Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

For sale x-men 2 silver age key14686

Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I am offering this copy of x-men 2 for sale.
The book is raw and has never been pressed or slabbed. I have owned this book since mid 1986
It has been stored in a safe deposit box in proper mylar and boards the past 35 years.
the grading tab you see for the book was done by Robert Rotor of Pacific comic exchange during the early nineties. Robert went on to bring the pedigree Pacific collection to market . He graded the book a VF 8.0
I felt the grade was too generous and I view the book as being a 7.0-7.5 range . Clearly the comic would benefit from a press and clean.

My asking price is 3,000 in US dollars.

The previous sale for a 7.0 grade, was 2,640 preceded by a sale for 3120,
Average of the two is 2,880 , which is roughly the discount price for forum members.
Pricing is based on a 7.0 grade as is without press or clean

Terms are paypal, or money order, etc. Prefer US sales for this book.
Shipping is free within the United states upon purchase.

Returns within the first 7 days for this book once received provided that there is fair cause. Buyer's remorse is not fair cause, but if there is a legitimate problem, as long as the book is returned in the same condition as sold , a return is allowed.

Any member of the forum with a forum account for more than six months will qualify for both the free shipping within the US and a 5 percent discount from the asking price. (150 dollars off, for a total of 2850)

Negotiations by pm are fine, but the first solid Sold, or Claim in the thread itself takes precedence

Have made some overtures in the past to trade the book, but no takers so I am looking for a cash sale at this time.

Post 1 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
I see what was done here, this is a posting for only the averages, which does not show the higher individual sales for the last thirty days since Disney made their marvel mutants movie announcement.
Post 3 IP   flag post
And here are the actual sales as reported from GPA

Notice the previous two sales as I had stated above. The book does show a niney day window at 2352, but also shows a much higher window using the previous two sales examples.
Post 4 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Obviously gocollect data, with the missing recent sales data, thanks for posting that and demonstrating how far behind they are GAC.A quick glance at GPA clearly demonstrates later sales at the higher prices I mentioned.

Except for the fact that that is GPA and NOT GoCollect.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Yes I found what you had done, taking the averages instead of individual sales, knowing that Marvel only recently announced the new movie project. Naturally since then the book has climbed. It is indeed GPA, and the average for ninety days is 2352, BUT the previous two sales which i used, gave the average as I stated it.
Post 6 IP   flag post
no one is saying you did anything incorrect. I merely put in a screenshot of 7.0 and 7.5 graded x-men 2 books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
You merely put in the AVERAGES rather than the seperate sales knowing the movie announcement was recent and had not affected the ninety day you posted, no worries.

I dont mind, if someone wants it they will buy it and if not no worries....had it for 35 years, another few wont hurt. It definitely wont be any cheaper as the news from disney goes forward.
Post 8 IP   flag post
it clearly states its averages...that's my default setting. that's how I view my data.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
The guy who called it an 8.0...I hope you put a branding iron to his forehead so that we can all recognize him when we see him.
Post 10 IP   flag post
The man who graded it an 8.0 doesnt need a branding iron. That is Robert Rotor of Pacific comics who went on later to bring the pacific comic collection to market. He is a fairly well known name to the big hitters in the hobby. At one time he used to offer grading and also had a consignment service (early nineties prior to his finding the Pacific collection ?)
You also open up another whole valid discussion there, with a debate ive seen from time to time about the relaxed "west coast" grading style vs the east coast, etc. I still wonder if there are regional variances in grading styles. Back before the internet was so prevalent it was much more obvious, bit nowdays who knows

I havent looked in a year or two but he generally serves as a contributor for the Overstreet price guide , I believe in market trends . You wouldnt have to look far for him , he is rather well known

