Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeQuestions

Which would you choose??14586

Collector jaysonslade private msg quote post Address this user
Trying to find out if, by and large, does the page whiteness level make enough difference (with issue and price being equal) to drop a grade in order to obtain whiter pages?

Three hypothetical questions:

First question, if choosing between two higher grade Bronze Age key slabs of the same issue that are priced at the same amount (say $1500), would you choose an "8.0 white" or an "8.5 off white"?

Second question, if choosing between two higher grade Copper Age key slabs of the same issue that are priced at the same amount (say $500), would you choose an "9.4 white" or an "9.6 off white"?

Third question, if choosing between two higher grade Modern Age key slabs of the same issue that are priced at the same amount (say $100), would you choose a "9.6 white" or an "9.8 off white"?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Higher grade on all 3 questions. Higher grade, a higher value. It's all about the grade, right???
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector pkpickard private msg quote post Address this user
I'm no expert, but for me it's always grade over page quality. The only instance I might deviate from that would be if the higher grade had cream or tan pages, since those seem to be an impediment to resale. But between white and off-white? I'd take the higher grade.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I always think of these questions in 2 ways. As a collector and as a seller.

As a collector, page color is the least offensive "defect" (if you will) by far. It's barely a blip on my radar (unless we're talking extremes in the page color).

As a seller: I dunno. It seems folks gravitate toward the numerical grade regardless of accuracy in grading or page color. I'm sure they're are many exceptions though

For the life of me I've never understood why page color is the one and only defect listed on the label (I assume page color figures into the number grade in some way? - never get a firm answer on that - but I digress). If anything less than white is a defect, why not state it in the graders notes?

Too late for that I suppose as the dynamic has already been established and folks would go nuts if it was changed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Page quality is mercurial. I have had three different page qualities and three different grades on the same book over three different submissions. The grade went up, down, and up again like a rollercoaster.

I don't really pay attention to page quality unless it drops below off white. Below off white usually impacts the grade.
Post 5 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I would take the higher grade on all of those options. To me, I make no real distinction between white and off white. Personally, I'm actually ok with cream too.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Never bought a graded book with white pages, not something I cared about, or looked for, I would buy the higher grade, every time.
I have a number of keys (Hulk 181 3.0 for instance) with white pages.
I don’t know if I can expect any premium for a rag with a marked up cover with white pages inside, just seems wrong.
I would take a 4.0 price gladly though when I sell, should the theory work.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
For me it's whichever looks better regardless of page quality (off-white or white).
Post 8 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
I have seen some white pages 9.2's for sale that look better in the slabs than the 9.4 or 9.6's OW, just depends on eye appeal for me. I recently viewed a 9.2 white pages comic and the cover had more deeper/vibrant cover colors than the 9.4 & above. It's NOT about the grade for me, because grading is subjective, even the so called PRO'S don't get it right IMO.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Higher grade for me, almost always. I saw almost because occasionally there are certain covers with a LOT of white where white pages really make the difference.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
More info needed. For my PC, i would likely choose CBCS white page over a higher graded cgc Ow/W.

If same certification company, the Bronze i probably go with the higher grade unless it was a higher quality paper as was used in Marvel Fanfare. Cause if a premium paper was used, why then is the paper deteriorating.

Copper is a toss up for me, bit i would choose the higher grade for the same reason as Bronze.

For modern, i would likely go for the lower grade with white paper because again why would that paper be turning?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Comics deteriorate over time (it's going to happen), what is considered white pages today may easily be OW in the next few years, even the slabbed copies labeled WHITE pages will change. Accept it.
Post 12 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
For me higher grade. However, I had a white pages book I was able to sell at a premium because of the white pages. It was a silver age book though.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Lost my OWL card long ago..I wonder if it's in the pages of an old pricing guide??

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
the price difference between a 9.4 and a 9.8 can be very large (100-1000%?). the difference between WHITE and OFF-WHITE is slight (10%?). higher grade wins
Post 15 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
At 9.8 vs 9.6 for Moderns there's no question because the price difference is always so great. However if you went to 9.2 vs 9.0, I would take the 9.0 White Pages in a Modern over a 9.2 OW/W. I would also take it in a copper or bronze. That's probably the only example I can think of. But I'm also allergic to 9.2 and wish it didn't exist. For books older than Modern, I don't think there's any example where going 1 step up in page quality is worth going 1 step down in grade...until you get close to Brittle.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Off-White/White is fine. Off-White is ok for Silver & older.

For the Modern, I’d go with the 9.8.

I lean towards White pages if possible & would make a .2 to .5 hit for White pages in some cases.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm ok with offwhite or higher, so the higher graded book wins provided that it looks like the grade given
Post 18 IP   flag post
597922 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?