Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ask questions here without starting a whole new thread14403

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Murmonster Agreed..the expert was from Torpedo Comics

@flanders lol!! I'm betting he wished he bought it to!
Post 251 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Post 252 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Won a book on eBay tonight. Was a little taken aback over the total at check out. I then realized it was the sales tax. It made me think about severely limiting my eBay purchasing, especially if the price of the book is of some weight.
Post 253 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Been paying that for months at MCS for my books, and yeah it digs deep into your pockets. Then you get people running around going on and on about price bubbles and things being so high they will have to suddenly plummet in price......nevermind how the fees and added taxes have helped contribute
Post 254 IP   flag post
Evaluating this book today.....

Fantastic Four 28 apparent slab grade 6.5

Graders notes are rather suggestive...
"Grader Notes : crease left bottom of back cover
large crease top of whole book
spine stress lines breaks color
very small crease right bottom of front cover breaks color"

GPA says a 6.5 is around 350
a 7.0 is 355

at 7.5 the book moves to around 900 dollars.

Two of the obvious flaws mentioned might in fact press out. I have to doubt it was cleaned or pressed prior to grading given the notes. I am deciding if doing so would give it that extra shove over the 7.5 mark .....

I see this book as a solid investment the coming 36 months with its early crossover between the FF and x men, both groups we know Disney is about to push really hard. Considering a crack and resubmit.....wyd?
Post 255 IP   flag post

You can't always completely rely on the cgc notes. That back cover looks tanned around the edges, especially the top. I think that would still hold the grade back even if the other defects were corrected.
Post 256 IP   flag post
Plus, I wouldn't resubmit anything already sitting in a new holder.
Post 257 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
In the 1950's or 1960's, what did Scott do that made everyone say "Great Scott!" all the time? And what is Scott's last name?

Example:

Or watch any episode of Batman with Adam West.
Post 258 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Why did I buy a $3.19 comic and pay $15 to ship it? I feel so stupid. I put a bunch of pre order books and some current ones in my cart and came back to it later and somehow I ordered everything without knowing and chose to get the pre order books weekly. So of course one was current and got billed with the $15 shipping. I better change some shipping choices asap.
Post 259 IP   flag post
What are your thoughts on this: eBay Auction Listing.

Auction listing: New Gods #4 CGC 9.2
Opening Bid: $24.99
0 bids made
2 days + some hours remaining
I open and place the first bid

moments later: message received listing is cancelled and re-listed.

New opening bid: $124.99.
I inquire why, he states 1st opening bid was entered wrong.

You think this is true or is the seller being shady here?
Post 260 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC

Shadier than Marshall Mathers.
Post 261 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Ebay is shady. My new way of operating is to counter-shadiness by by being shady myself, getting the transactions off their system. Seller saves in fees, I still get security through payment method, and ebay gets just a tiny taste of what it deserves. Aware ebay tries to intervene but I couldnt care less if they ban me.
Post 262 IP   flag post

9.6+ candidate? Realize mylar and not the clearest photo. There is one defect, a slight color break on bottom left corner. No other color breaks, sharp corners. Not spine ticks.

Slight what I can only describe as “impressions” across the cover (not color breaking, not visible when handling but visible if you view comic on sharp angle with the right light) so I am considering a press.

This is one of two books I am thinking of having Neal sign, then get pressed and encapsulated for SS (since they have a submission process) OR will just get graded OR just pressed and graded.

Thoughts?
Post 263 IP   flag post

This is the other book. Lower grade for sure with that slight cover corner roll in bottom right. Ugh. My other thought is to get this signed and graded. Expecting a (conservative 9.0- optimistic 9.4 range but perhaps I am off). Again, realize hard to tell given photos (from my camera roll not for these posts…)
Post 264 IP   flag post
Collector Reelgee private msg quote post Address this user
hey guys i'm tryin to improve my buying of current comics skills, because they suck! I basicly stick to my top dogs Avengers,X men and new to my list is immortal hulk,(thanks to my grandson!)And i got lucky with picking up batman.Anyway so far i've miss out on keys like thor #6,DD #25 Strange Academy,(thanks darkseid).And Now the one that made me write this is Crossover n Eniac.Had no idea about this one,my LCS so far haven't been too helpful,hell one of them told me to go somewhere else.i started checking out bleeding cool. but I'm looking for more.also use hot keys when i remember. the online stores i use is midtown,mcs,elite,hip. help me out guys
Post 265 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I like looking through the previews. On MCS, I just look at the first issues to see if anything catches my eye. In February, I thought I might luck out and get a "White" #1 for cover price by pre-ordering it through MCS. Black Mask limited the copies to 2,500. I'm still kicking myself for not pre-ordering the "Black" series. Anyway, today I got the following email from MCS. I guess I'll get the second printing.

