Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededMovies TelevisionPop CultureQuestions

Potential grade... Iron Man Security Measures?14591

Collector BuffJake09 private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all,

I've located a copy of the 2008 Walmart exclusive issue of Iron Man Scurity Measures which directly ties into the inaugural MCU film. The comic is notable for being the first apperance of Phil Coulson who was created originally for the cinematic universe. The issue was originally packaged in deluxe 2 disc editions of the Iron Man film and sold through Walmart as an exclusive promotion. The exact print run on these issues has never been confirmed but they seldom pop up for sale and when they do, condition is an extreme factor when determining if the issue sells and the price runs fairly high.

The copy that I've found is in very nice shape at first glance and although the photos provided are limited, I think this may be a candidate for sending in to get graded. I'm fairly new to the whole grading process but from what I understand a 9.8 is the coveted grade for modern issues especially those published during the 21st century. I would aim for that grade here but in being realistic I would also be happy with a 9.6, 9.4 or even a 9.2 knowing just how tough it is to find a copy of this book, let alone in good condition!

Any and all opinions are welcome and appreciated!

Jake

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
Nice find! I’m not sure from the pictures if there is a bit of ink transfer on the bottom left of the back cover. If so, probably not a 9.8 but could still be a high grade as the rest of the book looks really good. Definitely worth pressing and grading, I’d say.

Good luck!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977
Nice find! I’m not sure from the pictures if there is a bit of ink transfer on the bottom left of the back cover. If so, probably not a 9.8 but could still be a high grade as the rest of the book looks really good. Definitely worth pressing and grading, I’d say.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! The comic really is awesome. It has a lot of great aspects to it! That blemish on the bottom left is the only flaw I can see with my eyes but I'm concerned as to how much it would affect the grade and if the comic would be worth grading? Does CBCS have an option for any sort of an in house press when you send books in? Also, is there any risk of damage to pressing a modern book?

Thanks again!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Also, how does CBCS treat or regard any sort of ink transfers on a book? Would that be a major ding?
Post 4 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffJake09
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawguy1977

Good luck!

Thanks so much! The comic really is awesome. It has a lot of great aspects to it! That blemish on the bottom left is the only flaw I can see with my eyes but I'm concerned as to how much it would affect the grade and if the comic would be worth grading? Does CBCS have an option for any sort of an in house press when you send books in? Also, is there any risk of damage to pressing a modern book?

Thanks again!

CBCS does offer in house press/dry clean and have given my books fantastic results.
The ink transfer defect will not be fixable, as far as how much it affects grade, I can only guess.
I’m guessing at least a 9.2 from what I see in pics on my phone.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I went ahead and purchased the book, it will be a birthday present for my brother who is a huge Agents of Shield and Phil Coulson fan... my next step will be sending it off to be graded once it arrives. I'd like to know if anyone can share what the rough estimates that I should expect as far as a timeframe currently?

Thanks in advance!
Post 6 IP   flag post
600820 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?