Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user

I sure like that label
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie10cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
His viewpoint was that comics are meant to be read and enjoyed, not "slabbed". Which I understand that everyone has their own opinion on things. I was just happy that he wasn't charging a fee and signed the books he was involved with. I questioned him about seeing CGC Yellow Labels he signed on eBay and he wasn't happy that it was witnessed dishonestly.

I had the good day when I met Don Rosa and he signed my US copies (1st work,my Rosa favourite stories). He is a man of his word and I can see that. I am of the same character as his is. I can understand why he disapproves the idea of enclosed comics.

I have not put my copies into slabs yet but I have my TBP books that reprints all Rosa's stories so it is fine with me to read over and over.

"comics are meant to be read" was a common rallying cry when CGC came into existence. While I agree that comics are meant to be read, it also disregards decades of high grade comic book collecting. People have been collecting high grade books for a long time and putting them in mylar with absolutely no intention of ever reading them. Would Rosa have a problem if I asked him to sign a comic with the intention of putting it in a box never to be read, and not to see the light of day for many years? He should be concerned about that just like he's concerned about slabbing. No, Rosa's objection sounds like the objections of others who are anti-slabbing. The artist/creator objections stem from the fact that they don't want people making money off comics that they sign for you and then get slabbed and sold.

As far as reading is concerned, many people buy lower grade reading copies or trades/reprints for that purpose. Sure you can read a high grade copy. Nothing is stopping you but you better be careful of you'll damage it and potentially ruin the value, if you care about that sort of thing. Some people don't.

The other issue I have with his attitude is that even if hundreds of copies of a particular comic are slabbed, there are still thousands out there of the same issue that you can read and enjoyed. Slabbing a few does not hinder anyone's ability to read the story in that particular comic book. There aren't many (are there any??) Rosa books that you would have trouble finding another copy. We aren't talking about golden age comics here.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Archie10cents private msg quote post Address this user
Jerkfro, you made good points and I do agree. I don't have many slabs here in my collection. By ratio, it would be like 1% of the total by books I have.

I have over hundreds of high grade pre-1975 books. But I also buy hardcover volumes, TPBs or lower grade comics to read. I like to read stories from the originals whenever I can. If I come across a book that was on my wanted list, is a high grade and at a reasonable price. I buy it for two reasons: to get my series closer to full set, and to put in box for keeping as part of investment.

I can wait until I find a lower grade copy of the same book. Then I read it and put in a new bag/board to trade or sell to buy more other books. There are always a good deal to find them.
Post 28 IP   flag post
For the record, I was anti-slabbing back in 2000. However, over time my stance has changed. There's room for both slabbed and raw comics. The objection that "comics were meant to reading" really doesn't hold up.

If a creator is pissed because he/she feels cheated that you sold the comic on ebay for lots of money, well that's a different issue and a different type of objection.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Archie10cents private msg quote post Address this user
My issue is that there are way too many people stabbing modern comics. I mean a lot that are derks or worth like only $20 ea. I did not see the point of doing that. A waste of time, my thinking.

However, if it is a big key or high grade ... yes I can see that reason. That is more for as investment. So, I accept for this reason only.

For the record, I don't like the idea of stabbing still. I can't smell the wonderful scent of old comics locked inside!
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
For the record, I don't like the idea of stabbing still. I can't smell the wonderful scent of old comics locked inside!

Oh, I agree. That's why digital can never replace paper copies for me.

When I was a kid in the 70s, my family had a summer shack about an hour away. I had a small stack of comics there and one of the things I looked forward to the most was going there for the first time every year and reading those comics again. They had that wonderful musty smell to them. The whole shack did. Every time I smell that smell, it instantly takes me back to those days.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Has anyone ever come across any artists or writers that are against books being graded? I had some books signed by Don Rosa whose well known for Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck Comics. Nice guy, but he does not allow AW if the book was going to be "slabbed" as he put it and disapproves it.

If that picture is for real, was CBCS in Business at the time of signing date? That date to me means 1 of 3 possibilities on having a yellow label:
1) Don wasn't anti "slabbing" at the time.
2) The book was originally submitted to CGC and redone under CBCS
3) The person had a Witness that didn't make themselves known to Don when the book was being sketched and signed. Which last I remember being told was breaking CBCS' AW Policies.
Post 32 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It's real and it's mine. It was done as a special favor at SDCC and he knew it was going to be graded. It was never in a cgc holder.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
they're not celebrities they're artists. Any artist who does not want to sign their name on the work they have done is strange.
And it does not matter whether the owner of the book wants to keep it raw, slab it or line the bottom of the bird cage with it.
its their book, they should be able to do what they want with it.

There's a long history of artists not signing their work, especially commissioned work. Andy Warhol was notorious for being sketchy about which works he would sign and which he would not.

An artist that has their own style will hardly ever sign their work. Part of the fun is watching people argue over which works are theirs, and which are not.

Another good example is Steve Ditko (artist of many early Marvel stories, Charton, etc). He is known to not sign on comics for years and years. It is rare to see his name signed ,and I do admire him for his stance on the subject here.

I have a book signed by him. I got it signed many moons ago when he was in Chicago for a store appearance.

Good to know that it's rare.
Post 34 IP   flag post
597994 34 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?