Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSP

Video: 5 Ways CBCS is BETTER Than CGC14594

I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry if someone already posted this, but a guy with a YouTube channel called "Mint Hunter Comics" gave his reasons why CBCS is BETTER than CGC

I added two more in the comments section from a Canadian perspective.

https://youtu.be/wE4sxuvRRSA
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Unfortunately he doesn't follow his own reasons and switch. He's too focused on the idea CBCS slabs sell for less. While in some cases that's true, you also have a higher cost for grading. If it's a modern book that can make a difference. If it cost me less to grade and I don't get charged reject fees for prescreening I think the profit on selling won't be that much different. I think in older books people won't care who graded it and will pay the same for CBCS.

Personally when buying books I love the idiotic notion CBCS are worth less. I can get a book that I know is graded better, does't have newton rings, has free grader notes and it cost less!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector RonMob private msg quote post Address this user
Good video. CBCS lacking in customer service and follow up is the huge negative. Hope they correct that perception soon.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I love when an individual presents facts instead of the "I just like this better because I do".
Although he did kinda regress towards the end of the video with just "opinions" toward the end.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Ploppy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarak
has free grader notes...

To be fair CGC gives free grader notes to whoever submits the book.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Belarak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belarak
has free grader notes...

To be fair CGC gives free grader notes to whoever submits the book.

True If you submitted the book, you can go online and read the notes.

With CBCS if you have a QR code reader on your phone you can read the notes anywhere you have cell service.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I had heard, not that long ago, that one cannot list the CGC grader notes on any online sales description. I know this Youtuber did not mention that in his video, but if true, that'd be another rub on the topic.

It seems those CGC grader notes are like some mystical entity that one needs a few keys and a special spell to unlock for others to get. I just don't get it; never have. Paying for the notes is one thing; not being able to list graders notes in an ebay listing is an additional "huh" moment in life.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
It seems those CGC grader notes are like some mystical entity that one needs a few keys and a special spell to unlock for others to get. I just don't get it; never have.

I'm guessing one of two things.... CGC doesn't want to tip their hand and "expose" their formula on how they grade comics. Making people pay for it is a deterrent.

Or....

They know they whip these books through their grading service quickly, and the grader's notes are inconsistent between similar grades

(Just MY conspiracy theory)
Post 8 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
Quote:
It seems those CGC grader notes are like some mystical entity that one needs a few keys and a special spell to unlock for others to get. I just don't get it; never have.

I'm guessing one of two things.... CGC doesn't want to tip their hand and "expose" their formula on how they grade comics. Making people pay for it is a deterrent.

Or....

They know they whip these books through their grading service quickly, and the grader's notes are inconsistent between similar grades

(Just MY conspiracy theory)

I think it's a little more innocent than this. I think it's about monetizing a desirable feature. They recognize people want these notes so they can decide if a CPR is possible. I don't agree with it but its probably more about revenue streams.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayC
Quote:

CGC gave out grading notes for free to anyone who wanted them for 16 years, so I'm going to say No on this one.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
He should probably add that CBCS's TAT are constant and don't fluctuate because CGC keeps stacking orders and pilling on in house signings that are cause chaos for regular collectors that just want books graded.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicninja0215
He should probably add that CBCS's TAT are constant and don't fluctuate because CGC keeps stacking orders and pilling on in house signings that are cause chaos for regular collectors that just want books graded.

That is certainly not true. CBCS’ turnaround times can vary significantly. They have been fairly stable for the last few months but I’m sure once we start seeing conventions again and there is more variance in submissions we’ll see more turnaround time fluctuation.

And CBCS also isn’t innocent with signings. Though I haven’t seen a new one pop up in a bit, CBCS’ mail-in signings could definitely be improved in turnaround time and communication with customers.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:

That is certainly not true. CBCS’ turnaround times can vary significantly. They have been fairly stable for the last few months but I’m sure once we start seeing conventions again and there is more variance in submissions we’ll see more turnaround time fluctuation.

And CBCS also isn’t innocent with signings. Though I haven’t seen a new one pop up in a bit, CBCS’ mail-in signings could definitely be improved in turnaround time and communication with customers.

I have never used CBCs for a mail in signing so in that regard, I can't really say much. However, across the street they are adding a new one each month. This is pushing back turnarounds for regular subs. I don't know about you but I shouldn't have to wait 5 months just for books to go into pressing. Their turnarounds change almost all the time, I haven't seen ours change at all, just my two cents.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve never used CBCS’ mail-in signings either but you see plenty of people begging for updates on signings from months ago.

