Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Is discussing CGC allowed?14404

Collector adamlui private msg quote post Address this user
New to the forum, asking title's question
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
yes and you can show photos of CGC slabs too
Post 2 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamlui
New to the forum, asking title's question

Lay it on us.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
CGC, yes.

KGB, no.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Wow that's such a stark contrast to CGC boards. I just got banned for opining their grading scale is inferior to others. In a popular thread I created to encourage collectors share pics of their favorite slabs. The mod locked it + banned me to prevent me from continuing my thought, then unlocked the thread days later so it didn't look like something fishy occurred. (My profile doesn't even indicate I'm banned)
Post 5 IP   flag post
What I'm getting at is they seem to want to nurture a cult-like community by making it seem like CGC is infallible and the only grading service in existence
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
What I'm getting at is they seem to want to nurture a cult-like community by making it seem like CGC is infallible and the only grading service in existence

On the other hand, CBCS is overly accommodating to people who want to come on their forum and use it as a platform to air their grievances, complaints or disagreements. I guess that's a good thing but I get fired up when the complainant starts tossing around negative superlatives and hyperbolic language.
Post 7 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, they can be sensitive to criticism over there, but you will see some negative comments if people get hosed on their submissions - stuff in the slab, excessive Newton rings, wrong label, seemingly ridiculous grading, damage during encapsulation or shipment, wait times, high fees, etc. Oh, I guess there are a few problems over there.

Their grading system is more than inferior, it's almost non-existent. And super-vague, like this:
VG/FN 5.0 - An average collectible with several moderate defects.

CGC's thoughts: "Be careful, don't get too specific."
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:

On the other hand, CBCS is overly accommodating to people who want to come on their forum and use it as a platform to air their grievances, complaints or disagreements. I guess that's a good thing but I get fired up when the complainant starts tossing around negative superlatives and hyperbolic language.

Can you link me to such posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester15
Yes, they can be sensitive to criticism over there, but you will see some negative comments if people get hosed on their submissions - stuff in the slab, excessive Newton rings, wrong label, seemingly ridiculous grading, damage during encapsulation or shipment, wait times, high fees, etc. Oh, I guess there are a few problems over there.

Their grading system is more than inferior, it's almost non-existent. And super-vague, like this:
VG/FN 5.0 - An average collectible with several moderate defects.

CGC's thoughts: "Be careful, don't get too specific."

I wasn't hosed just pointed out someone's 9.8 had a lot of defects and he revealed CGC bizarrely factors age into grading. Do you know if CBCS does the same?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Also is CBCS and Beckett the same company? I know from trading graded Magic cards years ago Beckett was reputed to be the strictest grader
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector jokioo private msg quote post Address this user

Speaking of CGC, look what I almost bid on tonight... until I zoomed in on the book. Pretty shocking that stuff like this slips through the cracks as a 9.6. Don't mean for this to be overly critical or negative, just thought the timing was funny considering this thread popped up! Another careful reminder to buy the book, not the grade. Cheers.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@jokioo CGC's grading was already going downhill and has been highly inconsistent over the last couple years. With an insane amount of submissions I'm sure they are making a lot more mistakes and this could've been a error in the labeling department where they mixed up the grade with a comic that was submitted on the same order. I expect a lot more errors to be happening with comics graded in 2021. I've heard a lot of complaints on the CGC boards and on Facebook that CGC is an absolute mess at the moment.

Post 12 IP   flag post
I don't think anything "slipped" because I couldn't find any mention of factoring age on the public CGC page where its high-level grading criteria is disclosed. So it was my opinion that they intentionally hide things like that as part of a broader policy to increase profit that caused me to be banned.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Also is CBCS and Beckett the same company? I know from trading graded Magic cards years ago Beckett was reputed to be the strictest grader

CBCS was purchased by Beckett, but they act independently, I believe. People's opinions vary as to which company grades more strictly, and some believe it to be similar grading. I don't know that there is a general consensus. If I had to guess, CBCS would be considered a "tougher" grader because it may be thought to be more accurate, and CGC a bit "off".

I don't think either company intentionally factors age into grading, with the exception of Golden Age possibly. And that's only due to the manufacturing limitations of the time, I think.
Post 14 IP   flag post
It increases profit because the more inflated the grades the more desirable the grading service causing revenue to increase without the typical increase in expenditures (since it costs nothing to dictate policy to waged employees)
Post 15 IP   flag post
An opinion would be that you don't agree with their grading methods. What you've stated above is an accusation more than it is a personal opinion. I'm not sure what company wouldn't ban you from their forum while making this type of accusation , even though I completely agree with you.
Post 16 IP   flag post
But it doesn't work if the reputation isn't there already (like PGX's) so IMO any grading company that has reached a critical level of reputability can be prone to such lack of ethics (IIRC CGC grades used to be spot on before the new collector frenzy)
Post 17 IP   flag post
@adamlui I hope you discuss what comics you will be submitting to CBCS next. Everyone here has discussed the flaws of CGC far too many times already and it's more fun to discuss anything other than this.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
I don't think either company intentionally factors age into grading, with the exception of Golden Age possibly. And that's only due to the manufacturing limitations of the time, I think.

