Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCertified Comics For SaleFor SaleQuestions

Sales slowdown or anomoly?14567

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I usually post my weekly non-auction sales in a different thread so fellow forum members can get a gauge of what sales are occurring at MCS since those sales aren’t as easily tracked. This week i am diverging as there was a substantial drop in the quantity of sales this past week as I had been seeing an average of about 2doz per week.

Anomaly or market cooling down?

Here is this past weeks sales:

Bloodshot (1993 1st Series) 1 CBCS 9.4 Sold for $36.00

Eternal Warrior (1992) 1 CBCS 9.6 Sold for $39.99

Spider-Man (1990) 16 CBCS 9.8
Direct Edition. Sold for $60.00,

Wildcats Covert Action Teams (1992) 1A CBCS 9.8
Direct Edition. Sold for $73.99/$85.00 on eBay

Wildcats Covert Action Teams (1992) 1A CBCS 9.8
Direct Edition. Sold for $73.99

X-Factor (1986 1st Series) Reprint 71 CBCS 9.8
Second Printing. Sold for $77.70

X-Men (1991 1st Series) 1D CBCS 9.8
Cover D. Sold for $101.00

X-Men (1991 1st Series) 1E CBCS 9.8
Cover E. Sold for $86.00

X-Men (1991 1st Series) 6 CBCS 9.8
Direct Edition. Sold for $80.00

Star Wars Tales of the Jedi Dark Lords of the Sith #1-6 x 9.8 CBCS, Sold for $530 on ebay not an MCS listing.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I can only speak for myself, but with the general improvement in the U.S. with Corona and easing of restrictions, I find myself less apt to purchase comics more than ever within the last 1+ year.

In fact, my entire morning was attempting to secure Genesis tickets on Ticketmaster and looking for places to go for vacation.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Coldbobt private msg quote post Address this user
Personally I think the market needs to cool down, I can't back that up with data but there seems to be ridiculous price inflation almost across the board which is not healthy in any market...

I think a little cooling down is better for everyone long term, volitivity is never a positive thing overall.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Noting the pricing of the sales in the current Comic Link auction most people aren't hedging away from buying.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
I’m slowing down; cannot afford to keep buying at the pace i was nor are the things i really want still popping up. I keep hoping for stuff but since i bought the Superboy 23, i haven’t seen much.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 Solid move on the Genesis tickets.
Post 6 IP   flag post
@Noblebeast315 shut out... friggin ticketmaster. Nothing like selecting 4 "available" tickets, only to checkout... get the "securing your ticket purchase" and after 10 minutes then "try again"

Bastards on TM. Their site is terrible.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 Been there before. It’s the worst. I am sure you will be able to find a ticket elsewhere but it will now cost double. 🤨
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I’m seeing more gap between sold prices so you might be on to something.

I’m also wondering if there’s a backlog of graded books about to hit the market?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

I’m also wondering if there’s a backlog of graded books about to hit the market?

I wonder will we see a slow down in books getting grade as the value of books drive the grading price up..?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldbobt
Quote:

I wonder will we see a slow down in books getting grade as the value of books drive the grading price up..?

Good question.

My gut reaction says grading and preserving is more mainstream now.

It might slow down some, but I don’t expect it drop to pre 2020 levels.

Busy is probably the new normal.

It’s affecting stock trading, too. Our company had to revise its forecast of trading volume up about 200 percent.

Money and investing is cool again, it seems.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Waiting for a convention to see what's out there. I nothing gets my attention probably run fillers for now. I want to see if prices come down on certain books.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldbobt
Personally I think the market needs to cool down, I can't back that up with data but there seems to be ridiculous price inflation almost across the board which is not healthy in any market...

You'll start seeing it cool as we move deeper into the year.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
I think the bubble is starting to deflate.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
I usually post my weekly non-auction sales in a different thread so fellow forum members can get a gauge of what sales are occurring at MCS since those sales aren’t as easily tracked. This week i am diverging as there was a substantial drop in the quantity of sales this past week as I had been seeing an average of about 2doz per week.

