Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating or cooking?14395

I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
How long do they keep? Indefinitely?

Good question. Vinegar doesn’t go bad - which really just means harmful bacteria don’t typically survive in it.

My guess is the answer depends on proportion of vinegar to the other ingredients and - of course - the jarring process. Vacuum sealing the jar means heat sealing it and that definitely helps but…

My brain tells me I would not eat something stored in a jar since 1994.

It all still looks fresh. After 28 years, if it's not edible, maybe I can use to cure sinus blockage during allergy season.
Post 551 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder yeah, or follow the label on Dave’s Gourmet and use it to strip varnish ;-)
Post 552 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Or it might clear blockage on number 2 if it's bad. =)
Post 553 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder, at the very least, it could be used as a weapon. Basically bear mace brah. Lol
Post 554 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Or it might clear blockage on number 2 if it's bad. =)

Let's not talk about that. The caption beneath my avatar is due to my homemade dumplings. lol
Post 555 IP   flag post

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Several things are aged 28 years or longer and people still eat or drink them.
Post 556 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson

I still have a rum fruitcake my deceased Father purchased around 1975 that's plastic sealed in a tin. Not sure what to expect when/if I open.

I just keep it in the fridge.
Post 557 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:

I still have a rum fruitcake my Father purchased around 1975 that's plastic sealed in a tin. Not sure what to expect when/if I open.

That's no longer a fruit cake. That's a paperweight.
Post 558 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I still have a rum fruitcake my Father purchased around 1975 that's plastic sealed in a tin. Not sure what to expect when/if I open.

That's no longer a fruit cake. That's a paperweight.

I have an Ultron piggy bank statue I use as a paperweight.

Do you think I should just chunk the fruit cake?
Post 559 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
You think I should just chunk the fruit cake?

No, you should keep it.

Post 560 IP   flag post
Yes. We had one that lived in the back of the garage refrigerator for years. I secretly threw it away years ago. No one's the wiser.
Post 561 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexMuff
You guys r speakin my language. Here’s my Carolina Reaper plant. I like to smoke a batch of jalapeños with a couple of Reapers and make my own hot sauce. I call it “Capt. Giggity’s F Me Sideways Sauce”

@RexMuff - I am salivating. I should take your lead.
Post 562 IP   flag post
Quote:
Yes. We had one that lived in the back of the garage refrigerator for years. I secretly threw it away years ago. No one's the wiser.

Doesn't the fruit ferment with the alcohol from the rum? Just curious, as that should be an intoxicating cake to bite into.
Post 563 IP   flag post
Give it try. You might get a new custom title.
Post 564 IP   flag post
Quote:

An obituary?

Edit: I've already submitted for a new custom title but it didn't go through. Maybe consuming a 47 year old fruit cake..?
Post 565 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

An obituary?

Edit: I've already submitted for a new custom title but it didn't go through. Maybe consuming a 47 year old fruit cake..?

I think he meant "no longer constipated".
Post 566 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
After a disaster yesterday, today's came out SIGNIFICANTLY better. Still need to play around with the oven but cool investment.

Post 567 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I forgot you got a pie oven!
Post 568 IP   flag post
Quote:
After a disaster yesterday, today's came out SIGNIFICANTLY better. Still need to play around with the oven but cool investment.

Nice.

Btw, after your post I bought one - hope to get it in a few days. Thanks for the idea!

It will be a gift for me and my wife from my mom and sis. At least my wife will be surprised.
Post 569 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad
I was hoping nobody would ask after yesterday's make shift calzone. Lol

@Davethebrave

Very cool. Just remember it cooks insanely fast. You gotta keep moving it.

My brother refused my suggestion but in my opinion, buy some premade dough and be prepared to toss it. Use it to learn before investing time in making your own dough and pizza.
Post 570 IP   flag post
Quote:
@HeinzDad
I was hoping nobody would ask after yesterday's make shift calzone. Lol

@Davethebrave

Very cool. Just remember it cooks insanely fast. You gotta keep moving it.

My brother refused my suggestion but in my opinion, buy some premade dough and be prepared to toss it. Use it to learn before investing time in making your own dough and pizza.

Good advice. We have done a lot of homemade pizzas. Bufala (buffalo) moz, fresh (literally fresh) basil, etc.

Homemade, hand tossed dough… we do that. We only use the tipo 00 flour. We do american style doughs as well. Completely different process.

Keep in mind, we have a hand crank pasta machine in our house.

When we cook za on stones we crank the oven and of course that isn’t 900. We have a stone for one of our weber’s as well (a grill insert) and we ran that up at 900F. It is just a royal pain.

I am seriously stoked to get this, so thank you very much for planting the seed.
Post 571 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave

Were you able to get the black friday discount?

Edit.

We are doing everything for the first time. Dough, pizza. everything. It's like sink or swim with my brother. Prior to this, pizza was made on an app to the pizzaria.....
Post 572 IP   flag post
I'm not ignorant to a calzone. No pie oven here but a decent calzone recipe. Thats if you like the long sub shaped one. Not like the pizza dough flipped over. I could probably import you some crushed tomatoes for a sauce? I dunno, frozen in the mail sounds sketch.
Post 573 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad

The calzone was because the dough tore and he wanted to salvage the pie. Folding it over seemed the best idea at the time. That thing had seen better days. It was REALYY bad.
Post 574 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Davethebrave

Were you able to get the black friday discount?

Edit.

We are doing everything for the first time. Dough, pizza. everything. It's like sink or swim with my brother. Prior to this, pizza was made on an app to the pizzaria.....

No big discount but I got the 12 inch, not 16.

I think it was impressive to pull off a pizza on attempt #2. For us the worst part about oven baking is the transfer on / off the stone. You need something like cornmeal/flour on a regular peel. It can get a bit messy.

Couple tips from my side. Learn how to properly hand toss dough. It should end up with enough stretch and not be over-kneaded… you will know you master the dough when you get a lot of blister bubbles in the crust and when the crust is fully baked without being burnt on the bottom (no soggy or doughy crust in middle but also no significant burn on bottom).

For mozzarella, buffalo moz is truly best but whatever you use, try and dehydrate it before putting on. Will help a more efficient bake - less an issue in your cool (hot!) pizza oven… but still likely beneficial.

Dehydrating in this case is just towel drying the moz after you slice it. Otherwise as it cooks it will release so much moisture that your dough wont adequately cook in the center (vs the outer crust).
Post 575 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I was going to wait until the morning to make this but my prednisone had other ideas. Gluten free and dairy free French toast.

Post 576 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave

My brother cheated. He put the pie on a piece of aluminum foil. Apparently it tore last time because he couldn't get the pie on the peel. He said the crust wasn't as crisp because there was nowhere for the steam to escape. He said a pizza screen might be a better crutch. Ideally though he figures it out with any crutches. Excellent idea on the cheese. The cheese left a Lotta liquid.
Post 577 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders
I was going to wait until the morning to make this but my prednisone had other ideas. Gluten free and dairy free French toast.

Dang, I’ve never made my own FT. Especially from baller bread.
Post 578 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad it's easy to make but not nearly as good as the frozen toaster option.
Post 579 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad Dude, French toast is one of the first recipes in the Betty Crocker's New Boys and Girls Cookbook from the 1960s.
Post 580 IP   flag post
601334 999 30