But multiple old school members revealed that some CGC representative admitted it was a factor. The fact you don't think it's true empasizes my point even more, that they don't make it public so grades are higher without suspicion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
@adamlui I'm not sure what company wouldn't ban you from their forum while making this type of accusation , even though I completely agree with you.

I own a company I wouldn't ban you for accusing me of anything in the forum. I am a man of reason and would engage using logic to disprove false accusations, not censor them

Quote:
I say this as someone who's been banned on the CGC forum for criticizing them as well.

What did you get banned for?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
@adamlui I hope you discuss what comics you will be submitting to CBCS next. Everyone here has discussed the flaws of CGC far too many times already and it's more fun to discuss anything other than this.

I don't have any real plans to submit comics in the forseeable future because I find it convenient to just purchase them slabbed (it's like you're paying someone for the time of handling/waiting/receiving)
Post 20 IP   flag post
I'm just going to contact CBCS right now and get to the bottom of whether they are equally unscrupulous like CGC. Will share findings upon reply
Post 21 IP   flag post
@adamlui I forget what I got temporarily banned for. It may have been for criticizing CGC on a post where an owner sent it several restored comics, got a custom label for the slabs, and somehow not a single one of the restored comics were listed as restored on the custom labels or the grader's notes. I may have thrown in a CBCS > CGC in my post as well . I don't frequent their forums anyway, since there are an overwhelming amount of annoying and condescending know-it-alls over there.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Well it sounds like you were banned for the same reason as I was, glad to know I'm not alone.

Check out the email I just sent off to CBCS, will reply when they reply:

Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm just going to contact CBCS right now and get to the bottom of whether they are equally unscrupulous like CGC. Will share findings upon reply

So you are going to write CBCS and ask them if "they are equally unscrupulous like CGC"? Good luck with that.

CGC OWNS their forum, and therefore can do with it whatever they think is in their best interests. You have some kind of "conspiracy theory" going on about their practices, and their ethics. You are undermining their business, so off you go. It's that simple. Same will happen here.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I don't have any real plans to submit comics in the forseeable future because I find it convenient to just purchase them slabbed (it's like you're paying someone for the time of handling/waiting/receiving)

It's a good point. I also find that when slabbing TAT's are long it discourages me from buying raw books for Personal Collection with the intention of getting them slabbed. If the premium is not overly severe I would rather pay extra for having the convenience and confidence of the 3rd party grading already been done.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
So you are going to write CBCS and ask them if "they are equally unscrupulous like CGC"? Good luck with that.

No I sent the email in the picture before your post. Their response reveals whether they are, not an answer to the explicit question

Quote:
CGC OWNS their forum, and therefore can do with it whatever they think is in their best interests. You have some kind of "conspiracy theory" going on about their practices, and their ethics. You are undermining their business, so off you go. It's that simple.

It's not a conspiracy, several members in unison admitted that an employee once revealed in an interview that paper age is factored. I trust their members, who have been there over 15 years. If you don't find it unethical that this is not disclosed on the page CGC directs the public to view their grading criteria, then you simply do not grasp what's ethical or not

Quote:
Same will happen here.

What is it that you think will happen here? You mean if the reply I get from CBCS in the email I sent that you bizarrely ignored when asking me what email I was going to send indicates they are being unethical and I point it out I will be banned? Are you a moderator or something, or speaking for others?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
I also find that when slabbing TAT's ...

What're TAT's?

Edit: NVM figured it's turnaround times
Post 27 IP   flag post
Keep in mind CBCS is extremely busy at the moment. If you don't get a response it doesn't mean they're ignoring you, it means they have thousands of other things to do that are far higher priority.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Thanks I'm in no rush this is just for science
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
It increases profit because the more inflated the grades the more desirable the grading service causing revenue to increase without the typical increase in expenditures (since it costs nothing to dictate policy to waged employees)

I think it's fair to consider grade inflation without accusation. I've always assumed that natural business bias could help the grades of the larger customers who have a relationship with the company and are in daily communication. When I buy a CGC graded book from a dealer that I know is a large submitter, I will inspect it more critically. But until a whistle-blower comes out and says that it was company policy, I have to assume that it's nothing more than a natural bias...if it's there at all.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601262 245 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?