Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector comixfan59 private msg quote post Address this user
So, My Housemate and I sent in some comics to be graded. These were all books we carefully picked because of their High grade. 10 were sent regularly and 3 were sent fast track. The fast track came back with damaged corners all in the same place on the books.The books went ahead through and were slabbed and graded such with no concern over the damage. They were obviously damaged upon receiving because they were as always packed in a secure box with tons of Bubble wrap. The package as an Ebay customer of mine would say, "Could survive and Atomic Blast. In my 40 years of being in comic retail and selling I have had maybe 3 situations where books were damaged in shipping. Again I emphasize the obviously damaged book were graded and shipped back. No notification after 3 months of being in possession of our Books. We just received the shipping info on the rest and out of 10 books that we graded with most definitely in the 8s and 9s and few higher 9s sent. Every book has been graded and shipped with (again no mention of the damage), below a 7 including a gorgeous unread copy of Strange Tales 178 about 9.6 and a nice Weird Mystery #1 which should have been about a 9.0 or 9.2. All Books were very nice Key issues.
I have never gone to CGC but right now CBCS is on my shit list right and I plan on doing whatever I can to make sure they take accountability for this. They should not only never have graded the books with obvious damage but notified us immediately. They should compensate us for what it would cost to replace the Books. No excuse. None. Don't be CGC. Make this right. It is not Rocket science but it is integrity.
Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
did you grade screen?
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@comixfan59

While I agree that they should have notified you, I think replacing the books is a bit extreme. Are the problems pressable?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Good question?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
any before/after pics?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Long on accusations but short on verifiable evidence...as Andy stated, do you have anything for pictures to verify the before condition?
I also am thinking if you truly wanted the situation addressed and fairly handled that creating a public Shame topic on the forum for them perhaps isnt the best strategy for getting that needed result.

If what you stated is true, I would contact one of the main key personnel in the forum that handles things there and inquire ...Darryl H. and even Steve Borock here in the forum seem to be quite compentent and handle issues well for people when the occassional issue does occurr.

If it were me I would exhaust diplomatic efforts before declaring all out war....sorry that happened to you, and best of luck with a resoloution
Post 6 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comixfan59
10 were sent regularly and 3 were sent fast track. The fast track came back with damaged corners all in the same place on the books.

What kind of damage did the corners have?
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
hey. I'm the housemate. no grade screen, damage can be pressed but it would not fully fix as there are significant color breaks. I have post (no pre) pics of the first 3 comix that I got as fast pass. the other 10 are being shipped back now but the graders notes all specify the same corner damage
Post 8 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
You can never rule out damage with shipping, It might survive an atomic bomb, doesn't mean it wouldn't sustain some damage.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
I understand your grievance and I hope they make it right if at fault, but it sounds like shipping damage unless someone was completely incompetent enough to drop every one your books. I believe them contacting every customer for a “damaged” book is an unreasonable expectation given the fact that people send “damaged” books for grading. Do you think they made contact on the hundreds of UF4s below NM they graded?
Post 10 IP   flag post

Post 11 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Have you tried contacting the postmaster general regarding how atomic bomb proof packaging can still get funked up by the USPS?
Post 12 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@HulkSmash

I think it depends. If the external box was obviously damaged then, yes they should have notified as a courtesy.

However, as batman 66 mentioned even the best packed packages run the risk of damage in transit.

I had raw books double boxed and I got a damaged in transit email from CGC.
Post 13 IP   flag post
it seems to me that the damage should have been noticeable on the box. all 13 comix had heavy corner crunches so that can't be a small dent. has anyone had this happen before? I don't know what to expect
Post 14 IP   flag post
They used the word "Impact" and all where they would line up together it seems. No, We did not have them screened. Never have had to before and books returned as expected and all was good. This is to coincidental and obvious. The Strange Tales apparently has severe crunch which was a book I sent because of it's high grade. It looked like new. why would anyone send damaged books? Thinking someone would send in multiple graded books with intent just isn't realistic. As far as pressing the damage out, why should anyone have to crack open the cases to press and then resend for grading? We pay for a service and to go to that extreme is unrealistic and not very practical. Plus there is always damage like color breaking from what ever happened they won't be the grade they were undamaged regardless. Sorry, But I come from a time where work ethic meant taking accountability meant you fix these things at no inconvenience to the customer. I am not blaming CBCS and will continue to send them books. But the person who damaged them should be held accountable and something as obvious as this reported to the proper people especially the customer and immediate action and notification taken. and the company needs to make amends for the actions of whomever in the chain damaged the items. Especially if they did not report it. No Hate, just resolution.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Bubbles wrap is not as good as firm cardboard cut to a size larger than the books being shipped. Bubble wrap is better for already graded books, not raws.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noblebeast315
Bubbles wrap is not as good as firm cardboard cut to a size larger than the books being shipped. Bubble wrap is better for already graded books, not raws.

They had Cardboard and Bubblewrap on the outside and then in a Box. Been shipping comics for decades including CBCS and never had an issue. Plus Bubblewrap does not cause corner impact, etc. That is why they make Bubblewrap. So there is that.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Have you tried contacting the postmaster general regarding how atomic bomb proof packaging can still get funked up by the USPS?

We don't know if it was USPS. No one knows does and if so why were we not notified. If it happened at USPS it would have to have been a Truck driving over it to cause such damage on every book. Again, No one is going to notice that?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
We don't know if it was USPS. No one knows does and if so why were we not notified. If it happened at USPS it would have to have been a Truck driving over it to cause such damage on every book. Again, No one is going to notice that?

