Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating or cooking?14395

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I didn’t ask about the air compressor and duck because … the answer was a bit obvious ;-)

Btw, related/unrelated… electric leafblowers used carefully are an excellent way to dry your car after washing it. I don’t recommend for prepping ducks.
Post 701 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave

So far we have tried crushed tomatoes and then Rao's marinara for the sauce. The mozzarella was I think fresh, but he switched to shredded. I'll ask him why in the morning. I know we did not dry the fresh mozzarella and it made the dough a tad too moist after cooking.the basil he put into the sauce. We did not put it on after the fact. I'll ask him about that too.

In regards to bacon. He added a bit of maple syrup to it after he cooked it and he said that changed the flavor and he ate a small plate of just bacon. He said that next time he needs to add sugar and it will be next level.
Post 702 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave

if the answer is obvious, why did he need to blow air into the skin? Is it to make skin more crispy?
Post 703 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Davethebrave

if the answer is obvious, why did he need to blow air into the skin? Is it to make skin more crispy?

It is one of the key steps in making Peking duck… and, yes, it is to make the skin crispier by allowing heat to more evenly cook the skin (from both sides), therefore also rending the fat on both sides more effectively.
Post 704 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@Davethebrave

So far we have tried crushed tomatoes and then Rao's marinara for the sauce. The mozzarella was I think fresh, but he switched to shredded. I'll ask him why in the morning. I know we did not dry the fresh mozzarella and it made the dough a tad too moist after cooking.the basil he put into the sauce. We did not put it on after the fact. I'll ask him about that too.

In regards to bacon. He added a bit of maple syrup to it after he cooked it and he said that changed the flavor and he ate a small plate of just bacon. He said that next time he needs to add sugar and it will be next level.

Shredded moz is easier to handle and if pre-shredded (my assumption) will have less liquid. The tomato sauce needs to be oiled and salted.

All said, the great thing about za is you can do what you want. The awesome thing about a high temp oven is that you can indeed replicate (closely) what you get by traveling many miles. So doing a recreation once or twice might be cool.
Post 705 IP   flag post

"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Concocting Jack Daniel’s bbq sauce from scratch and it is y u m m y. Can’t wait to drown that pork in it tomorrow in the slow cooker.

Post 706 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Homemade tartar sauce for the fish tonight.

Post 707 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson you had me at homemade.
Post 708 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Needs more relish.
Post 709 IP   flag post

Rustic taco night. Homemade masa tortillas pressed and grilled fresh - organic ground beef (vs the cyborg cows I guess??), lime, avocado, full fat greek yogurt as a healthier sour cream substitute, some salsa, shredded lettuce and of course all perfectly seasoned. Topped with our tabletop selection of about 6 hot sauces tonight.

Also some fresh french bread in the new machine. 5 mins of measuring and dropping a list of about 5 ingredients and 3.5 hrs of no effort and … amazing bakery fresh bread. We will start modifying set recipes and create custom creations soon.
Post 710 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Needs more relish.

There's no relish in it.
Post 711 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustThatGuy
@DrWatson you had me at homemade.

The only kitchen gadgets I used were measuring spoons, a knife, and a whisk.
Post 712 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
My wife has started her Christmas cookie baking.

Post 713 IP   flag post
Baked potato with chili, cheese, sour cream, butter, salt, and pepper.

Post 714 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
It's my first time using a tortilla press and these chicken meat pies taste great.

Post 715 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user
Mas Fritos por favor!
Post 716 IP   flag post
Fried the steak. Made the gravy, twice. Now, it's all in the crock pot. What a pain in the ass.
Post 717 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Ham cooking in the oven, mash patatoes, mac 'n cheese, rolls, brown gravy, cookies, and green beans with mushrooms will all be done and on the table in about an hour. I'm about to start on the salad.
Post 718 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Homemade meat pie and a big old ham.

Post 719 IP   flag post
Yesterday’s second year of a bbq Xmas dinner tradition now.

Post 720 IP   flag post
Christmas Eve dinner. Lobster tails (prepared earlier and chilled) as appetizers with some homemade cocktail sauce. Rack of lamb, potatoes and rainbow carrots.

Post 721 IP   flag post
Homemade char siu bao as apps and general tao for entree.

Paper plates for the authentic experience (and our main dishwasher has been out of operation since August and our new one won’t arrive until March, earliest… talk about painful TAT)…

Post 722 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
More meat pies incoming.

Post 723 IP   flag post
Chili cheese dog. Home made chili.

Post 724 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave I have never had lobster. I love seafood but never had or created the opportunity to experience lobster. If the opportunity arises, it will definitely be at a 5 star restaurant. I'm certainly not going to try and prepare it myself. And, what would you order as a side dish,... I'm thinking maybe rice pilaf and steamed asparagus?

Also, TV commercials always show lemon juice squirted on lobster. I never see lemon squirted on salmon or Alaskan white,.. etc. Is there something about the taste or consistency of lobster that requires lemon to activate it? I can see dipping it in a butter sauce.
Post 725 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder Give home cooking a try. Lobster is an easy cook. Bake, butter poach or lightly salted water boil. Lemon definitely not needed.

Butter or cocktail sauce, either will do.

I did a super simple quick boil and then sliced and chilled. Need to first split the tail shell before cooking.

Good stuff and worth trying a simple split/boil at home.

Easier to prep and cook than 90% of seafood. Much easier than shrimp. DM for any tips or questions. Happy to help if able to.

To add re: sides. Root veggies (potatoes, carrots) are great, so is…virtually anything. I’m a fan of asparagus with steak and surf and turf works (steak/lob/asp) so why not lobster and asparagus. I might avoid broccoli or peas.

Chilled lobster is great too. That is how we had ours for Christmas Eve.
Post 726 IP   flag post
The meat pie fixation continues. I wonder what Freud would say.

Post 727 IP   flag post
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?
Post 728 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
The meat pie fixation continues. I wonder what Freud would say.

You like to eat pie?
Post 729 IP   flag post
Yeah..... had to edit that one.
Post 730 IP   flag post
598061 999 30