Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What does the Check mean over a grade14434

Collector Bige private msg quote post Address this user
I got a 9.0 on a comic and it had a check mark over the number it also has a star in the my comics section
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Per the CBCS Website

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCS Website
Check Mark

In rare cases, a comic book will look much better than the given grade. In these rare cases, a Check Mark will be placed on the label by the numerical grade.

The best way to understand why a specific comic book received a Check Mark designation is to refer to the graders' notes

Basically books of a certain grade tend to have a certain “look” or amount of wear. In some occasions the book’s unique accumulation of flaws means its condition falls into a certain grade but the book’s general appearance is better than that expected of a book in that grade
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
A check or an asterisk means the grade is better than a 9.0 but not enough for a 9.2.

I would like to know how they (CBCS) grades. What their check list looks like.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Rafel That is not what the checkmark means. A book’s flaws can put it firmly within a certain grade but still get a checkmark because it looks better than a book of that grade is expected to look

The CBCS grading scale can be found here
Post 4 IP   flag post
Cover, 8 pages before the staples, 8 pages after, back cover. MrNotSoNice private msg quote post Address this user
I think it is when a book presents better than its numerical grade, like if there is an interior defect.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@MrNotSoNice Correct. The book presents better than the grade given.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Rafel That is not what the checkmark means. A book’s flaws can put it firmly within a certain grade but still get a checkmark because it looks better than a book of that grade is expected to look

The CBCS grading scale can be found here

Help me out here, please. If The book presents better than the grade given, then why not give it the higher grade or is it that the cover is amazing but the inner pages are torn, missing or damaged, hence a check mark?
Post 7 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Example:
Cover detached from bottom staple.

It might not be seen in the holder, so hence, the check mark. Looks better, check the FREE graders notes for the details.
Post 8 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user

My example: this book looks NM, but got a 8.5 w/checkmark for tanning on the interior of the cover. Graders notes told me the reason for the checkmark.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector xtraplayer private msg quote post Address this user
So a 9.0 checkmark book would be better than a regular 9.0 right ??
Post 10 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@xtraplayer they're the same grade but the check marked book presents better than the 9.0 without it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
FAQ: "What is the CBCS checkmark grade, and how is it different than a CGC green label?"

A: First and foremost, the numerical grade CBCS gives the comic on the left side of the label is the grade of the comic based on the accumulation of defects it contains. However, if the comic contains a defect that is hidden or hard to see through the case, it may appear to look much nicer than the actual grade of the comic. In this case it will receive a check mark by the numerical grade.

An example would be a comic that appears to be a 9.8 but has a six inch tear on three interior pages. In this case, the grade on the CBCS case may be something like a 7.0 with a checkmark by it. The 7.0 is the actual grade of the comic based on the defects it contains. The checkmark means, "but inside the case, you can not see why it is a 7.0, so you might want to have a look at the FREE CBCS grader's notes for more details."

The checkmark does NOT mean there is a pressable defect, nor does it mean the book is a higher technical grade than the numerical grade on the CBCS label. The grade is the grade. The checkmark means you probably can't tell why by looking at it through the case.

A CGC green label contains a numerical grade on the label, but that grade is not the actual grade of the comic book based on the defects it contains.

In the prior example, the comic with the tears on the interior pages would be given a green CGC 9.8 label. In this case, 9.8 is not the actual grade of the book. It is the grade of how the book appears inside of the case. A number with absolutely no basis on the actual grade of the comic based on the defects the comic book contains. What is the actual grade of a CGC green label comic? Who knows? You are not given that information.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Triplecdad private msg quote post Address this user
Steve, under another topic you asked for suggestions on how to improve things: You should describe the "Check mark" on your website in the grading definition/explanation section. The first time I had CBCS grade books for me, 5 of 18 books had the Checks. I read that such was rare, but then had almost a third of my books come back with the mysterious unexplained Check. The graders notes did not explain why . . . it was frustrating as I was left to wonder if that meant there was something I could have done to improve the grade. This topic has been helpful and Mr. Rickett's description is appreciated.
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@Triplecdad It is already on our website on the grade definition page.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Oops, sorry I missed it, apologize. I feel suitably chastened but perhaps you can press one of my books extra hard ... teach me to check (no pun intended) on things first
Post 15 IP   flag post
I guess what i'm asking is, which would be more desired ? If you seen a 9.0 and a 9.0checkmark for same price, which would you choose ?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@xtraplayer i would probably pick the check mark as the cover would likely look better that the typical 9.0. I just would also have the knowledge that there is a flaw that knocks it down to the 9.0 but would otherwise not see.

It’s not that it is a better or higher grade it just looks better at first glance.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator Kind of a weird situation, I would take a checkmark book over a non-check of the same grade because I think that presentation is important. But as far as paying more for it...maybe I would pay like 5% more? Maybe $105 vs $100 or $210 vs $200 but definitely not much more than that. And the presentation difference would have to be something I could recognize. Never real thought about it before though.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplecdad
The first time I had CBCS grade books for me, 5 of 18 books had the Checks.

@Triplecdad To get 5 out of 18 checkmarks I would think there was something systemic about the flaws? Maybe something in the way they were stored? Share the grader notes here, they may actually explain more than you think.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
It's a caution sign for flippers. "Do not CPR this book!!!"
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

@Jesse_O I was thinking that it could sometimes mean the opposite...such as non color breaking bends or other slight storage damage?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Read this and this was the first thing that came to mind

Post 22 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

@Jesse_O I was thinking that it could sometimes mean the opposite...such as non color breaking bends or other slight storage damage?

A lot of times, the issue is interior. That's why the book presents better than the grade. It's always possible that it could benefit from a press. But if the covers are clean and already pressed, it's probably not getting a grade bump from cleaning and pressing again. From my understanding, there are quite a few people who look at a book and decide to buy it because they think it is undergraded. For those people, the check mark should be a caution sign because the main grade effecting feature cannot be seen.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Yeah, could maybe be a couple dog ears on pages inside ? i guess the description would state what exactly the inner flaws were.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Triplecdad To get 5 out of 18 checkmarks I would think there was something systemic about the flaws? Maybe something in the way they were stored? Share the grader notes here, they may actually explain more than you think.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Thanks for the suggestion, I will pull the books and look at the notes.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:

Ok, when I originally received my books over two years ago, there was trouble with reading the grader's notes, and when I read them they were incomplete, so honestly, I never went back. Just now went and used the scanner to read the notes, and much more detailed. Basically, the answer is simple stupidity on my part. All five Check books have dents on the back cover. I had never submitted books for grading, and had no idea of the importance of pressing. I screwed up and should have pressed them, and am now thinking about doing so.
Post 27 IP   flag post
601282 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?