Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS GradedComics Restoration and ConservationSigning Opportunities

Help me help you!14694

I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@xvipah Good call on the VSP! An absolute gamechanger!
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet so I'll go ahead an say it. I was close to buying to buying a membership with cbcs over cgc but when I called to ask questions the customer service was terrible. No disrespect but I couldn't understand the 1st guy so I told him I'd call back and when I did the next person also couldn't really explain anything about the services, tiers, costs or grading turn around times. They all told me to refer to the website but unfortunately I had questions I felt I didnt see. I was thinking of sending in golden age and magazine size, signature verification books. The customer service couldn't answer not one of my questions. Just my 2 cents.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
On the label issue: I do think a special “Cool book” label might be neat.

It could be rare and maybe even reach out to the submitter before just putting it on there.

By Cool book, I mean books you point out on your Cool books thread.

I’d dig it, but I can see this being a really small group.
Post 103 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvipah
It's been said before, but man magazine grading would be awesome. Unlike comic books, if I'm grading a magazine it's almost always for me. And if it's for me I would love to use the CBCS slabs rather than CGC.

I'm ok with the current TaT's and the impact FastPass has on them personally. Just would like to make sure that that doesn't get "worse" as time goes on. I get the feeling demand for CBCS services is going to keep growing, hopefully you guys can keep up unlike your competitors and unlike some of the card grading companies *cough* PSA *cough*.

Things I love:
The signature verification service is the absolute best thing I think you guys do. I love the idea of getting to stand in line, get a sig/drawing on a book, and not have to "settle" for a purple label or a lower grade.

I'm a fan of the raw grading as well. I know there's debate around it, but I like it. Means that if I DO want to sell something raw, I can at least have a professional opinion to go with my personal one. Also a great way to get things graded for the PC without the space restrictions of a slab.

Thanks for the response! I think the Raw Grade is a cool buying and selling tool as well!
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmanick
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet so I'll go ahead an say it. I was close to buying to buying a membership with cbcs over cgc but when I called to ask questions the customer service was terrible. No disrespect but I couldn't understand the 1st guy so I told him I'd call back and when I did the next person also couldn't really explain anything about the services, tiers, costs or grading turn around times. They all told me to refer to the website but unfortunately I had questions I felt I didnt see. I was thinking of sending in golden age and magazine size, signature verification books. The customer service couldn't answer not one of my questions. Just my 2 cents.

Your 2 cents makes perfect sense. Thanks for posting! We are looking into the CS problems and will find a way to make it better.
Post 105 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
On the label issue: I do think a special “Cool book” label might be neat.

It could be rare and maybe even reach out to the submitter before just putting it on there.

By Cool book, I mean books you point out on your Cool books thread.

I’d dig it, but I can see this being a really small group.

Too small of a pond to spend the extra money on a new label. But still, it's a cool idea, thanks!
Post 106 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock Totally fair.

It’s definitely a pie in the sky idea, but I like bringing it up : )

Keep up the great work!
Post 107 IP   flag post
I'm sure whatever it was you got me was perfect. PhantomEwan private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to start off by saying that I had the pleasure of meeting you at ECCC I believe the first year you attended and were actually in the convention. I was blown away by you as a person and fellow comic enthusiast. I knew right then that CBCS was the place for me. Fast forward a couple of years and CBCS was not allowed in the convention and had a site near by. I travelled there and had the onsite grading!! I was very excited and treated very well. When I picked up my submission I found two copies of the same comic with very different grades (8.5 & 9.6). I asked and was shown a crease on the back of the 8.5 that had resulted in the lower than expected grade. I then checked the other and saw it had the same defect. I pointed this out to the customer service rep. He agreed with me that there was no way the second comic was a 9.6 I expected that for my honesty I would be offered a free regrading of my comic so it would have the correct but significantly lower grade. But instead I was told, "looks like you got lucky!". Obviously expecting me to be happy about the mistake. I have not submitted a comic for grading to CBCS since that day. I need to feel confident about the integrity of the company.
That is a longer story than I thought it would be, but in the end I guess I am saying (like many others before me) customer service needs improvement.
Secondly and much less lengthy. Some people like the custom labels, and CGC offers Marvel. Would CBCS might want to consider looking into a partnership with DC or even Image about similar labels.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock !
bummer I'm a little late to the party but thanks for this great opportunity to share our likes/dislikes with you and the CBCS crew.

