Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Can you spare a grade?14532

Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
Small tear in the front cover, upper right.

Not sure what to make of that mystery on the back cover, upper right.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
That’s a nice looking cover. The back appears like water damage to me.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Is that a tear at the bottom front cover by the letter R?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comixcited private msg quote post Address this user
also writing upper right front.... 7.0ish? 7.5 with press?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
If that is a water stain on the back corner, I would call it an awesome looking 6.0/6.5 (and I can't tell if the bottom staple has pulled through the cover, but it wouldn't matter at this grade). A really super nice-looking book, in my opinion.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Noblebeast315 I think the back cover is just in strange light with a bent corner? although there is a small stain on the bottom back... perhaps you are right
Post 6 IP   flag post
@southerncross It's a color-breaking crease.

@esaravo @comixcited It looks like water to me, but water wouldn't lighten the color of the paper would it? I'm baffled. I'll know more when I get the book in hand.

Thanks for the feedback!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
A 5.0??
Post 8 IP   flag post
if you look at the white where the light hits the spine from the side it matches that top corner nicely. this makes me think its just bent towards the light. I think the overhead light is orange/yellow hue and the side lighting will more accurately reflect the actual color. having said that I do see a light water stain (I think) on that lower right back.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like a 6.0 to me. It’s the back that brings it down.
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Depending on what that is on the back, the book can grade as high has 7.5 I'd say. If its a water stain then considerably lower...great book!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Think that one's in the 7s

Here is a pic of mine.
One grader said it was a 7 and two others said 6.5 so 6.5 it is

Post 12 IP   flag post
@MatterEaterLad it's really hard to just grade by a pic alone to get a accurate grade.
Best guess from a pic is a rough ball park figure. 👍
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
@southerncross It's a color-breaking crease.

@esaravo @comixcited It looks like water to me, but water wouldn't lighten the color of the paper would it? I'm baffled. I'll know more when I get the book in hand.

Thanks for the feedback!

Water stains can act funny sometimes. You can have a white cover that is slightly browned due to age and dirt, and the spot where water is applied will turn white while leaving a darker colored water ring along the outskirts of the affected area. The water ring is darker because the dirt wicked away from the spot where the water saturated the paper fiber. depending on the drying the dirt wicked away will settle in a dark ring and the paper fiber will have a wavy affect. I don’t know for sure that is the case here but for what it is worth this can happen. I still think it’s a nice book regardless.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
Oops...
Post 15 IP   flag post
@Noblebeast315 That makes perfect sense. Thanks. The front presents well, hopefully that will balance out the back a bit.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
It looks like a VF- (7.5). Beautiful book that will look even nicer after it's pressed.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
6.5 with that large water stain
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, if it's a water stain then it'll definitely take a hit.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Haljordanfan private msg quote post Address this user
Beautiful book either way. Solid 7.0 to me.

What color pages?
Post 20 IP   flag post
601244 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?