Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help Needed

Doing another podcast Monday 4/26 6pm CST14471

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Hope some of you can join us!
https://youtu.be/Zrw3F1C--cg

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Knock em dead Steve!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector doozerdoo1 private msg quote post Address this user
Looking Forward to it!!! Good Luck!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be sure to jump on board! Good luck Steve!
Post 4 IP   flag post
BUMP!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
*bump*

T-minus 15 minutes

My wifi was unstable earlier today. Hopefully things have smoothed out.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
The podcast just ended. Steve said the magazine slab prototypes are being looked at right now, and they could possibly be offering magazine grading by the summer!
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock loved your response about CGC charging for Graders Notes.

Not quite verbatim:... "It's like taking your vehicle to a mechanic for repairs. And when you ask the mechanic what they did, they say I have to charge you more before I can tell you."
Post 8 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@sborock - Been listening to the playback. Thanks much, Loved it. About the whole label thing, I just don't get the "aesthetically pleasing" thing. To each their own, but everyone will never agree on whether CBCS or cgc blue label is better.

Personally, I don't want a label that pulls my attention away from the comic. Doesn't need a white background for grade. No in your face fonts. Like your label as it is now.

That said, in another thread, someone mentioned photo of internal signature. Having that on the back label, I would pay for that.

Cheers & rock on.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
interesting....8 yrs ago when Steve left CGC had 15 graders...CBCS currently has 9 graders and is hiring..so call it 10?
If CGC was the only game all those years ago and had 15 graders after 12 or 13 years and CBCS is at 2/3 the staff after 6 years...I would say CBCS is growing faster than CGC was at that point in the business life...with competition! where CGC had none (although they had to grow the concept)
Post 10 IP   flag post
also...I for one think the CBCS label is just fine
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Pedigree private msg quote post Address this user
Excellent interview Steve. This is a much better interview than some of Steve's previous ones as it seems he's more open minded regarding the aesthetics of the label.

The subject comes up every time. Look I get that most of you here are fine with the labels but the truth is that the aesthetics matter to a whole lot of people out there. Personally I'm fine with it as I like the simple design but I can see why the vast majority would find the CGC label way more pleasing and attractive.

It was funny to hear how many times the little white box for the grade came up People like them. Doesn't matter how you or I feel about it. If that's what the majority of the people want then it's something that should be looked into.

I think CBCS would increase their market share dramatically with a better looking label to be honest, or even a label that looks similar to CGC so everyone will stop complaining. Clearly the label matters a whole lot to a lot of people.
Post 12 IP   flag post
shocked how many times the white behind the grade came up....I actually think it looks cheap and draws your attention from the comic
Post 13 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree
This is a much better interview than some of Steve's previous ones as it seems he's more open minded regarding the aesthetics of the label.

You might want to be more open-minded regarding what makes a good interview.

Quote:
I think CBCS would increase their market share dramatically with a better looking label to be honest, or even a label that looks similar to CGC so everyone will stop complaining.

To date I've heard exactly 1 person actually say that they choose CGC over CBCS for no reason other than the label. And I think that person would not pass a lie detector on the subject. That person uses CGC because they flip modern comics and want the highest resale value with quick sales.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
This is a much better interview than some of Steve's previous ones as it seems he's more open minded regarding the aesthetics of the label.

You might want to be more open-minded regarding what makes a good interview.

Quote:
I think CBCS would increase their market share dramatically with a better looking label to be honest, or even a label that looks similar to CGC so everyone will stop complaining.

To date I've heard exactly 1 person actually say that they choose CGC over CBCS for no reason other than the label. And I think that person would not pass a lie detector on the subject. That person uses CGC because they flip modern comics and want the highest resale value with quick sales.bold text

You may not have too many friends based on your attitude that's probably why you've only heard exactly one person tell you this. If you actually listened to the interview you will know that there were a lot of people who didn't like the CBCS labels. If more people were using CBCS there wouldn't be the higher resale value of CGC slabs. There's other factors of course like CGC being in the market longer etc but the questions during the interview will tell you what the people want.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
You may not have too many friends based on your attitude that's probably why you've only heard exactly one person tell you this

Yeah, probably true. I assume you have a lot more friends, so how many people have told you that they choose CGC over CBCS based purely on the look of the label?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Good grief. I can’t believe People are still complaining about labels. You can’t please everyone I guess. I preferred the original blue no hologram labels but I’m not complaining. CBCS let it’s customers vote on the current label. The label looks how the majority of voters wants it to look. Please, CBCS, leave the labels as is. They look fine.
Post 17 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
but I can see why the vast majority would find the CGC label way more pleasing and attractive.

I prefer the CBCS label design and look over CGC's hands down...not even close. Where did you see the data that the vast majority find the CGC label more pleasing and attractive?
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I think both labels kind of look like shit for different reasons.

P.S. I don't care how many friends I have.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Was it me or did Mr. economics in comics put on his grown up pants during last night's interview! Great job Steve responding to question that have been asked of you numerous times. You look well my friend! I for one am impressed with what CBCS does with such a small staff. Thank you Steve for bringing ethics back into comic book grading. Nuff said..
Post 20 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
The label matters. I was a creative director for 20 years. Design matters, but because people like to think they're above the influence they say otherwise.

