Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating or cooking?14395

If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad

My muffins bring all the boys to the yard.
And they're like, they're better than yours.
Damn right, they're better than yours.
I can teach you, but I'd have to charge.
Post 376 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson I bet you just eat the top and give the stumps to homeless.
Post 377 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@DrWatson I bet you just eat the top and give the stumps to homeless.

Not a chance. When I eat a muffin, I always eat the entire muffin.
Post 378 IP   flag post
I think I just figured out why the authorities keep asking children if they know the muffin man.
Post 379 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@HeinzDad

My muffins bring all the boys to the yard.
And they're like, they're better than yours.
Damn right, they're better than yours.
I can teach you, but I'd have to charge.
I’m not sure what’s more impressive. Your baking prowess, or your knowledge of that Milkshake joint!
Post 380 IP   flag post

For the sake of information, my muffins look good from any angle.

Post 381 IP   flag post
Lasagna. House made sauce. San Marzano's, basil, garlic, oregano, and chives from the garden. The rest was store bought goods, if I could own a heffer or 2 I would.

Post 382 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Lasagna. House made sauce. San Marzano's, basil, garlic, oregano, and chives from the garden

I don't know if I'm the only one, but for lasagna or Italian in general I prefer it the next day after it's been refrigerated and reheated. Not sure why exactly.
Post 383 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@EbayMafia

Agreed. It's almost as if they need to put that in the recipe.
Post 384 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Lasagna. House made sauce. San Marzano's, basil, garlic, oregano, and chives from the garden

I don't know if I'm the only one, but for lasagna or Italian in general I prefer it the next day after it's been refrigerated and reheated. Not sure why exactly.

It is true, though tradeoffs and somewhat dependent on what type of pasta.

What you are getting is the benefit of even longer flavor incorporation. When I cook pasta it is virtually always with homemade sauce but rarely with homemade pasta. When making the sauce we will batch it for 2 to 3 meals. This is because the “minimum” cook time for a good pasta sauce is over an hour.

Raw tomatoes don’t have umami flavor. Slow cooked tomatoes have tons. So while it isn’t work-intensive to make a good sauce, it is “stove time” intensive. That time is also needed to fully incorporate your other ingredients (basil, onion, garlic etc).

Reheating (properly) from leftovers essentially extends that cook time with another heating process and combined with a long, slow (chemically based) intermission period. So all your other ingredients have more time to chemically incorporate.

The tradeoffs are potentially overcooked pasta if you are reheating not just the sauce but also the noodles. With lasagna it is less of an issue for most because the over-cook tolerance for most is very high. Reheated gnocchi on the other hand, is usually not as good.

Overall, Italian food holds up very well (and often improves) because of the typical incorporation of flavors and use of tomatoes. Same with indian and thai dishes. Other asian foods that are more based on separation rather than incorporation (many stir fries) don’t hold up or become a “mush” of flavors. I would say we are equal balanced here between eating stir fries, Italian, thai and indian, and then a mix of “random” food.

Flip side is curries and italian dishes usually have a much longer initial cook time (stove time). No surprise but also means it is a good thing the properties carry over for reheats :-)
Post 385 IP   flag post
Homemade cake and cupcake leftovers from daughter’s birthday

Is there a healthier way to start the day?

Edit: wife baked. She has the baking skills. I can’t be bothered to measure ingredients. Works for cooking. Not so much for baking.

Post 386 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

My short take on this is that for lasagna, it’s pretty wet and loose when you cut into it when it’s hot out of the stove (but still delicious). The next day, it has a much firmer consistency and all the ingredients have absorbed more flavor from the sauce (and it’s even more delicious). Not to brag, but my mom (Italian and still with us at 93, but doesn’t cook much anymore) made an awesome lasagna.
Post 387 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Quote:

My short take on this is that for lasagna, it’s pretty wet and loose when you cut into it when it’s hot out of the stove (but still delicious). The next day, it has a much firmer consistency and all the ingredients have absorbed more flavor from the sauce (and it’s even more delicious). Not to brag, but my mom (Italian and still with us at 93, but doesn’t cook much anymore) made an awesome lasagna.

Yes - the firming of the pasta and the almost drier/crispier edges are one of my favorite parts of reheated lasagna. This sometimes happens with reheated pizza, especially homemade doughs. Though more hit/miss…

Salute to your mom.

My mom is also Italian. Makes a great lasagna too. Her curries and other ethnic foods taste great - but remind me of eating Chinese food in Treviso haha
Post 388 IP   flag post
@esaravo @Davethebrave You guys nailed it, it's the firming of the texture and blending of flavors. When lasagna comes out of the oven hot it's kind of slippery. For years I've thought it would be cool to have a blue collar Italian Diner that only served food that could be prepared in advance and refrigerated overnight. Some clever name like "Better Tomorrow" or something like that.
I kind of like the texture-firming effect of refrigerating chicken as well. I've long thought that KFC should refrigerate their leftover Fried Chicken at night and sell it the next day as a regular menu item called "Picnic Chicken".
Post 389 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
From breakfast;

toast, scrapple, eggs over easy and cheese sauce.
Post 390 IP   flag post
Never had the stomach for scrapple... or any food that contained "crap" as part of its name.
Post 391 IP   flag post
I've never had it. I'd give it a go though.... That stuff doesn't exist up north.

Edit: That doesn't look appetizing though.
Post 392 IP   flag post
According to Wikipedia: Scrapple is best known as an American food of the southern Mid-Atlantic states (Delaware, Maryland, South Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia).
Post 393 IP   flag post
Quote:
According to Wikipedia: Scrapple is best known as an American food of the southern Mid-Atlantic states (Delaware, Maryland, South Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia).
OK. I'll go with that doesn't exist in the rust belt.
Post 394 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
OK. I'll go with that doesn't exist in the rust belt.

I think it's Quaker food. You don't even have the right clothes for it.
Post 395 IP   flag post
East coast Amish... I follow.
Post 396 IP   flag post
More Amish and Mennonite, but you're right about the clothes.
Post 397 IP   flag post
Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
Just saw this being done at a live show and had to share somewhere to see if anyone found this normal. Taking out a bottle of hot sauce and adding it to their popcorn??

Has anyone ever done this or see it done before?
Post 398 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaz13
Just saw this being done at a live show and had to share somewhere to see if anyone found this normal. Taking out a bottle of hot sauce and adding it to their popcorn??

Hipsters, did it have a twirly stache?
Post 399 IP   flag post
Jalapeno's on popcorn is fairly common, they offer in in the theatres. But never seen the hot sauce thing before.
Post 400 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaz13

This is not a new thing in the South.
Post 401 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips

Post 402 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte looks delicious!!
Post 403 IP   flag post
I'm told it's fantastic. I'll try some tomorrow. =)

Edit.

It was fantastic.
For those interested this is the recipe we used.

https://handletheheat.com/peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookies/
Post 404 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Quote:

Yes - the firming of the pasta and the almost drier/crispier edges are one of my favorite parts of reheated lasagna. This sometimes happens with reheated pizza, especially homemade doughs. Though more hit/miss…

Salute to your mom.

My mom is also Italian. Makes a great lasagna too. Her curries and other ethnic foods taste great - but remind me of eating Chinese food in Treviso haha

Agreed on better when re-heated but the re-heat has to be in a stove...no microwave. That crispiness can't be made in a microwave.
Post 405 IP   flag post
600782 999 30