I don't think there's a slowdown. I think in a limited inventory situation your most popular inventory sells quickest and leaves you with stuff that is slower to sale. Like box office receipts dropping each week for a new release movie.

Quote:

That could also be from jacked up prices. Could be that each seller is asking more than the last and the market can't find an equilibrium.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m finding the prices are generally leveling off. I don’t see them dropping (yet) but the people asking 2-3x market value aren’t moving their books & may be getting the hint.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I suspect that there is a combo of leveling off and of my 1,700 now 1,400 MCS listings, some of the more popular title are gone. This week seem to be picking back up.

And no, I don’t expect to sell my 9.8 SS Star Wars 1 at 24k, but will take it if it does. But the vast majority of my listings are at various ends of FMV.
Post 17 IP   flag post
In thinking this through a bit more.... there's like a Marvel movie every 2 - 3 months for the next quite some time. This is after having zero Marvel movies for an even longer quite some time.

Look at what the Disney TV shows have done to certain books.
It may very well be the case that once the new influx of movies begins hitting the screens again that we see loony prices again on certain books.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@Nuffsaid111 But see, that’s just it. A jump on key books related to a new movie or show would be a return to normalcy.

What we’ve seen, the Marvel market essentially doubling across the board, is what needs to settle down. I do think it has Plateaued in a general sense, which is good.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
In thinking this through a bit more.... there's like a Marvel movie every 2 - 3 months for the next quite some time. This is after having zero Marvel movies for an even longer quite some time.

Look at what the Disney TV shows have done to certain books.
It may very well be the case that once the new influx of movies begins hitting the screens again that we see loony prices again on certain books.

Yep.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know about slowing down.

There are some sales within just the past few days that are astounding...

Batman #423 CGC 9.8 (Todd McFarlane Sig Series) Sold for $5,200

Batman #423 CGC 9.8 Sold for $2,499

Incredible Hulk #449 CGC 9.8 Sold for $870

Batman Adventures #12 CGC 9.8 Sold for $4,551

The Crow #1 CGC 9.8 Sold for $9,609
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I’m finding the prices are generally leveling off. I don’t see them dropping (yet) but the people asking 2-3x market value aren’t moving their books & may be getting the hint.

This sounds like what I think is going to happen.

The major keys are going to be fine, but the inflated value for dreck and unproven keys will drop.

But,I am seeing Young Avengers 1 selling for $1300 pretty routinely, so what do I know?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim

This sounds like what I think is going to happen.

The major keys are going to be fine, but the inflated value for dreck and unproven keys will drop.

But,I am seeing Young Avengers 1 selling for $1300 pretty routinely, so what do I know?

A sure sign of impending cooling off to me is the ridiculous price inflation for incredibly minor keys...

When you see sellers asking £50 for the first appearance of Bloodsport or US Agent you know something has to give... I mean £50 for either of those books raw? Nah.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Coldbobt

Yeah, I agree. I tried to buy a second copy of YA 1 raw and it was $300 for that book raw.

For such a newer book that seems bananas, but there’s some news on that one.

I maintain this book will be moser equivalent of GSX 1 but the idea of flipping it for $1500 is enticing...
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
Inflated prices are partially because “9.8 sells for [xxx] so my raw 9.x should be [yyy]” even though the raw cannot be guaranteed such a high grade AND 9.8s are very rare for said book and other grades are not. In this situation for sure, prices cannot and should not be based upon slabbed 9.8s
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
There are no current Disney + shows playing. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
From what I can see the market is still red hot.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@drchaos Or maybe hot pink
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Sales seem robust still. There is a local LCS that does auctions all the time. They are only online these days. Someone had a bid in for $160 for issues 1-3 of Fantasy Masterpieces. These are the reprints to the original Silver Surfer run. This seems ridiculously high to me. A lot of the other items are overdbid on currently.
I sold 3 prints yesterday including 2 signed and numbered ones that are normally slow sellers. So I am pretty happy about that.
Post 29 IP   flag post
With today's announcement, how long until things slide south on prices? I'm gonna go with late summer or the fall.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601312 56 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?