Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Considering the new normal, what comic books are relatively undervalued?14555

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@lawguy1977

Nice! Good thinking, too.

I guess I didn’t know you collected X-Men. I’m trying to complete my Byrne/ Claremont run.

It’s going slowly.

And credit where credit is due, @Nuffsaid111 was the one who pointed that out and it was such a “duh” moment for me.

I’ve seen the disparities between 9.6 and 9.8 but never have thought about how those might all be undervalued.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector lawguy1977 private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie Thanks! Yeah, I'm primarily a Batman guy (shocking, I know), but I read a lot of Claremont's run when I was a kid, starting with the Dark Phoenix saga through his work with Jim Lee (who's my favorite artist). I wish I had started this a bit sooner, like Pre-COVID, but I'm almost done with the run, thankfully.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Jabberwookie think so too.

Many years ago I was hunting early 60s marvels in the 4.0 range as they were bargains compared to 6.0-8.0s

Now those 4.0s are pricey.
Think that's going to be the way for more recent books in the 9.4-9.6 range as they are relatively cheap compared to 9.8s

And that may not last when you look at Spidey 300 9.4s now.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
X-FACOR #s 5, 24
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Most books in the first Conan the Barbarian series seem very underpriced. Except for a few exceptions (#23 & #24, for example), you can purchase graded copies of most of the BWS run for around $100 or less in 9.0/9.2. Issues #25 and later are not even worth grading unless they are 9.8's.

Great observation!!!
Post 30 IP   flag post

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Sub-mariner 34 prequel to Defenders.
I'm a subby fan so I picked up a 9.4 ten years ago. And the price is the same today.
Here is a bronze key that has not seen any movement during the crazy times.

Maybe it is undervalued, who knows.
Is there any other bronze marvel keys that have not risen in value in the 9.4 range in the last ten years?
Post 31 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Most books in the first Conan the Barbarian series seem very underpriced. Except for a few exceptions (#23 & #24, for example), you can purchase graded copies of most of the BWS run for around $100 or less in 9.0/9.2. Issues #25 and later are not even worth grading unless they are 9.8's.

For 35+ years I have been dumbfounded by the fact that Conan #25 is at virtually nada.
It is the 1st John Buscema art Conan in series and, oh, he only drew the comic for a million more issues.
BWS is fantastic and those issues should have significant value. But Buscema isn't? C'mon comic world - show some love for Big John. He's one of the greats and a legend.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Quote:

For 35+ years I have been dumbfounded by the fact that Conan #25 is at virtually nada.
It is the 1st John Buscema art Conan in series and, oh, he only drew the comic for a million more issues.
BWS is fantastic and those issues should have significant value. But Buscema isn't? C'mon comic world - show some love for Big John. He's one of the greats and a legend.

Hear hear!

Just not enough love for big John like there should be.

However, let’s keep it that way until I complete my avengers runs with his work.

He’s a great and under appreciated artist in my book.
Post 33 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Big John drew the definitive Conan in my opinion (much like Romita Sr. did for Spidey imo). In my minds eye, when I think of Conan or Spidey it's Big John's Conan and Romita's Spidey I see. Legends!!! The both of them.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@GAC

Your comment got me thinking on my definitive Spider-Man artist.

I thought big John drew an awesome Avengers, but his Conan is THE Conan I remember seeing as a kid.

For spidey, it might be John Romita Jr. that was when I read the most.

I honestly never got into McFarlane. More style than substance for me.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

Hear hear!

However, let’s keep it that way until I complete my avengers runs with his work.

Not many artists who could so frequently turn out an iconic cover as JB. Just look at his original Surfer run.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

Anything She-Hulk other than #1

Camelot 3000 could be hot if they ever make a movie out of the 12 issue maxi-series. What an EPIC movie this would be if done right!

Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Justice League Vol. 4 #10 - 1st Jarro
Detective Comics Vol. 2, #1 - joker cuts off his face
Post 38 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
By default, any comic NOT graded at 9.8 is undervalued

No lie.

I was just thinking I might start grabbing 9.6 and 9.4s because those are going to matter soon.

I always figured that 9.6 would logically close the gap with 9.8 but I've been wrong for so long that I wonder what I'm leaving out of my thought process. @DrWatson had indicated that it's the CGC registry...having a 9.8 is a badge of honor and having a 9.6 is a relative badge of shame? It's like K-Mart Trax shoes vs. Nike when we were kids? Also with all the 9.8 grade screening, I wonder if there are stacks and stacks of 9.6 and 9.4 around waiting to get sent back in for slabbing once the price is high enough?
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Quote:

Hear hear!

