Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Was it the Modern Age? Early to mid 90’s massively overprinted titles? Don’t remember the term before that. In the 80’s it was filler issues you know the ones you needed to complete a run of a particular title. A shop near me has an annual $1.00 book day. The whole store is cleared out and about 100 boxes are brought in at $1.00 each. Anyway I was breezing thru some boxes and came across what was maybe Supreme #8 and the copies went on and on and on. There were enough to fill a long box and I got frustrated and left. Thoughts?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector jfry20002000 private msg quote post Address this user
I'd say if you are interested pick them up, otherwise let it go. So much was printed in the 90's and has minimal value, sadly in my opinion kind of like now with the 50 variant covers. If you are only collecting for value then do a little research see if anyone was introduced in any of the series and key in on those issues. Just my 2 cents though
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Drek has been around for a long time. It’s not strictly over printed 90’s stuff. I used to comb through it at conventions and stores in the 80’s.
Interestingly enough some of it I should have bought like late run Transformers. So many copies in the bins back then for near nothing. Oh well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@Briten I did not start going to conventions until the early 90’s and by that time all the massively overprinted stuff was starting to show up that’s why I associate all that with drek. I hear ya on the Transformers better just to forget the misses and be happy with what you did get.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user
Every time I see Transformers brought up and how popular it's become, I always get that sinking feeling in my stomach. Transformers was drek for so long and it was taking up so much room in my collection (almost a complete run)I ended up giving them away. A friend of mine had a younger cousin that was wanting to start reading comics so I figured giving him all of those was my good deed. Oh well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector peterc777 private msg quote post Address this user
Probably in the late 80s to early 90s when the bubble started to grow.

Word origin from etymonline.com:
dreck (n.)
"filth, trash," by 1922, from Yiddish drek (German dreck), from Middle High German drec, from Proto-Germanic *threkka (source also of Old English þreax "rubbish," Old Frisian threkk), perhaps connected to Greek skatos "dung," Latin stercus "excrement," from PIE [Proto-Indo-European] root *(s)ker- "to cut" (see shear (v.)).
Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
gonna go with the massive proliferation of "collector issue #1" from the 90's. Seemed like there were 4 or 5 issue #1's every week back then!
Any character who was anyone had 3, 4 or more titles either just for them or them and a team - was crazy!!
Currently it's the variant covers...a billion covers with ratio or store variants all on issues with little to no story value...pretty smart from the publishers...don't even need issue #1's or to intro a new character..lets just through lots of covers at it.
Of course the events are crazy now too....who the hell knows if what you're reading is actual continuity or not anymore!
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Puckster I hear ya that’s the thing with the current market in that what current drek book will become the next superstar? The speculation game is crazy right now and there seems no end in sight.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
So my boxes of Dazzler, Spider-Woman, Nam, Excalibur and Alpha Flight are a gold mine waiting to happen?
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley YES!!..maybe?..hopefully?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I knew all those first issue collector item embossed foil sparkling covers would pay off!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Byrne's Alpha Flight run is underappreciated.

Embrace the drek!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
I have learned through the years of collecting that one man's drek is another mans treasure! Additionally, books from the nineties are still 30 years old and attract younger collectors.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Doc_Cop beat me to exactly what I was going to say.

The thing is there are at least two aspects to comic collecting; the hot books at the moment and the ones that grow into keys.

Strangely, comic collecting is kind of a backward looking exercise.

A first appearance happens and if that character sucks, like so many do at times, then it ends up in the dollar bin.

But, some hot writer takes a character in a new direction, then suddenly your dreck isn’t dreck any longer.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Sometimes drek is fun to revisit and read. You get to physically hold a comic, read the comic, and not have to worry about damaging it. It is a throwback to one's youth were you did those things!
Post 15 IP   flag post
well said @Jabberwookie! When I owned a LCS in the heart of the Drek-Age, my ex-wife asked me to bring home comics for my son's party goodie bags. So I brought home in my 1990's opinion was drek. Some kids received New Mutant 98's!!!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
@Doc_Cop

Holy cow! Wonder how many of those ended selling for a nice bundle?
Post 17 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Drek - the stuff you don’t send in for grading, or the majority of the books you still have in your long and short boxes.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie - hopefully some of them!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Drek - the stuff you don’t send in for grading, or the majority of the books you still have in your long and short boxes.

How true that is!

Out of 2k comics, maybe 100 are worth more than $20?

Maybe 200?

Thank goodness they are good for reading!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
gonna go with the massive proliferation of "collector issue #1" from the 90's. Seemed like there were 4 or 5 issue #1's every week back then!

What about the #0 issue that turned up later and the Wizard 1/2 books? Oh, the 1990's and the fun they brought to the hobby!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

What about the #0 issue that turned up later and the Wizard 1/2 books? Oh, the 1990's and the fun they brought to the hobby!

yeah baby!! I have a bunch of those!! Wizard also had those ACE Editions (Acetate Cover Edition Edtions)
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Ploppy private msg quote post Address this user
Charlton has to be involved in some way
Post 23 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppy
Charlton has to be involved in some way

Charlton is dreky goodness 👍
Post 24 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
love Charlton!!!

Post 25 IP   flag post
@GAC I had an offer on a copy a few months ago and it must not have reached the reserve.

Then the guy never relisted it
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Quote:

yeah baby!! I have a bunch of those!! Wizard also had those ACE Editions (Acetate Cover Edition Edtions)

Wizard was such a product of the time. So slick, glossy, and when they added the pricing on toys - look out.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised no one has brought up Western comics or Classics Illustrated. Maybe Treasure Chest. Not to mention the endless movie and TV show comics like Lassie and Black Stallion. I think drek has probably been around for a longer time than most people think.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
So my boxes of Dazzler, Spider-Woman, Nam, Excalibur and Alpha Flight are a gold mine waiting to happen?

@Studley_Dudley Yes, but it will happen in such small drips that you won't even realize it's happening. Who knew I'd be climbing up in the garage shelving this year for 80's Superman #4, Teen Titans Annual 2, Star Wars 50, etc, etc. Likely to keep happening.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Valiant....the literal definition of gimmicks. They seemed to start with good stories and writing and quality but then went to the inserted redemption cards, foil , die cut covers and embossed stuff, as well as the upside down book on the back half etc. I think at some point they had promised no gimmicks and next thing they were literally defining the trend
Post 30 IP   flag post
601466 31 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?