Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Superman Keys Checklist?14592

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
So, I’ve been a Silver Age collector for years. Mostly Marvel & Dell Universal Monster or Movie/TV books.

But the character that started my interest in comics was Superman. And I’ve been thinking of rekindling what sparked my interest.

Action Comics 252 is high on my list, but I’d love a short list of the other Gold & Silver keys I should look for. My knowledge on vintage Superman books is extremely limited compared to what I know of Marvel.

Any input would be appreciated.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
GoCollect.com paid membership has a pretty cool feature. You click "Comics" then "Key Comics" and it has a list of each series. The original Superman series shows 18 Key comics. After #100 they are:

109, 127, 140, 147, 199, 233

Action Comics listed "Keys" after 252 are:

253, 254, 255, 263, 275, 340, 471
Post 2 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia Thank you!

I have a GoCollect membership, but was unaware of that feature.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
@EbayMafia Thank you!

I have a GoCollect membership, but was unaware of that feature.

Then your membership hopefully just got a whole lot more valuable. I had actually forgotten about that feature myself until your post reminded me.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia Absolutely. 👍🏼

Thanks again.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a link I've been using for years. It's a pretty comprehensive list but certainly not complete. It's a list of alot of characters 1st appearances. Try to corroborate the book though. Don't take it at face value.

clickable text
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Superman 123 - Supergirl tryout. Predates Action 252
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@00slim - Lots of keys missing on the Go Collect list for both titles. For example, Action #276 (several first appearances of LSH) and #512 (1st Vixen).
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector obrie2tm private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo Great additions! completely agree on both and 512 is particularly undervalued right now I feel. Tough book to get in high grade due to that black cover.

I'll chip in Action #242 (First Brainiac), Action Comics #42 (First Vigilante)
Post 9 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I know that it has become popular to bash on Overstreet, but things like this are where the OPG really comes in handy.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
I know that is become popular to bash on Overstreet, but things like this are where the OPG really comes in handy.

Agreed!! OPG is still a great resource!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 exactly, a lot of information and data has been collected over the decades of their publishing.
Post 12 IP   flag post
601286 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?