1. Mag slabs, but you knew this already.

2. I wouldn't go for them because they're just too busy for a slab but folks really seem to like those character labels. I'm an advocate for more issue info on a book. I'd rather see a notion of something about the story or a character appearance than no note at all (i'm taking about the right side of the label). And please don't consider putting emoji icons on slab labels ever.

3. You know many of us have minor strokes sending books in b/c of USPS/FedEx etc. so a proper comic in-take system would be a reassuring feature for collectors. I know we receive an email showing the submission received but it would be an improvement showing a list of the books submitted along with charges.

4. Keep the grading strict whether we like it or not.

5. Membership coupons should be applied at check out instead of on the invoice.

6. I must say a site redesign or overhaul would be a breath of fresh air for CBCS. We got new slabs, new labels, new programs but no new site. Some collector personalization would be cool too. Something where they could organize books and orders they've had in the past. For example they have all their graded books categorized by grade.

Been here since 2014 and plan on staying for a long time.

Thanks Steve!
Post 109 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomEwan
I would like to start off by saying that I had the pleasure of meeting you at ECCC I believe the first year you attended and were actually in the convention. I was blown away by you as a person and fellow comic enthusiast. I knew right then that CBCS was the place for me. Fast forward a couple of years and CBCS was not allowed in the convention and had a site near by. I travelled there and had the onsite grading!! I was very excited and treated very well. When I picked up my submission I found two copies of the same comic with very different grades (8.5 & 9.6). I asked and was shown a crease on the back of the 8.5 that had resulted in the lower than expected grade. I then checked the other and saw it had the same defect. I pointed this out to the customer service rep. He agreed with me that there was no way the second comic was a 9.6 I expected that for my honesty I would be offered a free regrading of my comic so it would have the correct but significantly lower grade. But instead I was told, "looks like you got lucky!". Obviously expecting me to be happy about the mistake. I have not submitted a comic for grading to CBCS since that day. I need to feel confident about the integrity of the company.
That is a longer story than I thought it would be, but in the end I guess I am saying (like many others before me) customer service needs improvement.
Secondly and much less lengthy. Some people like the custom labels, and CGC offers Marvel. Would CBCS might want to consider looking into a partnership with DC or even Image about similar labels.

I am sorry that happened to you! Please PM me and I will get your info to the correct person to deal with. Thanks for sharing your problem and thanks for the kind words about me. Glad we had a chance to meet, maybe I will see you at ECCC this Dec.
Post 110 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
@sborock !
bummer I'm a little late to the party but thanks for this great opportunity to share our likes/dislikes with you and the CBCS crew.

1. Mag slabs, but you knew this already.

2. I wouldn't go for them because they're just too busy for a slab but folks really seem to like those character labels. I'm an advocate for more issue info on a book. I'd rather see a notion of something about the story or a character appearance than no note at all (i'm taking about the right side of the label). And please don't consider putting emoji icons on slab labels ever.

3. You know many of us have minor strokes sending books in b/c of USPS/FedEx etc. so a proper comic in-take system would be a reassuring feature for collectors. I know we receive an email showing the submission received but it would be an improvement showing a list of the books submitted along with charges.

4. Keep the grading strict whether we like it or not.

5. Membership coupons should be applied at check out instead of on the invoice.

6. I must say a site redesign or overhaul would be a breath of fresh air for CBCS. We got new slabs, new labels, new programs but no new site. Some collector personalization would be cool too. Something where they could organize books and orders they've had in the past. For example they have all their graded books categorized by grade.