Five months to go into pressing does sound like a lot but not that much more than CBCS’ three. Thankfully CBCS was able to crawl out of the 11 month turnaround time they had for pressing not that long ago
Post 14 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Indeed. I do know there was a lot of trouble concerning turnarounds , Glad they got that worked out for the better.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I’ve never used CBCS’ mail-in signings either but you see plenty of people begging for updates on signings from months ago.

Five months to go into pressing does sound like a lot but not that much more than CBCS’ three. Thankfully CBCS was able to crawl out of the 11 month turnaround time they had for pressing not that long ago

This is a helpful bit of info.

I’d heard 2 months and my books were dropped off at end of February. Plus, I have a VSP in there, too.

I was starting to wonder when I can start getting stoked about getting them back.

Thanks!
Post 16 IP   flag post
I press screened mine with fast press added if they pass. Fingers crossed for good news!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector monjoody private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I've found that messaging them on the CBCS Main In Signings FB Group gets incredibly quick responses.

I've done CBCS's singing things twice. The first one was a doozy, that involved 6 different artists, at least two of them were out of country. I mailed my comics in the middle of July, and got them at the end of November. For me, they had to go to Italy and back. From what I read too, a couple of the US-based artists were completely swamped with things as well, so they didn't get to the signings as quickly as they would've liked.

The second one (Cates, Stegman) was much quicker. I sent the comics in mid-January, and got them back about 2mo later.

If there's any advice I can impart, it's to separate artists onto separate invoices unless you're okay with waiting for everything to be complete before they're sent in. You have no choice on something that has two sigs (my King in Black #1 got both signatures), but that helps. It seems that once they arrive at CBCS, they move through the system fairly quickly.
Post 18 IP   flag post
On that topic - anyone send anything in for Dell'Otto?
My Dashboard is still in billing since I sent the books in quite some time ago. (end December)
Post 19 IP   flag post
This is going to sound incredibly dumb especially since I'm asking it here . I know there are a lot of you folks who dabble in both companies and I wanted to know how company across the way utilizes turnaround times? For example; the current tat for ccs is 142 days
current grading time is63 days.

My question is does this reflect of the submission that was received in february?? or does this apply to all submissions??
Any insight would be appreciated

The forum mascot 👍

P.S I should probably note that I submitted three books received in February do the current times reflect on that order.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
CGC vs CBCS
I know CGC has built some customer loyalty and some people only want CGC in their collection. I liken these to the people who only bought domestic cars in the 70's and 80's despite being verifiably inferior products. Remember when the catch line was "Have you driven a Ford lately?" I swear they pulled it after years and years of constant recalls.

Anyway...I'll give you that CGC was first to market and has brand loyalty because of that. No one can say the grading is inferior with the founder of CBCS being the original head grader at CGC - so then that leaves the slab...clear or with blue tinge is a matter of preference (blue is from more UV protection I think?... but really 99% of the time my books are in a box so who needs it!), CGC has had and continues to have major issues with newton rings, books sliding in the well, quality control from shipping (just watch a video where CGC loyalist went off on all the cracked slabs and insane packaging - surprised the people who packed the one box are allowed out of the care facility they must have come from)..so I would say CBCS has a better product. Now prices.....sure for now..CGC has a lead....but there are new collectors driving the hell out of the market and a grade is a grade to them and in my limited experience selling I've gotten what I wanted....and I'm 100% sure for gold and silver those collectors know CBCS was birthed from CGC so sales gap will close
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

My question is does this reflect of the submission that was received in february?? or does this apply to all submissions??

All submissions.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Great, I'm not going to see those books til next year.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Great, I'm not going to see those books til next year.

Yes, if you did Economy on both you will not see your books until 2022.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Ploppy modern
Post 25 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
CGC recent notes to me are somewhat worthless. **Unless you are selling the book.**
On my two hulk 181 books the notes suggest a press could increase the books grade. However, they just pressed it.

Edit.

Unless they are saying they are incompetent, the notes seem disingenuous.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
CGC recent notes to me are somewhat worthless. **Unless you are selling the book.**
On my two hulk 181 books the notes suggest a press could increase the books grade. However, they just pressed it.

how do you even see the notes?
I'm a free member so maybe I can't see them? I had 2 Steranko signed books from a mail in event last year and even though I paid for pressing it sure looks like they could use a second press!
Post 27 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
In your submission page, do you see the red? If you click the red numbers it yields the book and notes

Post 28 IP   flag post
@Bronte nah...nothing shows....must be because I only have the free membership ...i think there are other flaws keeping them from grading higher but once CBCS has magazine and they run a discount to change out of CGC then they are going in!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
There may be no notes available. I know my 9.2 Spider-man 194 yielded nothing. I was so surprised I emailed and they confirmed that there were no notes....
Post 30 IP   flag post
601525 195 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?