Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeQuestionsSignatures

COMIC ARTISTS/WRITERS THAT ARE ANTI-SLABBING1476

Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
Has anyone ever come across any artists or writers that are against books being graded? I had some books signed by Don Rosa whose well known for Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck Comics. Nice guy, but he does not allow AW if the book was going to be "slabbed" as he put it and disapproves it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Not up to him what you do with your book after you've bought it
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
But if you agree with the creator that you will not submit after signing then you are morally obliged not to.
Post 3 IP   flag post
His viewpoint was that comics are meant to be read and enjoyed, not "slabbed". Which I understand that everyone has their own opinion on things. I was just happy that he wasn't charging a fee and signed the books he was involved with. I questioned him about seeing CGC Yellow Labels he signed on eBay and he wasn't happy that it was witnessed dishonestly.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It's your property, do what you want with it.

Morally obliged? That makes no sense. Unless you sign some sort of contract stating you won't slab it, there is no obligation to do anything.

If he doesn't like grading companies he can either charge a fee or refuse to sign. He can't make you do anything
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
But if you agree with the creator that you will not submit after signing then you are morally obliged not to.
He did respect me for asking his viewpoint on the matter before signing my books. At the time I figured later on at one point I would just get them submitted under red label grading.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS witnesses are required to agree to a code of conduct in order to witness for them. Any AW that is caught submitting a comic for the yellow label for an artist that has specifically stated that they do not want their signatures witnessed, would be subject to correction. These comics would have to be submitted for the verified signature, red label, program. At least, that is how I understand it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Makes sense
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I remember reading about this issue with some comic book writers. When I wanted to send him my first set of books to be graded, I did a lot of research on it and found an article about a particular artist who didn't approve of encapsulating.

He was very set that books were meant to be read. When I read the article, I remember thinking that his books are in Trades so why does he care. They will be read and enjoyed.

I also remember this article which I thought was funny.

http://comicsincrisis.blogspot.com/2009/10/cgc-comics-comics-under-glass.html

I like the part where he says "For all I know, it's just the covers and some other comic is inside!"
Post 9 IP   flag post
I think a lot of creators who think this way are completely mislead when it comes to encapsulation and grading. I mean, that's the POINT, isn't it? To totally validate the condition of a book, not to mention document it.

It's when collecting turned into flipping where lines started crossing. Add in greed, well, it's any other business.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@roarzola lol if they think that's bad, what would they think of the absolute joke that is video game grading, spearheaded by the very PGX-ish sounding, Video Game Authority (VGA)?

So I totally understand the "you can't read it" criticism of grading comics but at the very least when a comic is graded the entirety of its condition is catalogued and factored into the grade.

These VGA guys mostly grade SEALED games. Meaning they're not even grading the completeness or condition of the whole package. Instead, most of the label notes lovingly detail the condition of the shrinkwrap. Whether the game inside is the actual game on the box, if it includes all the manuals and extras, etc can't really be examined at all so what good is it?

I'm a huge collector of things, and I love video games; I also love to collect video games but this service fills none of my needs. At least comic grading grew out of a grading system already widely used by collectors and attempted to standardize it through an impartial third party. Video game collecting has no such tradition of standards, certainly not for sealed games, for something like this to be of any use to anyone.

And don't get me started on people who try to sell graded games. If you thought the markups on graded books were bad...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Archie10cents private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
His viewpoint was that comics are meant to be read and enjoyed, not "slabbed". Which I understand that everyone has their own opinion on things. I was just happy that he wasn't charging a fee and signed the books he was involved with. I questioned him about seeing CGC Yellow Labels he signed on eBay and he wasn't happy that it was witnessed dishonestly.

I had the good day when I met Don Rosa and he signed my US copies (1st work,my Rosa favourite stories). He is a man of his word and I can see that. I am of the same character as his is. I can understand why he disapproves the idea of enclosed comics.

I have not put my copies into slabs yet but I have my TBP books that reprints all Rosa's stories so it is fine with me to read over and over.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@roarzola lol if they think that's bad, what would they think of the absolute joke that is video game grading, spearheaded by the very PGX-ish sounding, Video Game Authority (VGA)?

VGA (Video Game Authority), CGA (Collectible Grading Authority), AFA (Action Figure Authority), CDA (Collectible Doll Authority), DCA (Die Cast Authority), and VGA (Video Game Authority) are all owned by CGA, Collectible Grading Authority. Same company.