Been here since 2014 and plan on staying for a long time.

Thanks Steve!

Thank you! We are already talking about some of the things you dislike. Also, magazines are coming. Already saw the prototype.
Post 111 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
To be specific, I think it's the CBCS logo and the roundness of the numerical grade font that I like least on the label.
Post 112 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty much everyone has made suggestions.

I met the cbcs staff during the inaugural grading expo.
Found the staff friendly and passionate about the hobby.

There was a informal free comic appraisal on the Sunday of the expo for those that brought in books.
One of the books I brought with me was a Flash 105.
It was restored and had a page missing which I new about as I'm a bargain collector and for $50 it was a bargain to me.

Soon as Steve held the book in his hand he said there's glue on the spine which was correct.
And the book is light so it's missing a page.
He could tell it was incomplete by the weight of the book prior to opening it up.

That is experience from someone who has graded a lot of comics.

If he can pass that expertise to his current and possible new graders.

The consistency in grading can be maintained.

At the end of the day, consistent grading is paramount. 👍
Post 113 IP   flag post
Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:

Your 2 cents makes perfect sense. Thanks for posting! We are looking into the CS problems and will find a way to make it better.

Thanks for the reply. It was just shocking to me that a grading companies cs didnt know the difference between a modern age, silver age, golden age comics. I'd you dont mine me asking are you guys using an international customer service company.
Post 114 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Pretty much everyone has made suggestions.

I met the cbcs staff during the inaugural grading expo.
Found the staff friendly and passionate about the hobby.

There was a informal free comic appraisal on the Sunday of the expo for those that brought in books.
One of the books I brought with me was a Flash 105.
It was restored and had a page missing which I new about as I'm a bargain collector and for $50 it was a bargain to me.

Soon as Steve held the book in his hand he said there's glue on the spine which was correct.
And the book is light so it's missing a page.
He could tell it was incomplete by the weight of the book prior to opening it up.

That is experience from someone who has graded a lot of comics.

If he can pass that expertise to his current and possible new graders.

The consistency in grading can be maintained.

At the end of the day, consistent grading is paramount. 👍

Thanks for the kind words! I agree with you completely about the consistency of grading. Should be 1st and foremost (along with the restoration check).
Post 115 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
i like the case the best and the forum here is really great. I also like the submission form which I think is very user friendly especially if you're new to the game. The staff interactions are spectacular.

if theyre was one thing to change it would be to update the dashboard as everything flows through the process a little faster.👍
Post 116 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicninja0215
i like the case the best and the forum here is really great. I also like the submission form which I think is very user friendly especially if you're new to the game. The staff interactions are spectacular.

if theyre was one thing to change it would be to update the dashboard as everything flows through the process a little faster.👍

I agree about the updates! Thanks for responding!
Post 117 IP   flag post
@sborock Your welcome!! Thanks to you and the staff for everything you guys do for us!
Post 118 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. It was just shocking to me that a grading companies cs didnt know the difference between a modern age, silver age, golden age comics. I'd you dont mine me asking are you guys using an international customer service company.

Some people we use at conventions are not as knowledgeable about certain eras, just what they collect.
Yes, we use CS people here and in India.
Post 119 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
not sure if the #'s are there to make it worth it but a CBCS Canada membership would be a nice option
Post 120 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
not sure if the #'s are there to make it worth it but a CBCS Canada membership would be a nice option

Cool, I will bring that up in our next meeting.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
Is it possible to have some place we can enter suggestions for items to be noted on comic slabs? Because I've received comics back that didn't have notations on the slab of things I thought would be important. If it's not having enough people/resources to verify everything problem this could help fill in the gaps for things missing on slabs.

