Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What's your oldest Comic?14700

Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
I just had the thought of what was actually my oldest comic because I wasn't really sure without checking. Mine was a Special Edition Navy Giveaway (1944)

I'm sure people here have some amazing stuff if wanna share your oldest book in your collection.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Published in 1952

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector TellEmSteveDave private msg quote post Address this user
My oldest and favorite.

Post 3 IP   flag post
@flanders Very Awesome Cover!

@TellEmSteveDave jealous...
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
wonder woman march 1946
wonder woman july 1948

A few honorable mentions

Zoo Funnies Nov 1954
Jojo Comics Feb 1948

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
I have an incomplete Superman 6, from 1940. My oldest complete comic is a Captain Marvel Adventures 19, cover date Jan 1, 1943.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
@cyrano0521 Do you have any pics of those? These old covers are cool to see
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
Spirit weekly from March 1941:

If you want actual "funny book" Ace Comics #64, July 1942:

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaz13
@cyrano0521 Do you have any pics of those? These old covers are cool to see

Not handy, but hopefully i can get one of the CMA.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
My oldest is Batman 8 (1941), though interestingly I also have an Action Comics 80, which enaz13’s book reprints, and a Wonder Woman 30 like Darkseid_of_town.

Post 11 IP   flag post
@xvipah That Ace Comics cover is pretty funny
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
@enaz13 Yea man, not sure who the artist(s) are for these issues. I own 10 of them, and the art style is distinctive and usually funny.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector psucl99 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 14 IP   flag post
@psucl99 dang, that's some history right there. Almost a century old.Just WoW!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@KCBatmanFan I wonder how many comic books have done that cover in a cover? I'm guessing are many modern comics but I wonder if that's the first to do that?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

1959. There are a few GA books at the LCS I've had my eye on but I haven't made that leap yet.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Comicninja0215 That looks like a nice grade, is there a reason you haven't got it graded? I just ask because I have a low grade (2.0) and know the price has gone up quite a lot on it.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
@KCBatmanFan I wonder how many comic books have done that cover in a cover? I'm guessing are many modern comics but I wonder if that's the first to do that?

Yes, it's the first standard format comic with an Infinity Cover. There's a flip book format comic from 1938 that predates it: https://www.cbr.com/what-was-the-first-comic-book-infinity-cover/
Post 19 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
1940 for me

Post 20 IP   flag post
@KCBatmanFan I learned something today!!!
Post 21 IP   flag post
@KCBatmanFan I do have an action 80 too

Although I am confused how the reprint is dated before the original. Haven't looked into it to understand whats going on with the dates. I do remember the inside of the giveaway was a little different than the action 80 but wouldn't think it would of been released first
Post 22 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
1943 Crowley copy 👍

Post 23 IP   flag post
@southerncross I wouldn't think they could show someone being shot on a comic cover back then. Even though there is no blood I'm surprised. Very Cool!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@southerncross I wouldn't think they could show someone being shot on a comic cover back then. Even though there is no blood I'm surprised. Very Cool!

1943 all pre code goodness 👍
Post 25 IP   flag post

Post 26 IP   flag post
@southerncross lol okay I evidently had no idea they did those kind of covers back then.Damn that's two things I learned about comics today.
Post 27 IP   flag post
And the 1945s war covers

Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
@KCBatmanFan I do have an action 80 too...

Although I am confused how the reprint is dated before the original. Haven't looked into it to understand whats going on with the dates. I do remember the inside of the giveaway was a little different than the action 80 but wouldn't think it would of been released first

Action Comics 80 is the January 1945 issue, which means it was probably on stands in the fourth quarter of 1944. So, if I had to guess, since Special Edition #1 doesn't have a cover date, they just go with the publication date of 1944 on the label, while Action Comics 80 is the "January 1945" issue so that's what's reflected.

They were probably printed around the same time with Special Edition having the alterations for the Navy after 80 went to press. That's just my guess.
Post 29 IP   flag post
And my oldest Australian printed comic.
1948 I think from memory.

Yes it's only a Black Hawk

But it has a newspaper print cover which makes them harder to find existing copies, forget about condition.

And Australia has a miniscule population compared to the United States so the printed numbers at the time were way lower.

Can't wait for cbcs to bring out a magazine size slab so I can get this one in a 8.0 👍

Post 30 IP   flag post
616193 78 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?