However, I get all my carded and boxed sealed toys encapsulated in slideout box style or flap style acrylic cases. To protect them. Grading a sealed video game or toy is stupid. Just plain stupid.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
There's also a company that will grade lego sets
Post 14 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
is there a company that will grade my 1970 Coca-Cola yo-yo
Hmm only VG too much scuffed around the edges due to walking the dog :-p
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Has anyone ever come across any artists or writers that are against books being graded?

Al Plastino (RIP) refused to sign Action 252s for slabbing or otherwise. He told me so at a con.
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I've seen it where some professional will charge a different rate if it's going for CGC/CBCS or if the fan is keeping it raw.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Silly stuff here.

I have thousands and thousands of comic books. But I have only read maybe forty of them.

I also have an original Optimus Prime toy that I have never played with, and never will. Even though it was made to be played with.

This is what happens when we put celebrities on pedestals. They become full of themselves.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
they're not celebrities they're artists. Any artist who does not want to sign their name on the work they have done is strange.
And it does not matter whether the owner of the book wants to keep it raw, slab it or line the bottom of the bird cage with it.
its their book, they should be able to do what they want with it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Silly stuff here.

I have thousands and thousands of comic books. But I have only read maybe forty of them.

I also have an original Optimus Prime toy that I have never played with, and never will. Even though it was made to be played with.

This is what happens when we put celebrities on pedestals. They become full of themselves.

To play devil's advocate, one could say the same thing about collectors being full of themselves. There's a bigger accusation to be made that collectors artificially drive up the market prices and put certain objects out of reach of the everyday person.

Here's the bigger issue that I see: people are buying toys and comics as an investment, but what made toys and comics important to people like me is that they were part of my childhood. I played with star wars action figures, GI Joe (the old 12" style) Evel Knievel, Mebo Batman, etc, etc, etc .....

Without that sentimental value, it lowers the financial value of any said item. I'll never pay $2k for Jango Fett action figure, but I will for a Boba Fett original. Why? Boba brings back the memories of me creating and acting out my own Star Wars stories, Jango doesn't.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
they're not celebrities they're artists. Any artist who does not want to sign their name on the work they have done is strange.
And it does not matter whether the owner of the book wants to keep it raw, slab it or line the bottom of the bird cage with it.

There's a long history of artists not signing their work, especially commissioned work. Andy Warhol was notorious for being sketchy about which works he would sign and which he would not.

An artist that has their own style will hardly ever sign their work. Part of the fun is watching people argue over which works are theirs, and which are not.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

There's a long history of artists not signing their work, especially commissioned work. Andy Warhol was notorious for being sketchy about which works he would sign and which he would not.

An artist that has their own style will hardly ever sign their work. Part of the fun is watching people argue over which works are theirs, and which are not.

Another good example is Steve Ditko (artist of many early Marvel stories, Charton, etc). He is known to not sign on comics for years and years. It is rare to see his name signed ,and I do admire him for his stance on the subject here.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think someone that collects Desoto's or Renior's "played" with them when they were a kid.

People collect for many different reasons. One is investment. Another is nostalgia. Maybe even just out of boredom.

But one thing for sure. What I own, is mine. To do with it as I please. Even if I want to slab it, or burn it on a youtube video.

Once you sell it, or sign it. That signature or that book, is not your property. No matter your wishes.

Imagine the father that let's you marry his daughter, on the condition that you never "consummate" the marriage.

Tough luck daddy. You should have said no.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector frankenstein private msg quote post Address this user
Wasn'tQuote:
Originally Posted by Archie10cents
Quote:

I had the good day when I met Don Rosa and he signed my US copies (1st work,my Rosa favourite stories). He is a man of his word and I can see that. I am of the same character as his is. I can understand why he disapproves the idea of enclosed comics.

