Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSP

Video: 5 Ways CBCS is BETTER Than CGC14594

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
...And to clarify, I don’t hate CGC, I just use CBCS because it suits my needs better.

Good. "Hate is useless."

Agreed. I might prefer Coke over Pepsi, but having an emotional reaction to Pepsi?

No, thanks.

Like I said, If CGC ended up $20 cheaper than CBCS, then guess where I’m going.

It’s like DC vs Marvel talk.

I grew up Marvel, but I love a lot of DC books and properties.

Good comics are good comics regardless of publisher.
Post 176 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppy

I think the problem with this is that most real collectors don't need or want their books slabbed.

my issue is that books I bought for under $50 or $100, 20+ years ago are now potentially $1,$2 up to $5k books now.
I need to slab to 1)protect and 2) get insurance!!
Not to mention some I have 2 or 3 of or just don't care about so want to sell

man...I remember when I could count on one or two hands the books I owned worth over $100...now books between $500 and $1500 are common place...it's the books over $2k now that I have very few of - never dreamed about books worth that much back in the day
Post 177 IP   flag post
@mediaslave

We may be talking around each other...

I agree with you.I was just sharing what drove me to CBCS and how I avoided the long waits you described.

Had I experienced that, I’m sure my opinion would be different.

I get your point, though.
Post 178 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
Quote:

I think the problem with this is that most real collectors don't need or want their books slabbed.

my issue is that books I bought for under $50 or $100, 20+ years ago are now potentially $1,$2 up to $5k books now.
I need to slab to 1)protect and 2) get insurance!!
Not to mention some I have 2 or 3 of or just don't care about so want to sell

man...I remember when I could count on one or two hands the books I owned worth over $100...now books between $500 and $1500 are common place...it's the books over $2k now that I have very few of - never dreamed about books worth that much back in the day

I remember being shocked at my first comic to break the $100 barrier.
I never expected to break $1k.

Crazy times!
Post 179 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@mediaslave I'm sure CGC will right the ship eventually , they have to if they want to keep going. At what point however does management not step in and say "Let's not do nay more private events and catch up?" The bitter taste from this will linger a long while before I reconsider my position.

As far as CBCS TAT's go, I landed here right after it was a bad as it got. Daryll got me right in for a fast press and I received my books back in about 2 months .
Post 180 IP   flag post

PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCapraAegagrus
Quote:
...And to clarify, I don’t hate CGC, I just use CBCS because it suits my needs better.

Good. "Hate is useless."

Agreed. I might prefer Coke over Pepsi, but having an emotional reaction to Pepsi?

No, thanks.

Like I said, If CGC ended up $20 cheaper than CBCS, then guess where I’m going.

It’s like DC vs Marvel talk.

I grew up Marvel, but I love a lot of DC books and properties.

Good comics are good comics regardless of publisher.

I like CGC, CBCS, DC, Marvel, and Coca-Cola. Pepsi is way too sweet for me. Screw that. :P
Post 181 IP   flag post
Collector Ploppy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I need to slab to 1)protect...

That's what the slab companies want you to believe. A Fullback and Mylite2 are all you need. The insurance part makes sense though.
Post 182 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie I'm with you, I get exactly what I want out of Cbcs and their service.
Post 183 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I hammer CGC not because of TATs.
I hammer them because <real data>:

CBCS: ~100 submissions - 1 questionable grade, 0 label mistakes, 0 misc. mistakes, 0 broken slabs
CGC: ~100 submissions - 8 questionable grades, 4 label mistakes, 1 debris mistake, 3 broken slabs.

"Opinions are like @ssholes; we all have one. All others bring data"
Post 184 IP   flag post
cbcs could absolutely screw up one of my orders and I would be lying like a rug if I said they would never. Everything in my experience so far has been great. I'm not going to complain about a great service.
Post 185 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's what the slab companies want you to believe. A Fullback and Mylite2 are all you need. The insurance part makes sense though.

There are collectors who don't bother with third party grading.
I was once like them.

But being married if anything happens to me and my wife gets tired of my books taking up space.
Having certain books already third party graded ready for sale.

She has zero knowledge about comics and zero interest so makes perfect sense 👍
Post 186 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was once like them.

But being married if anything happens to me and my wife gets tired of my books taking up space.

especially the price differences between 9.2/4/6 and crazy 9.8

Plan this year is to get at least some books insured...maybe $500 or $1k and above?
Post 187 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was once like them.

especially the price differences between 9.2/4/6 and crazy 9.8

Plan this year is to get at least some books insured...maybe $500 or $1k and above?

And keep receipts of the books you buy just in case the tax man comes around.

Maybe it was the collector in me.
When I bought books off metro, comic link, heritage ect. I kept the receipt with the books.
Dumb luck that I did 👍
Post 188 IP   flag post
Collector mediaslave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I hammer CGC not because of TATs.
I hammer them because <real data>:

CBCS: ~100 submissions - 1 questionable grade, 0 label mistakes, 0 misc. mistakes, 0 broken slabs
CGC: ~100 submissions - 8 questionable grades, 4 label mistakes, 1 debris mistake, 3 broken slabs.

Me too! *high five*

CBCS: ~4 submissions - 3 questionable grade, 0 label mistakes, 1 ruined book, .5 broken slabs (small crack)
CGC: ~4 submissions - 1 questionable grade (too strict actually), 2 label mistakes (fixed free), 0 debris mistake, 3 broken slabs.

I feel like the broken slabs are a shipping thing though, and just bad luck. Either way they fix them so thats cool.

But some of my CBCS slabs were open on the side, so that was weird. And they ruined a book, and badly messed up grading another.

Every company makes mistakes.
Post 189 IP   flag post
PLOD theCapraAegagrus private msg quote post Address this user
If you haven't made mistakes bagging and boarding your own comics, then you're a liar.
Post 190 IP   flag post
@southerncross

I hear you on making things easier for the wife and kids.

Plus, it just looks more official slabbed. I hope my kids think, “hey this was preserved for a reason and I shouldn’t sell it for a pack of smokes.”

Or something like that...
Post 191 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Every company does indeed make mistakes.
However, it's about probabilities.

For me, it was 1% CBCS; 16% CGC over the course of about 1.5 years.
Probabilities and likelihoods, based on data, drive my decisions.
Not emotions or what happened most recent in memory.
Post 192 IP   flag post
Collector Ploppy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave

But some of my CBCS slabs were open on the side, so that was weird.

FYI if you ever see CGC slabs from the first 15 years with an opening on the side it's perfectly normal. It does NOT indicate that someone tampered with your books.
Post 193 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaslave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicninja0215
I just want my books slabbed in a reasonable amount of tim

Perhaps the funniest thing about comments like this (not just yours Ninja) is how everyone casually dismisses CBCS having TATs of 9-11 MONTHS when they were moving, and you all STILL SUPPORTED THEM.

CGC gets absolutely hammered with submissions, TATs extend to 3-5 months, and everyone goes crazy and rips them apart.

I'm sure that when CGC gets TAT's down to 8 weeks people will casually dismiss the fact that they were once higher. And if CBCS goes to 25 weeks, nobody is going to care that they were once at 8 weeks. I don't see how being concerned with the present is somehow inconsistent with dismissing the past. If it's true that consumers look for Price, Quality and Speed... then in todays volatile market speed is more important than it ever was in the past. I've never actually considered paying for a Fast Pass option before this year.
Post 194 IP   flag post
My CBCS books haven't hit pressing yet and i feel I'll get them back before my CGC ones.
Post 195 IP   flag post
597890 195 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?