Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating or cooking?14395

Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
A salad with kale, spinach, salmon , kidney beans and Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar dressing. I'm on a health kick at the moment!
Post 526 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Smoking cheese no issue here...snowing today so everything stays cool.

Also have some mulled apple cider on the go along with the jerky and smoked cheese
Post 527 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Prepped for tomorrow. The first person to guess what it will become will win a portion shipped for for free. Ready, Set, go!

Whenever I buy jerky and laugh at the price I remind myself of this. Three pounds of meat turned into waaaaay less. I think if you sold it all the materials would be covered. Certainly not the time.
Post 528 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user

Haven’t had this in a while. Added it to some homemade pad thai tonight.

Good stuff if you enjoy legitimately spicy food.
Post 529 IP   flag post
Collector goldenageoutlaw private msg quote post Address this user
turkey nachos
Post 530 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Whenever I buy jerky and laugh at the price I remind myself of this. Three pounds of meat turned into waaaaay less. I think if you sold it all the materials would be covered. Certainly not the time.

@HeinzDad I hadn't really thought about that, looks like it loses a whole lot of weight in the drying process. What do you figure the final weight is? Maybe 1 pound of jerky from 3 pounds of meat? When you think about it that way, $15-$20 a pound is pretty fair for decent quality mass-produced jerky.
Post 531 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Jasmine rice, chicken, coconut aminos, carrots, cabbage, garlic and green onion for dinner. Gluten free pumpkin muffins for dessert.

Post 532 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Dinner last night.

This is what I cook when I'm too lazy to really cook.

New York steak is cooked a medium.
That's how I like my steak. 👍
Post 533 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Homemade pumpkin pudding with granola

Post 534 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
You know, Ned, we're pretty much on the same wavelength, but I have to draw the line on that one. You may give my portion to Rod and Todd.
Post 535 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
My question is, are you eating those food choices out of necessity or because it tastes good? (I have only had pumpkin once and it was in a pumpkin cheesecake from cheesecake factory. )
Post 536 IP   flag post
@Bronte mostly due to my new diet. I've always liked pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, but it's a first for the pudding.
Post 537 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders my inquiring mind wants to know, is the pumpkin pudding any good? I like pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread. I also like pudding. So, I'm thinking I'd at least try that if I ever saw it offered.
Post 538 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O it tastes great to me and isn't difficult to make, but I think I'd prefer vanilla on a regular basis and this only occasionally. Chocolate is off limits unfortunately but maybe I'll try some other pudding flavors.
Post 539 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
BACON! It’s what’s for breakfast.

Sliced to King Size Annual thickness!

😁
Post 540 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave

@Davethebrave - been a huge fan of Dave’s Insanity sauce for a couple of decades. I especially appreciate their disclosure that it could also be used to strip varnish. Lol. And the warning “not for people with heart/respiratory problems”. And that is not hyperbole. If you add to a steaming pot, stand back and DO NOT breathe the steam. I have. It is not fun.

Here is my current inventory:

Post 541 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Quote:

@Davethebrave - been a huge fan of Dave’s Insanity sauce for a couple of decades. I especially appreciate their disclosure that it could also be used to strip varnish. Lol. And the warning “not for people with heart/respiratory problems”. And that is not hyperbole. If you add to a steaming pot, stand back and DO NOT breathe the steam. I have. It is not fun.

Here is my current inventory:

This may sound odd but I have about 20 different types of “hot” spices and sauces. I have an extremely high tolerance for spice by any standard.

Dave’s gourmet is great. They are the hottest “normal” sauces I’ve purchased for home use. Haven’t purchased them in a while but recently got a 3-pack.

Here are some of the more potent hot sauces on hand right now:

Post 542 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave - Hmmm. Never had the Carolina Reaper, let me know how it is, please.

On a side note, used to have a family and friends $20 monthly poker game that each household would host with snacks and food. One time I put out chips and 3 Salsas. I titled them: "Mild", "Hot", and "Hell on Earth - with "use extreme caution" warning. The Hell on Earth was actually Dave's Insanity Salsa. Yes, if you haven't tried it, they make a salsa. A couple of the guys came up, read the label and scoffed. Then took big scoops. What was witnessed after was hilarious. My Pakistani friend, after jumping up and down and holding his mouth for a good half minute, with tears running down his face finally yelled: "My God! What the F^(# is in that? The other guy...he coughed and sweated profusely for about a half hour before he could actually speak.

The salsa was actually good, but in very sparse quantity.
Post 543 IP   flag post
@Scifinator I’ve had carolina reaper before. Think scorpion pepper with an extra kick in the nuts.

I tend to add hot sauces to salsa to tailor the heat. Will give that version a try!
Post 544 IP   flag post
Collector RexMuff private msg quote post Address this user
You guys r speakin my language. Here’s my Carolina Reaper plant. I like to smoke a batch of jalapeños with a couple of Reapers and make my own hot sauce. I call it “Capt. Giggity’s F Me Sideways Sauce”

Post 545 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
A Native American lady I used to work with grows habanero and jalapeno peppers in her backyard. She says they get hotter each year.

In Jan 1994 she gave me two vacuum sealed mason jars. One jar has orange and yellow habaneros in vinegar with onions and garlic, the other jar has her habanero salsa. It's going on 28 years and I still haven't opened them.
Post 546 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
How long do they keep? Indefinitely?
Post 547 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte

I have no idea. Some of the others here who grow and preserve would know better than I.

My Brother-in-law who is Mexican from Derango says... "those peppers just gettin' hotter and hotter!"
Post 548 IP   flag post
Not sure really, but vinegar is one hell of a preservative. 28 years is a long time tho lol
Post 549 IP   flag post
Quote:

Good question. Vinegar doesn’t go bad - which really just means harmful bacteria don’t typically survive in it.

My guess is the answer depends on proportion of vinegar to the other ingredients and - of course - the jarring process. Vacuum sealing the jar means heat sealing it and that definitely helps but…

My brain tells me I would not eat something stored in a jar since 1994.
Post 550 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Good question. Vinegar doesn’t go bad - which really just means harmful bacteria don’t typically survive in it.

My guess is the answer depends on proportion of vinegar to the other ingredients and - of course - the jarring process. Vacuum sealing the jar means heat sealing it and that definitely helps but…

My brain tells me I would not eat something stored in a jar since 1994.

It all still looks fresh. After 28 years, if it's not edible, maybe I can use to cure sinus blockage during allergy season.
Post 551 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder yeah, or follow the label on Dave’s Gourmet and use it to strip varnish ;-)
Post 552 IP   flag post
Or it might clear blockage on number 2 if it's bad. =)
Post 553 IP   flag post
@Pre_Coder, at the very least, it could be used as a weapon. Basically bear mace brah. Lol
Post 554 IP   flag post
Quote:
Or it might clear blockage on number 2 if it's bad. =)

Let's not talk about that. The caption beneath my avatar is due to my homemade dumplings. lol
Post 555 IP   flag post
601329 999 30