Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Question about Grading comics that were never opened.14619

Collector Nemlack private msg quote post Address this user
I have a number of comics that I purchased back in the 80s in person from the Comic Book store the day they were released and immediately bagged and boarded without every being opened (These titles include ASM #300, Punisher #1, Web of Spiderman #1 etc.) Considering that these comics were bagged and boarded the day there were bought without ever being opened, I'm hoping that when I submit them for grading that there will be a good chance that they could receive a grading of 10.0.

My question is does every comic that gets graded get opened and touched by the graders? If so could the process of the grader simply opening and touching the comic book possibly bump the grade down from a perfect 10.0? Is there a way for me to leave a note to the grader that the particular comic book has never been opened and if so would the graders take that into consideration when they handle the book?

Thank you.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Nemlack The short answer is no, and the books were already touched. They went through several steps from publisher to you before they got into boards and bags. The possibility of 10.0 is still extremely limited.
Post 2 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
No offense, but a more realistic expectation might be a 9.8. Regardless, a note is pointless. In theory the people touching your comics are professionals. If you don't trust them then don't send it in.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Nemlack yep..every book gets opened to ensure all pages, no cut outs etc. Even though you bought them and bagged them it is still unlikely they would get 10.0
They were printed, packed, shipped, unpacked, put out for sale, others riffled through them, then you bought them...all of which means unlikely to get a 10.0...not to mention the paper stock back then etc. etc.

oh..you've stored them too...were they stacked, even upright in a box if it is was too full or not full enough could cause warps or stacking roll, were the bags changed out? old bags could cause cover gloss to deteriorate..sooooo many things to take a book to 9.8 or 9.6 or lower even if never opened by you

this is a decent free tool to use for examples of many (not all) defects and how they affect grades

https://www.comicbookgradingtool.com/
Post 4 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Nemlack - graders will open and inspect every page. It is part of the grading process. I have literally sent in thousands of comics to CBCS and don’t feel that they have damaged or degraded any of them.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Don’t forget defects in the book before you touched it. I’ve bought books with missing pages or huge tears, only to take them back and exchange for “proper” new books. Anything could be wrong with those books you never read.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector ProdigalSon private msg quote post Address this user
I've sent in brand new books days after purchasing them, and gotten as low as a 9.2 on some of them.. there are too many factors. I have my old collection at my dad's house, and when I go visit, I sometimes look through them. MANY of them I bought new, bagged and boarded, and put away. Those same copies I thought were perfect have dings and even breaks in color along the spines of several.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
@Nemlack Hey Nem, totally valid question. I thought along these lines until I walked into my local comic shop on a Wednesday (when the new comics come in) and saw the kid who volunteers at the shop bagging and boarding those books. He's a nice kid, but he wasn't the most careful in regards to his job and the shop owner was asleep at the wheel. I'd be shocked if any of those books made it to 9.8. Probably all solid 9.6s.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Nemlack Welcome aboard. A lot of good advice here. I want to mention that an Amazing Spiderman 300 even in a 9.4 is worth over $1000. So I would be really happy to have had them stored away all this time. Even though they may look perfect, you may want to consider a press with them too. A 9.8 has a fair market value of about $6000.
Post 9 IP   flag post

Here is a screenshot from Gocollect. Thought you might like to see how a small difference in grade can effect the value.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Lots of good advice here. The simple truth is that very, very few comics come off the press as viable candidates for a grade of 10.

If you've cared for your books as well as you say, you likely have a good shot at some 9.8s, but chances are you won't get higher than that.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you so much for sales info on ASM #300! I have not had any luck looking up the current value of comics online. I guess GoCollect would be my best bet for valuating my collection?

So I actually have 5 copies of ASM #300! When I bought them as a kid at the comic book store I bought one to read and 4 more which I just bagged and boarded and didn't touch!

So even with my copies that were not touched, I guess it's still a good ideal to get them pressed? especially at this high value! I wasn't considering getting my comics pressed due to the 12 month wait time, but for my ASM #300 copies I guess I will send them in a separate order and get them pressed.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Gocollect has been slow to update. Sometimes months behind and with the latest speculation buys the values can be really far off.

My suggestion is to use ebay confirmed sales for the best guess on value. Or if you have a few bucks to spend gpanalysis I believe is having better luck keeping up with recent sales.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Nemlack You're smarter than I am. Kick myself frequently for only buying one copy of ASM 300. Just glad it came back 9.8.

Obviously I haven't seen your books, but even so would definitely recommend getting them pressed. It couldn't hurt.
Post 14 IP   flag post

So I'm trying to use the Population Report to find out how many ASM #300s have been graded by CBCS, but I'm not getting any results at all! I've tried various versions of the title (Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man, etc.) Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong that I'm not getting any results?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Ploppy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemlack

So I'm trying to use the Population Report to find out how many ASM #300s have been graded by CBCS, but I'm not getting any results at all! I've tried various versions of the title (Amazing Spider-Man, The Amazing Spider-Man, etc.) Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong that I'm not getting any results?

Maybe you need to misspell it Spiderman like CBCS did before? lol
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Chances are that books bagged and boarded by your local comic shop avoided the wear and tear they might experience on the shelves but they are so fragile that any number of things can happen before and even after they were bagged and boarded.

From what I understand the graders wouldn't see the note as they are not supposed to be playing favorites they should not know where the books came from in order to graded them objectively.

You might get the occasional 9.9 but you really shouldn't hold your breath as they are rare.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Nemlack For some reason, the title field for Amazing Spider-Man auto-populates with an extra space between Amazing and Spider-Man. You have to go and manually delete the extra space to get it to come up:

Post 18 IP   flag post
Thank you CatCovers, yes that worked! I see the Population Report is a little flakey, the Title field does have a number of mistakes in it.

Thanks again!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like you did all the right steps to keep your books in 9.8 condition. Getting a 9.9 or 10 back (from CGC or CBCS) is like Charlie Bucket getting a golden ticket, it's possible, but very unlikely.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
This is probably the best place for advice so you're headed on the right direction.

This the way
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Gocollect has been slow to update. Sometimes months behind and with the latest speculation buys the values can be really far off.

My suggestion is to use ebay confirmed sales for the best guess on value. Or if you have a few bucks to spend gpanalysis I believe is having better luck keeping up with recent sales.
I must agree with you, but I wanted our OP to get a rough idea of what he is dealing with.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thank you so much for sales info on ASM #300! I have not had any luck looking up the current value of comics online. I guess GoCollect would be my best bet for valuating my collection?

So I actually have 5 copies of ASM #300! When I bought them as a kid at the comic book store I bought one to read and 4 more which I just bagged and boarded and didn't touch!

So even with my copies that were not touched, I guess it's still a good ideal to get them pressed? especially at this high value! I wasn't considering getting my comics pressed due to the 12 month wait time, but for my ASM #300 copies I guess I will send them in a separate order and get them pressed.
yes get them pressed. Poly bagged books get a nice “crease” from seam that runs top to bottom on the bag. The crease alone with keep it under 9.8.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You got some hi-res scans of each book you can show?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

You got some hi-res scans of each book you can show?

I still have to get my comic boxes out of my locker (where they have been for the last 20 years or so) and then catalogue my collection. When I do that I'll take some high res scans of my biggest keys including my copies of ASM #300.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Quote:

yes get them pressed. Poly bagged books get a nice “crease” from seam that runs top to bottom on the bag. The crease alone with keep it under 9.8.
ASM 300 wasn't polybagged.
Post 26 IP   flag post
601366 26 26
This topic is archived. Start new topic?