Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Apparently PGX has opened up a second location in Florida.

My first thought was that this was a quick move to capture the card business that CGC can't keep up with. But they've added Mike Carbonaro who has been around forever. And Mikey Halperin. Isn't he the son of Jim Halperin, who owns Heritage?

The plot thickens.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Can they obtain that much business for a second location??
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Seems like an attempt to raise their profile by adding actual veteran industry "pros"

If they could shake the bad grading from past and present and the stench of the self grading incident(s) it could work.

I maintain that with so many new people entering comic collecting (be it a bubble or not) that many don't really know about the differences real or perceived between companies.

Adding former CGC and Heritage staff goes a long way toward legitimacy
Post 3 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
If you are going to invest this much into expanding the company, why not just start fresh using a new company name without the baggage?
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
If you are going to invest this much into expanding the company, why not just start fresh using a new company name without the baggage?

Agreed! Not sure PGX can ever shake their rep while keeping that brand. They're trying tho.....
Post 5 IP   flag post
It's new and improved !!! but somehow still the same.....
Post 6 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicninja0215

LOL!
Post 7 IP   flag post
@sborock 👍👍👍🤣
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
Office is fully staffed, send them fuckin books eh?

Post 9 IP   flag post
@mediaslave Holy s**T!!! lmao
Post 10 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Someone asked previously just how soiled is PGX's reputation? I would say that it's kind of like a silent fart in that just being around it makes you suspect. If I'm looking on Ebay and a dealer has more than one or two PGX books for sale, it's a big red flag for me. I would not buy raw books from that dealer, I would assume that their grading standards are soft and they are looking for an angle to manufacture value.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
The bottom line is....while we have choice re: CBCS and CGC, why would anyone pick those guys?
Post 12 IP   flag post
I hears the turnaround time over there for everything is two hours lmao
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
I hears the turnaround time over there for everything is two hours lmao

11 minutes if you show up with beer.

THe more beer you bring the faster the turn around, and the higher the grades too.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
The problem is with both CGC and CBCS backlogged, PGX will pick up the scraps from new collectors who have no idea - and want to get their books graded & to market as quickly as possible.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
The bottom line is....while we have choice re: CBCS and CGC, why would anyone pick those guys?

I guess some people believe graded is graded, and they are cheap to do.

I have bought 3 PGX books, hoping for a cheap 9.8 CGC candidate. Failed miserably all 3 times.
Post 16 IP   flag post
@mediaslave In that case I'm bringing a case of extra gold! I mean beer is beer right...
Post 17 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
So far I've had 2 PGX books cracked and turned into CBCS..now they had a press thrown in too but the grades stayed the same on one and dropped one level on another - which I think you could argue is reasonable for any crack and re-submit
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector monjoody private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave

Green Bastard Comic Grading?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
As long as there are thousands of overgraded books floating around out there in PGX cases they will always have the reputation as the company with the sketchiest grading.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
Apparently PGX has opened up a second location in Florida.

My first thought was that this was a quick move to capture the card business that CGC can't keep up with. But they've added Mike Carbonaro who has been around forever. And Mikey Halperin. Isn't he the son of Jim Halperin, who owns Heritage?

The plot thickens.

Who's the babe?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector vision6797 private msg quote post Address this user
I have been using all 4 grading companies, to see how they stack up. CBCS is excellent with the grading and especially on the signature verification, which is where i will be sending more of my signed books. CGC use to be the Gold standard, but there have been too many issues with their Grading and also a lot of miss labelling, PGX, I have been happy with All but one of my Grading except one, and they quickly recified it. I am waiting on EGS , I sent two books to them , also requested custom labels. So far, CBCS is #1, followed by PGX (so far). CGC is third, due to a lot of issues they are going through. Am still waiting on EGS. All in all getting books graded for myself has been a learning experience. 52 years of collecting and have just slowly gotten into graded books this past 18 months. Keep up the good work CBCS
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Pedigree private msg quote post Address this user
I posted in another thread asking what people thought of the new PGX east and was told that we're not allowed to talk about PGX here, so I deleted my post.

I thought about getting some books graded by them for my personal collection, the ones I wasn't going to sell anyways. Liked the cheaper prices and fast turnaround times. Also their office is in Portland so that's really close to me.

I emailed them a week ago asking a few questions on shipping to Canada and they didn't respond at all. So lol, so much for that. I was about to ship a bunch of books to them but forget it now. If I'm shipping books I would like to know that a grading company would actually respond to me.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision6797
I have been using all 4 grading companies, to see how they stack up.

We all got to start somewhere. In all honesty, I used PGX almost exclusively before CBCS started in 2014. But I saw too much, I had to rationalize the soft grades. I had to over-ride my instincts and intuition too many times. I still have about 25 PGX slabs that I'm too skittish to sell on the open market. If you deal in PGX books you really do get labeled as a PGX guy and it makes people suspicious of your judgement and ethics.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree
I posted in another thread asking what people thought of the new PGX east and was told that we're not allowed to talk about PGX here, so I deleted my post.

I just wanted to clarify, you can talk about PGX here, but you cannot post pictures of their slabs.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave

Three characters in search of a play. Collectibles industry is like a magnet for characters in search of a hustle. It's kind of hard to figure out who is worthy of "Industry Pro" status and who is just a character that stuck around for a long time.
Post 26 IP   flag post
PGX, even we don't know what we're doing....
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision6797
I have been using all 4 grading companies, to see how they stack up.

We all got to start somewhere. In all honesty, I used PGX almost exclusively before CBCS started in 2014. But I saw too much, I had to rationalize the soft grades. I had to over-ride my instincts and intuition too many times. I still have about 25 PGX slabs that I'm too skittish to sell on the open market. If you deal in PGX books you really do get labeled as a PGX guy and it makes people suspicious of your judgement and ethics.

I didn't buy a sketch cover from a seller on eBay because when I checked the rest of his inventory it was almost exclusively PGX books.
Post 28 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Like laundry detergent.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@DrWatson exactly
Post 30 IP   flag post
597964 68 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?