Post 266 IP   flag post
When will I, will I be famous?
Post 267 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
In the 1950's or 1960's, what did Scott do that made everyone say "Great Scott!" all the time? And what is Scott's last name?

From the Google machine:

A 1952 article from Illinois’s Quincy Whig explained that “The exclamation of great SCOTT,’ so frequently used by many people, is said to allude to Gen. Scott, the whig candidate for President.” And Slate reports that author John William De Forest mentioned the general in two different works from the era.

“I follow General Scott,” he wrote in his 1867 Civil War novel Miss Ravenel’s Conversion From Secession to Loyalty. “We used to swear by him in the army. Great Scott! the fellows said.”

De Forest repeated the exclamation in an 1871 story, explaining that the character was “using the then commander-in-chief for an oath, as officers sometimes did in those days.”

Based on that evidence, it looks like Winfield Scott left his mark on military history and on the history of minced oaths—non-offensive replacements for profanity like Great Scott!, Zoonters!, and these 15 other goofy expletives.

[h/t Slate]
Post 268 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Here's one I learned tonight that blows my mind, assuming it's true: "testify" and "testimony" come from the word testicles. In ancient times a serious oath between two men involved the promiser holding the balls (most important asset) of the promisee while he made the oath. When Abraham asked his servant to make promises regarding who Isaac could marry, he first said "put your hand under my thigh", meaning "hold my testicles while you make this promise".
Post 269 IP   flag post
Is it possible to get all those individual sales threads deleted so the top page isn't so clogged up?
Post 270 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O

Example:

Or watch any episode of Batman with Adam West.
@Jesse_O & @ebaymafia - i concur. I hadnt known about the probably origin so I looked up in a Safari/DuckDuckGo search ,prior to seeing ebaymafia google reference, and found this:

“ it’s difficult to prove exactly when the phrase emerged and who the original “great Scott” was. That said, most signs point to Winfield Scott, an American army general who towered over his troops both literally and figuratively. Scott stood 6 feet, 5 inches tall, and is said to have weighed as much as 300 pounds by the end of his life.”

Now with that, here is a nugget….that i can drop on you. SHIT. What is it? Well, when manure was shipped over water, it was important for it not to get wet. As such the containers were marked “Stack High In Transit” or “Ship High In Transit” as that was rather lengthy, it would be abbreviated to S.H.I.T.

This was actually a safety issue as when the cow patties would get wet, it would ferment and create methane gas and become explosive. Many ships were lost in the 15th / 16th century hence the importance of SHIT.
Post 271 IP   flag post
https://www.truthorfiction.com/shit/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/shit-faced/
Post 272 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
https://www.truthorfiction.com/shit/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/shit-faced/

Funny how with origin stories, sometimes the one that is most entertaining will win out over the long run because it will be retold more often. I've already told my kids about Stack High In Transit and don't really have the energy to correct the story to "some derivation of a German word". Makes me wonder how much of history is just the best and most easily told story winning out over the more complicated and boring truth. Probably a lot considering that most of history's population couldn't even read, let alone use the internet.
Post 273 IP   flag post
I think you are pretty on point with what you have said...for me its always the idea of spreading misinformation and perpetuating further lack of truthful information that leads me to verify and cross check things often and keep the correct story if I can.

For me it might be easier to let sleeping dogs lie, but I just find the concept of being responsible for someone else to have a false idea to be unworkable.
Post 274 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
For me it might be easier to let sleeping dogs lie, but I just find the concept of being responsible for someone else to have a false idea to be unworkable.

Unless it's the CEO...or his wife, lol. Along those lines, I think the story of the Emperors New Clothes got the ending all wrong. When the kid started yelling that the Emperor wore no clothes, the most likely reply would have been "somebody shut that kid up before he gets us killed!".
Post 275 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
here is a nugget….that i can drop on you

Ok, that didn't take as long as I thought.

There is wikipedia page, so you don't have to be bombarded with add and such, to origins of various words. The article is "List of common false etymologies of English words". Warning, profane and offensive language used on the page.
Post 276 IP   flag post
Anyone remember when speculating meant buying two...one to have and one to sell when it doubles from 50 cents to $1? Now it's like speculating means buying 15 or 20.
Post 277 IP   flag post
does cbcs have any promo codes right now? I'm sending in another batch.
Post 278 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@GAC none at the moment, I'd wait until August 1st.
Post 279 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Anyone remember when speculating meant buying two...one to have and one to sell when it doubles from 50 cents to $1? Now it's like speculating means buying 15 or 20.

or buying one of each of the 200+ variant covers to have the "hot" one to flip!!
Post 280 IP   flag post
600893 961 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.