketts and team for the good work. Much appreciated.

Before: Big over grade miss by cgc

After. Now accurately graded

Before: accurately graded

After Press and VSP.

After: no press

After: with press

Before: to me, looked 9.4

After: with press and accurately graded now

Before: not a 9.6

After: now a real 9.6 after press

Before: accurately graded 9.4 way back in @sborock days

After: with press

Before: maybe 9.6 with only spine ding, but with an extra 1”+ crease? Overgraded

Rejected:

Before:

Rejected:

Before: not really a 9.8

Rejected:

Before: looked 9.4 to me.

After: Now a real 9.6 after press

Before: i thought 9.4 with crease and light wear.

After: with press accurately graded

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Taking into account the human element involved in grading it looks pretty consistent to me between the two companies
Post 2 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 - actually, you gotta factor in that several of these were over graded to begin with and CBCS pressing got rid of many of the flaws that were overlooked by cgc.

My point can probably be elaborated clearer with the GI Joe. I agree with the 9.4 that it was at with the old cgc
Label. Had that same book been graded by today by cgc before CBCS press, well, probably would have received a 9.6-9.8 whiles CBCS would have likely graded it a 9.4. Thankfully @SteveRicketts was able to work his majik.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
You guys can see those little tiny flaws so much better than me. I'm starting to think that maybe CGC just has a mix of younger graders with good eyes...and older guys who are trying to hide that they need reader glasses.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I added some color comments to each photo each photo. Oh,and all of the before pics are without bag and each after is still in protective bag.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I love data ... even in amounts of 15 or so.
It gives us a basis for the start of a rational discussion between the 2 companies or even within.

With the data that I keep with my personal grade (before sub) vs. the given grade, I find about 15% of CGC are misgraded either up or down. With CBCS, it's less than 5% of my books (I allow for 0.2 in the 9's; and 1.0 below 9.0). This methodology is different than above, but it's still a method of quantifying information rather than pure "at that very moment" emotion.

Good work @Scifinator !
Post 6 IP   flag post
Not to hijack my own thread, but even though I didn’t take the time to pull the CBCS encasements I really feel the CBCS labels are more of an enhancement and make the comic cover the focal point whereas the cgc labels are a distraction.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
One is allowed to hijack one's own thread provided you ask the OP. I assume you've done that
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
One is allowed to hijack one's own thread provided you ask the OP. I assume you've done that
@Nuffsaid111 - Which should be easy enough unless one has multiple personalities.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m sure a case can be made for or against any TPGing by choosing a select group of books.

The reality is that both CGC and CBCS use the same grading scale created by the same person(s) and are pretty consistent with each other. Both have over an under graded books and both are going to make mistakes. The human element involved in the process ensures is of that.

Quote:
I love data ... even in amounts of 15 or so.
It gives us a basis for the start of a rational discussion between the 2 companies or even within.

With the data that I keep with my personal grade (before sub) vs. the given grade, I find about 15% of CGC are misgraded either up or down. With CBCS, it's less than 5% of my books (I allow for 0.2 in the 9's; and 1.0 below 9.0). This methodology is different than above, but it's still a method of quantifying information rather than pure "at that very moment" emotion.

Good work @Scifinator !

Again... Pure speculation based on one’s personal bias opinion designed to skew numbers based on personal opinion.

If your grading methodology is superior to TPGing standards, entrusting any TPGing to render an opinion on your books seems really silly, even more so if one is paying for those opinions.

Once you have paid for a TPGing opinion your personal opinion is no longer relevant. Of course you do have the option to remove the book from said TPGing slab, thus making your opinion more relevant again.

Public attempts trying to showing one or the other in a negative light, based on one’s bias opinion is always just pointless rhetoric

Some nice looking books btw!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Some nice looking books btw
@BigRedOne1944 - Sincerely, Thanks!

Pardon my ignorance, but what does TPGing stand for?

As for my sending these comics in, it was indeed about bias. That bias being that I do not like newton rings, I prefer labels that do not draw may attention away from the comic book, and frankly, i prefer uniformity, even to the point to where I have contemplated how i would prefer that my signed comics even have blue labels, but for the significance, to me, of recognition that my Marvel Fanfare #1 was signed by my then favorite artist.

So I am not a rigid zealot, but a contemplative zealot.

Further, for me, I don’t want to see flaws in my permanent collection. If it is a 9.6 or 9.8, I want it to actually be such. I am not collecting labels. I am just as quick to sell a CBCS encased comic if I can upgrade to a more eye appealing version. It just so happens that in my experience, with CBCS it is more likely to be with a miswrap as opposed to an errantly/inflated grade.

Lastly, keep in mind that this was a blended order, some press some no press, that took advantage of the Clearchoice special. And yes, where I was comfortable with the 9.8 cgc grade, I sent in without a press as I am confident in CBCS accuracy. Especially after having more that 3500 comics certified by them. And where the cgc grade was wrong to begin with, I chose to have pressed and or screened. Unfortunately, CBCS wasn’t comfortable with the prospects for three of the comics and they found a huge miss by cgc on the Magnus #1. To that, I thank them for their professional integrity and celebrate my wins on G.I Joe, Harbinger 1, and Shadowman 0 Gold. And appreciate the now accurate grades on the others.

To each there own. This is my own.

Cheers to all and let us contemplate this weekend, why we have the freedom to chose a certification company and discuss such in the light of day.

🇺🇸
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:

@Nuffsaid111 Even though your grading opinion is subjective, it's still a fair evaluation if you apply it equally to both companies. Basically you've established your own acceptable level of deviation and measured against it. 5% vs 15% is actually not as much difference as I would have expected, but on the other hand 1 whole grade is a pretty large deviation range. I'm imagining two Bell curves and the CGC Bell Curve is just a little bit flatter and longer than the CBCS bell curve. If you were to plot them on a bell curve, would your grade opinion pretty much be the high point of the bell for both companies? Do you know what percentage fall right on your grade expectation for each company?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Pardon my ignorance, but what does TPGing stand for?

Third Party Grading
Post 13 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia - aha. Thnx mch
Post 14 IP   flag post
601366 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?