I've said it before, will say it again. CGC looks like Kleenex, CBCS looks like facial tissue.

One is the name brand, the other is the off-brand. Their market shares back that up.

If CBCS ever wants to be top-dog or at least reach a Nike/Adidas kind of parity they need to look like a leading brand and not a second-rate copycat. I'm not saying CBCS is second-rate, don't freak out, I'm saying they look like they're second-rate and new customers will make decisions on a combination of price, reputation, and looks.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Thanks for listening everyone! Had a good time doing the interview.
And, thanks for all comments and suggestions!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatterEaterLad
If CBCS ever wants to be top-dog or at least reach a Nike/Adidas kind of parity they need to look like a leading brand and not a second-rate copycat. I'm not saying CBCS is second-rate, don't freak out, I'm saying they look like they're second-rate and new customers will make decisions on a combination of price, reputation, and looks.

@MatterEaterLad If this were a brand new company with no history, I would be right with you and say let's take another look at the label design. But this company does have history, and some of that history includes redesigned labels. At some point the pursuit of "great" becomes the enemy of "good enough". I think of it like someone who gets married 4 or 5 times in constant pursuit of a better spouse. Even if they perfectly nailed the next label choice, CBCS could become known as the company that keeps changing labels rather than the company with the best label. Our industry is small, it would be easy for the detractors of CBCS to get that narrative going. In the same way that a small community who knows the history won't respect a guy for finding the perfect wife on the 5th try. At some point you've got to just work with what you've got and focus resources on other improvements, such as a magazine size holder.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia

Corporations overhaul their branding all the time, to keep up with the times.

I do hear what you're saying though. There were some mid-course corrections to the label designs at both companies. I MUCH prefer the CBCS holders, trust the quality and consistency of CBCS grading more than CGC. I just wish the CBCS labels had a more professionally designed look, which CGC has. To many people, myself included, they look like the lesser, when they're not.

We're all here because we like CBCS as a company and Steve *waving to Steve* is not only the Yoda of grading but one of the nicest guys in the industry. It's natural that folks here will defend the labels. But man, if you're ever in a CGC Facebook group there are so many people coming into the hobby who equate CBCS with PGX, and the label is part of that perception/first impression.

Okay...time for me to stop.

Post 24 IP   flag post
@MatterEaterLad, excellent well thought up post. You need to stop arguing with @EbayMafia, he/she is a stubborn mule that has his head buried in the sand and will not listen to any constructive criticism. Wasting your time, he's beyond reason.

I'm in the same boat as you @MatterEaterLad. I think CBCS is by far the superior company. I'm only starting to get into grading this year and have been doing research on both companies to see where I should send my books. CBCS has better pricing, TAT, professionalism, integrity. Also for me, they have a Canadian drop off location, this has tipped the scale for me in favor of CBCS. There's no reason why CBCS isn't the premier grading company. You can say that CGC has been around longer, but we have seen newer companies come along and offer a better product and have taken over as the industry leader in other businesses.

Prior to joining the CBCS forums I have never actually heard of anyone saying they prefer the design of the CBCS labels over CGC. When I was asking around my friends and fellow collectors at my local shop for grading advice, the perception is CGC is the superior company and their slabs command a higher premium. They told me to go with CGC. They also think the labels of CBCS looks absolutely awful and was done in Microsoft Paint. I think this is were the perception is of CBCS looking like a second rate company.

I don't mind the CBCS label. I actually prefer the new CBCS hologram logo, has a very nice clean look. However I do agree with you that CBCS needs a more professionally designed label if they ever want to be seen as parity to CGC. The design and look matters a lot with regards to perception.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
You may not have too many friends based on your attitude

Quote:
You need to stop arguing with @EbayMafia, he/she is a stubborn mule that has his head buried in the sand and will not listen to any constructive criticism. Wasting your time, he's beyond reason.

Quote:
I think CBCS would increase their market share dramatically with a better looking label to be honest,

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
how many people have told you that they choose CGC over CBCS based purely on the look of the label?

You never answered the question. You made an assertion about better labels equaling dramatically more market share. When asked to back it up you went straight to personal attacks. Just answer the question that was asked. How many of your friends give up consistent accurate grading, better holders, lower prices and shorter TAT's for nothing more than prettier labels. Who makes that trade?
Post 26 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You need to stop arguing with @EbayMafia, he/she is a stubborn mule that has his head buried in the sand and will not listen to any constructive criticism. Wasting your time, he's beyond reason.

For the last two years I've struggled how to properly phrase how I feel about @ebaymafia, but this is perfect. He is indeed a stubborn mule that cannot be reasoned with.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
Quote:

For the last two years I've struggled how to properly phrase how I feel about @ebaymafia, but this is perfect. He is indeed a stubborn mule that cannot be reasoned with.

OK, @flanders, now I'm starting to think that maybe you are my wife. I've noticed that she's never in the same room with me when you post.
Post 29 IP   flag post
598094 29 29
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.