I do agree that he was generous with the grade, myself, as I said. I personally feel the book might be a 7.0 or potentially 7.5 and would benefit from a press. I chose to offer as is and let the future owner do that himself since the book is still original at this point
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town - Beautiful book, good luck with the sale!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Darkseid_of_town - Beautiful book, good luck with the sale!
Thanks Ed, hope you are doing well. I decided to just offer to sell it . Tried a few trades with it, but not much interest and I doubt it will sell here either. MCS will likely be able to move it at far over the ask price currently!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
You also open up another whole valid discussion there, with a debate ive seen from time to time about the relaxed "west coast" grading style vs the east coast, etc. I still wonder if there are regional variances in grading styles. Back before the internet was so prevalent it was much more obvious, bit nowdays who knows

I had not heard of that but I would say that there was truth to that before the internet and professional 3PG services. Books on the West Coast traveled farther and were probably handled by more parties by time they got to us buyers. It's kind of like fresh fish off the pier and fresh fish at the supermarket. I think our lower expectations probably followed through to all grade levels. I could see where a West Coast Dealer in the 80's would have at 8.0 what we now consider 7.0ish. In fact I remember it, now that you mention it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Funny how time and things change and seem so different than they were. it used to be they said buy east, sell west
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
it used to be they said buy east, sell west

Which would explain the influence of San Diego Comic Con, among other things. But I think the West Coast buyers also went with the Overstreet model of 9.4 as the highest value. Which as a kid I just figured was a recognition that they were purchased new with shipping dings and read once.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Prices are changing so incredibly fast upwards I would hate to price a nice key book now. It will be different in 2 weeks maybe.
Love that book, own a rag gift 2.5, one of my very first books.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town Gorgeous book! If I weren't overextended now with book purchases and grading fees, I might take it. Still tempted to.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Bumping my book back up there just cause, thanks
Post 19 IP   flag post
Final option before cross listing to MCS...willing to accept one third trade, 2/3 cash on my ask price.
Post 20 IP   flag post
one more bump before sending it off to MCS
Post 21 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
That's a very nice book and I hope you are able to sell it for a tidy sum with as few fees as possible. I would consider it had I not bought some big SA X-Men books recently. Best of luck with the sale, and shipping if you have to send to MCS.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
Sweet book. And so very, very tempting. Good luck with the sale no matter where you sell it.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
GLWTS.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Most recent GPA listing, May 19 for an x men 2 in 7.0 sold for......4,975 almost 2k over my asking price
Post 25 IP   flag post
Decided to bump this a final time...before sending to MCS. Opening asking price there will be 4.5 k. Most recent sale in 7.0 GPA was 4975 and in 7.5 4800.
My ask is 3 k here, with a five percent members discount or 2850 to an established board member, thanks
Post 26 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
MCS will list that at a 5.5. Don't do it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
MCS will list that at a 5.5. Don't do it.

Funny, but quite likely true or close to true in my experience. Getting the 3rd party verification from MCS that it's clean of restoration will make it a lot easier for someone to pull the trigger on though.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Yeah, precisely why I had left it over here and was allowing for a lower price than the current market. If I move it to MCS I will likely slab and press it to maximize my return and go for high end market price.

I doubt it has had anything restored or altered having owned the book for almost forty years. That being said, anything is possible, albeit it unlikely. Before I purchased the book, the price was low enough it would not have been as likely a target although I do agree that there are alot of silver books it looks like someone went marker happy with despite the price or book.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@Darkseid_of_town It's quite a quandary. By sending to CBCS or CGC first you definitely maximize your selling price and have more flexibility in where you sell the book. However that's going to take extra time. If you send straight to MCS you can have it up for sale in 2 weeks with a clean bill of health but they are going to put a grade on it that might limit the price and also it's going to be offered to a limited audience. I'm thinking if it were mine I would probably bite the bullet and front the money to have it quick-graded by CBCS (or CGC) and then offer it on Ebay and the forums simultaneously before sending to MCS. It's more valuable than any book I've ever sold. With a book of this value I think it's worth it to buy yourself some options.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601524 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?