Not many artists who could so frequently turn out an iconic cover as JB. Just look at his original Surfer run.

100%!!! Arguably the greatest silverage cover was by JB.

Post 40 IP   flag post
I'm kind of susceptible to influence and I've got some comic sales money burning a hole in my pocket since I just completed my largest sale ever. Since starting this thread last night I have bought:

2 slabbed copies of Fantastic Four 164
2 Raw copies of Lois Lane 105 from MCS
1 CBCS 9.8 of Sunfire and Big Hero 6 #1 (suggested by @towmater in a different thread).

I also threw in one of these because it looked so stinking cool:

Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector HairlessWookiee private msg quote post Address this user
Here are some X-Men books that I think could take off:

X-Men (vol.2):5,11,24,25,30,53
Uncanny X-Men: 143,200,256,257,268,300,304,350
Wolverine (vol.2): 10,17,24,25,27,56,145,154,155
Any of the key New Mutants issues
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector pkpickard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairlessWookiee
Here are some X-Men books that I think could take off:

X-Men (vol.2):5,11,24,25,30,53
Uncanny X-Men: 143,200,256,257,268,300,304,350
Wolverine (vol.2): 10,17,24,25,27,56,145,154,155
Any of the key New Mutants issues

I'm buying 9.8s of the early New Mutants Volume 2 issues for cheap when I can - just because Josh Middleton. The fact most have first appearances is just a bonus.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector pkpickard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I'm kind of susceptible to influence and I've got some comic sales money burning a hole in my pocket since I just completed my largest sale ever. Since starting this thread last night I have bought:

2 slabbed copies of Fantastic Four 164
2 Raw copies of Lois Lane 105 from MCS
1 CBCS 9.8 of Sunfire and Big Hero 6 #1 (suggested by @towmater in a different thread).

I also threw in one of these because it looked so stinking cool:

Love that Marvel Preview cover - and it's only going up with all things Moon Knight getting attention right now. Great grab!
Post 44 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I can’t wait to show off the Strawberry Shortcake #1 I sent in.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia welcome to the club! Here's my copy I won from a MCS auction in October:

I also picked up a DC Presents 26 at tonight's comiclink auction:

Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
DC Comics Presents #47 seemed to have really shot up in price the last year or so, but He-man and the Master's of the Universe mini-comics are still very affordable. I believe He-man and the Power Sword is He-Man and Skeletor's first appearance and can be had in rough shape for under $100. Good luck in finding something in nice shape. Plus there are about four or five variants of the book. Not a terribly expensive book, but it's fun to collect until it starts to go up in price.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
I can’t wait to show off the Strawberry Shortcake #1 I sent in.

Masculinity takes a holiday.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@EbayMafia welcome to the club! Here's my copy I won from a MCS auction in October:

@flanders I think that anybody who is anybody has one. I heard it separates the Ballers from the Crawlers.
Post 49 IP   flag post
That makes me a crawler and a nobody.
Post 50 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
I think that I'm the only one in the world who cares about this book but Rust (vol. 1) #12 is, in my opinion, undervalued.

With prices climbing on 1980s first appearances like Aliens and Predator, the first appearance of the Terminator should be worth more than it is. I've been picking these up for years thinking that, at some point, people would catch on. So far, it hasn't happened.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
I think that I'm the only one in the world who cares about this book but Rust (vol. 1) #12 is, in my opinion, undervalued.

With prices climbing on 1980s first appearances like Aliens and Predator, the first appearance of the Terminator should be worth more than it is. I've been picking these up for years thinking that, at some point, people would catch on. So far, it hasn't happened.

@DWeeB1967 Ever since joining the forum I've always imagined forming a buying club and working together with 5-10 other people to bring these type of books out of the shadows by buying up the available online inventory. Still want to do it one day.
Post 52 IP   flag post
A couple days ago someone on the forum yelled Shotgun! and that was enough to send me running to the inter-webs. Might as well get them before they're a hundred bucks each:

Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Yep, me too. I'm honestly not sure I've ever even seen that before.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

Yep, me too. I'm honestly not sure I've ever even seen that before.

Don't despair, there's still more room in the @EbayMafia @flanders Be Somebody Big Baller Club. I just got in last night.
Post 55 IP   flag post
597993 62 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?