Post 19 IP   flag post
Think you are kind of missing the point though...the simple fact is you do not know when or where the damage occurred for sure. Yet you are trying to blame CBCS for the final outcome. Yes, if you did not realize it, people often have damaged books graded.....some because they dont know better, others because they just want to sell it and dump the book, but often ignorance about pressing and cleaning is the reason.

Rather than spending all the effort and time trying to make sure and hammer cbcs for the problem , the best use of time and energy might be instead asking..what are our options? Where do we go from here to get some fix for it all? What are our best options and what will best help us feel better about this? Look for those answers, and message Steve or Darryl...it might turn out better all around
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
I understand your grievance and I hope they make it right if at fault, but it sounds like shipping damage unless someone was completely incompetent enough to drop every one your books. I believe them contacting every customer for a “damaged” book is an unreasonable expectation given the fact that people send “damaged” books for grading. Do you think they made contact on the hundreds of UF4s below NM they graded?

Not even slightly unreasonable if you are in business. No expectations of them being 9.8 but we know they were close to the grades we determined or why send them in? Probably most even new issues are not 9.8. Do I think you should notify every customer whose books get damaged? Yes, that is what being in business entails otherwise work for someone else if the responsibility. If you have that much business that something is not happening that will have an adverse effect or impact on customers and quality you hire more people. Otherwise....

Sorry, going by how I have always conducted business and how I was taught. If a customer brought back a comic to the shop that was misgraded by someone and had a page missing or something they got a full refund and I sometimes let them keep the comic. I can without any shadow of a doubt say no one ever too advantage of it and they always came back.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I've read similar posts over the past couple years regarding this and this appears to be a major flaw within CBCS's receiving process. I would expect any damaged boxes to be photographed and the contents thoroughly checked to confirm no damage so that customers have the ability to file a claim against the carrier they shipped and insured their comics through. I suppose if CBCS can't provide proof the comics were damaged during shipping it should be assumed that they were damaged while in their possession if the customer can provide photos showing the condition of the comics prior to shipment to CBCS. Without those photos I don't know how you can make a claim for the amount you insured each comic for on your CBCS submission form.
Post 22 IP   flag post
I would just like to know what happens next. I have been messaging with Darryl since I got the first 3 fast pass back. I suspected there could be damage to the other 10 so i tried to get someone to check the other order before it was encapsulated but apparently they didn't get to it in time. after much back and forth I am no closer to knowing how or even if this will be resolved.

no one here has any experience with a situation like this?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Think you are kind of missing the point though...the simple fact is you do not know when or where the damage occurred for sure. Yet you are trying to blame CBCS for the final outcome. Yes, if you did not realize it, people often have damaged books graded.....some because they don't know better, others because they just want to sell it and dump the book, but often ignorance about pressing and cleaning is the reason.

Rather than spending all the effort and time trying to make sure and hammer cbcs for the problem , the best use of time and energy might be instead asking..what are our options? Where do we go from here to get some fix for it all? What are our best options and what will best help us feel better about this? Look for those answers, and message Steve or Darryl...it might turn out better all around

Thank you, but I think you may be missing the point. Read the posts. Never said CBCS definitely damaged the books. Accountability for not informing us over that many books or investigating where the damage happened in case they are responsible. Plus grading obvious damaged books?
I spoke to my Friend and comic retailer about the situation and he told me the couple times it happened at CGC they informed him right away. I still won't take my business to them and will continue to use CBCS but their needs to be resolution otherwise I cannot justifiably tell my colleagues, customers and Friends I have never had a problem with CBCS.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Never said CBCS definitely damaged the books.

@comixfan59 the title of your post is CBCS damages books and doesn't seem to take accountability. You may want to change the title.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@flanders no before pics but I think the consistency of crunches should hopefully be self evident.

im bummed because the market has changed since submitting so my insurance quotes are much lower than they would be if I submitted today. even best case scenario I won't be able to buy another high/mid grade AVENGERS #48 or IRONMAN SUBMARINER #1. say la vie
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I've read similar posts over the past couple years regarding this and this appears to be a major flaw within CBCS's receiving process. I would expect any damaged boxes to be photographed and the contents thoroughly checked to confirm no damage so that customers have the ability to file a claim against the carrier they shipped and insured their comics through. I suppose if CBCS can't provide proof the comics were damaged during shipping it should be assumed that they were damaged while in their possession if the customer can provide photos showing the condition of the comics prior to shipment to CBCS. Without those photos I don't know how you can make a claim for the amount you insured each comic for on your CBCS submission form.

I am not sure but a few people have told me if they didn't notify Us, then someone along the Chain probably is the one who damaged the books. Possibly dropped the unboxed books still wrapped on the hard concrete ground or such. The whole "What they don't know..." scenario. Which I can see happening as i worked at Diamond Distribution for years and saw my fellow employees try and do that exact thing. I would simply walk over and say, "Refill that order and report the damages." If they wouldn't do it, I would.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Please also know I understand the title of my topic is a little harsh and if I knew how to edit it, I would. I was really pissed when I found out and should not have started my post while still upset.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:
Never said CBCS definitely damaged the books.

@comixfan59 the title of your post is CBCS damages books and doesn't seem to take accountability. You may want to change the title.
Precisely....wow. Well said
Post 29 IP   flag post
@comixfan59 I don't disagree with the title, I was merely pointing out that it contradicts your statement. I hope CBCS sorts this out since they have a history of customers complaining about this exact issue and I believe that those comics didn't have that damage before they left your possession. I hope you have some photos of the comics before they were shipped so you can make a claim through your insurance company and provide them to CBCS to make a claim for how much you insured the comics for on your submission form. I'm not sure how successful you'll be if you don't have documentation on their condition before the shipment.
Post 30 IP   flag post
603787 67 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?