Just some examples missing on slabs I was surprised about from on my submissions:

Thor: 339 Creation of Stormbreaker
Thor: 390 Didn't mention Captain lifting Mjolnir
Thor: 391 First appearance of Eric Masterson

I know we can note on orders but wish there was a place on the CBCS site to do this.
Post 122 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaz13
Is it possible to have some place we can enter suggestions for items to be noted on comic slabs? Because I've received comics back that didn't have notations on the slab of things I thought would be important. If it's not having enough people/resources to verify everything problem this could help fill in the gaps for things missing on slabs.

Just some examples missing on slabs I was surprised about from on my submissions:

Thor: 339 Creation of Stormbreaker
Thor: 390 Didn't mention Captain lifting Mjolnir
Thor: 391 First appearance of Eric Masterson

I know we can note on orders but wish there was a place on the CBCS site to do this.

Thanks for the input! I will talk with my Modern guys and see if I can find a good solution.
Post 123 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock - I know that you have seen others and myself point out a 'thank you' for this thread. Not only is it a credit to yourself in inviting direct feedback, pro & con, from your customers. But, to do it in a public forum, well that's something special.

Cheers to you sir!
Post 124 IP   flag post
@Scifinator 100% this!
Post 125 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@sborock - I know that you have seen others and myself point out a 'thank you' for this thread. Not only is it a credit to yourself in inviting direct feedback, pro & con, from your customers. But, to do it in a public forum, well that's something special.

Cheers to you sir!

Thank you so much!
Post 126 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
More accurate updates on current stage of an order. I've have 3 orders that have said "grading" for a month. I imagine they are not in grading anymore after a month, but somewhere in encapsulation or somewhere down the line. There has to be a more accurate way to show where your books are in the process other than just showing grading for long periods. I have seen the change to "shipping" before, but rarely any updates between "grading" and "shipping." As a collector it's nice to get updates when they move along the process more consistently.
I can watch my Domino's Pizza from start to finish and every step along the way, lol.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
More accurate updates on current stage of an order. I've have 3 orders that have said "grading" for a month. I imagine they are not in grading anymore after a month, but somewhere in encapsulation or somewhere down the line. There has to be a more accurate way to show where your books are in the process other than just showing grading for long periods. I have seen the change to "shipping" before, but rarely any updates between "grading" and "shipping." As a collector it's nice to get updates when they move along the process more consistently.
I can watch my Domino's Pizza from start to finish and every step along the way, lol.

Sounds like something to bring up at the next ops meeting. Thanks for taking the time to explain!
Post 128 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a little surprised to see "Status Updates" come up so often as really important to people. I currently have 4 submissions at CBCS and a 5th in the USPS systems. Better status updates would have no value for me. Honestly that's like the last place I would want to see resources and money dedicated. Back to my original post, If MCS accepts Raw Grade books, that has significant value for me. If the market starts to see more $50,000 books in CBCS slabs, that has value for me. If more people are persuaded to use CBCS and buy CBCS slabbed books, that has value for me. Additional status updates increases the value of my CBCS slabs by not one cent.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector monjoody private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I'm a little surprised to see "Status Updates" come up so often as really important to people. I currently have 4 submissions at CBCS and a 5th in the USPS systems. Better status updates would have no value for me. Honestly that's like the last place I would want to see resources and money dedicated. Back to my original post, If MCS accepts Raw Grade books, that has significant value for me. If the market starts to see more $50,000 books in CBCS slabs, that has value for me. If more people are persuaded to use CBCS and buy CBCS slabbed books, that has value for me. Additional status updates increases the value of my CBCS slabs by not one cent.

We have people on our neighborhood FB page constantly asking "Did USPS/UPS/FEDEX drop off my package at someone else's house? It's marked delivered, but isn't here" along with an updated "Just got it, two days late" message.

There is a value in adding one more "Received" or "In Hand" process before it goes into "Processing" to allay the fears that the shipping service (all of which are having logistical issues at present) lost their valuable collection.

That, to me, would give more confidence in the CBCS process, which would affect the more tangible values you've mentioned (more people using CBCS, buying CBCS slabs, etc..).
Post 130 IP   flag post
616096 237 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?