I have not put my copies into slabs yet but I have my TBP books that reprints all Rosa's stories so it is fine with me to read over and over.
t

Is this the same Don Rosa who had his slabbed books auctioned off by Heritage.
Known as The Don Rosa Collection
Comicpedigrees.com is proud to announce the long-awaited release of the Don Rosa collection to the public this month! Featuring over 6,000 comics, this amazing collection was only offered to collectors at four shows last year, with a few select books reaching eBay. It has been completely off the market for almost a year. Starting with the Marvel titles A through M, comicpedigrees.com has listed�almost 2,000 Don Rosa books for sale, including 400 CGC-graded issues — of which nearly 200�are grade 9.6 and�100 are grade�9.8!

click to enlarge

click to enlarge
Accumulated by world-renowned and Eisner award-winning comic book artist, writer, and historian, Keno Don Rosa, this collection contained every comic book and magazine issued from every publisher from 1966 to the late 1980s. Don Rosa began collecting in earnest in 1962, as he purchased each comic from the newsstands, read them only once, and carefully tucked them away in optimum storage conditions, using archival boxes and a climate controlled "vault." Because they were stored in such an environment with no use of polybags, each book exhibits a brilliant sheen, deep ink reflectivity, sharp corners and a fresh newsstand appearance.

click to enlarge

click to enlarge
Since the 1960s, Don Rosa has been recognized as one of the first comics history scholars of fandom. He has written and illustrated Question & Answer columns for the major fanzines of the 1970s, including such notable publications as Rocket's Blast Comiccollector, CBG (TBG), Comics Journal, and Amazing Heroes. During the 1980s, Don Rosa gained fame as one of the world's most famous and recognized cartoonists as he worked on the Duck books for Disney and Gladstone.

In addition to the release of the Don Rosa collection, CBP has also released the CGC grades for the famous Central Valley Collection, unveiled at San Diego Comic Con this summer
Post 24 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Has anyone ever come across any artists or writers that are against books being graded? I had some books signed by Don Rosa whose well known for Uncle Scrooge and Donald Duck Comics. Nice guy, but he does not allow AW if the book was going to be "slabbed" as he put it and disapproves it.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user

I sure like that label
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie10cents
Quote:

"comics are meant to be read" was a common rallying cry when CGC came into existence. While I agree that comics are meant to be read, it also disregards decades of high grade comic book collecting. People have been collecting high grade books for a long time and putting them in mylar with absolutely no intention of ever reading them. Would Rosa have a problem if I asked him to sign a comic with the intention of putting it in a box never to be read, and not to see the light of day for many years? He should be concerned about that just like he's concerned about slabbing. No, Rosa's objection sounds like the objections of others who are anti-slabbing. The artist/creator objections stem from the fact that they don't want people making money off comics that they sign for you and then get slabbed and sold.

As far as reading is concerned, many people buy lower grade reading copies or trades/reprints for that purpose. Sure you can read a high grade copy. Nothing is stopping you but you better be careful of you'll damage it and potentially ruin the value, if you care about that sort of thing. Some people don't.

The other issue I have with his attitude is that even if hundreds of copies of a particular comic are slabbed, there are still thousands out there of the same issue that you can read and enjoyed. Slabbing a few does not hinder anyone's ability to read the story in that particular comic book. There aren't many (are there any??) Rosa books that you would have trouble finding another copy. We aren't talking about golden age comics here.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Jerkfro, you made good points and I do agree. I don't have many slabs here in my collection. By ratio, it would be like 1% of the total by books I have.

I have over hundreds of high grade pre-1975 books. But I also buy hardcover volumes, TPBs or lower grade comics to read. I like to read stories from the originals whenever I can. If I come across a book that was on my wanted list, is a high grade and at a reasonable price. I buy it for two reasons: to get my series closer to full set, and to put in box for keeping as part of investment.

I can wait until I find a lower grade copy of the same book. Then I read it and put in a new bag/board to trade or sell to buy more other books. There are always a good deal to find them.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
For the record, I was anti-slabbing back in 2000. However, over time my stance has changed. There's room for both slabbed and raw comics. The objection that "comics were meant to reading" really doesn't hold up.

If a creator is pissed because he/she feels cheated that you sold the comic on ebay for lots of money, well that's a different issue and a different type of objection.
Post 29 IP   flag post
My issue is that there are way too many people stabbing modern comics. I mean a lot that are derks or worth like only $20 ea. I did not see the point of doing that. A waste of time, my thinking.

However, if it is a big key or high grade ... yes I can see that reason. That is more for as investment. So, I accept for this reason only.

For the record, I don't like the idea of stabbing still. I can't smell the wonderful scent of old comics locked inside!
Post 30 IP   flag post
600644 34 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?