Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

OT; What are you eating or cooking?14395

CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Brother made some beef jerky in his new dehydrator. Tastes better than Jack's links...
I fancy myself a decent jerky maker.
Post 351 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad
Happy birthday!!!

My brother is kinda weird. He refused to use liquid smoke. He smoked the beef for 2 hours then used dehydrator for 5. The beef was very good. Especially since this was first try. You could really taste smoke
Post 352 IP   flag post
Collector Puckster private msg quote post Address this user

Decided to make a big pot of chili today.
Post 353 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:
Brother made some beef jerky in his new dehydrator. Tastes better than Jack's links...
I fancy myself a decent jerky maker.

I can vouch. What sticks in my memory the most is the texture and full flavor from slicing it thin. I imagine thin sliced jerky takes a lot more time and work than thick sliced. But it was great.
Post 354 IP   flag post
" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
The General. Home-made. Slight modification as I batter with my korean fried chicken batter instead of a traditional batter - crispier and healthier at the same time!

Post 355 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Took brother out to lunch for his bday.

Dim sum.

Post 356 IP   flag post
Mmm
Post 357 IP   flag post
@Davethebrave

If that was aimed at my post, it was God awful. Never eating there again. I cant believe I used to eat there every week. As my brother put it, no competition equates to complacency.....
Post 358 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Davethebrave

If that was aimed at my post, it was God awful. Never eating there again. I cant believe I used to eat there every week. As my brother put it, no competition equates to complacency.....

No, I was self-congratulating my own cooking ability.

Think American Psycho Christian Bale mirror scene.
Post 359 IP   flag post
Never saw it. But I'm sure it tasted good
Post 360 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckster

Decided to make a big pot of chili today.

@Puckster Thanks for posting. I've decided to make this my agenda today as well, and it's gonna be hotter than hell.

I've been suffering severe allergies the past 4 days,.. puffy around the eyes, 100% nasal blockage. I'm going to make this batch so spicy it will probably melt the rest of the hair off my head.
Post 361 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
Tonights fare was lengua(cow tongue) with a few tripitas(intestine) and beans burrito. Green salsa added for spice!
Post 362 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@starlord - I never had the stomach for tripe.
Post 363 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord
Tonights fare was lengua(cow tongue) with a few tripitas(intestine) and beans burrito. Green salsa added for spice!

Yeah, if I had that, you'd might as well just bypass the middle man and go straight to the toilet.
Post 364 IP   flag post
Quote:
Beto, I’ll take my tripe in menudo. Lengua is like pot roast dudes, eat it!
Post 365 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@starlord - I never had the stomach for tripe.

That’s a gutsy pun.
Post 366 IP   flag post
I was once at a restaurant in K-town (LA) and asked the server how their intestines were. Well, not their intestines, but what they were offering on the menu. “Spicy intestine” I believe was the menu item.

Her response “it’s not good for you” … had to ask a couple more times, mentioning that I’ve had similar dishes dozens of times.

Turns out it was very good - can’t remember the name of the place, however.

Edit: just realized based on my food post a couple up that it may be confusing - I am not Korean… I cook/eat all sorts of “ethnic” food. So the “you” was a bit … presumptuous…
Post 367 IP   flag post
No joke, the best menudo I ever had was from a food trailer in Fremont, Oh.
Post 368 IP   flag post
Quote:

The second best “authentic” italian pizza I’ve had was in Plymouth, Michigan. Best was in Florence. I lived in Italy for 6 months… you can’t know for sure where you’ll find great food.

The strangest Chinese food I’ve ever had was in Treviso. They clearly had no access to authentic ingredients. Still good food… and still an awesome experience.
Post 369 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad heck yeah dude! Though I'm biased the menudo here in EP is pretty legit. AND its now the season for it and tamales!
Post 370 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davethebrave
Quote:

The second best “authentic” italian pizza I’ve had was in Plymouth, Michigan. Best was in Florence. I lived in Italy for 6 months… you can’t know for sure where you’ll find great food.

The strangest Chinese food I’ve ever had was in Treviso. They clearly had no access to authentic ingredients. Still good food… and still an awesome experience.
I’m not hip on authentic but there is a spot in Monroe Mich. called Detroit Beach that is baller.

Quote:
@HeinzDad heck yeah dude! Though I'm biased the menudo here in EP is pretty legit. AND its now the season for it and tamales!
The best tamales I ever had were made by some dude out of his house here in Toledo. He would wake up and cook stuff for his enjoyment and neighborhood people would come by and pay him for it.
Post 371 IP   flag post

Post 372 IP   flag post
Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user

Tried making Chinese BBQ Pork (Char Siu) and it turned out pretty good. Tasted almost like had in the restaurant.
Post 373 IP   flag post
Collector enaz13 private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave Any suggestions on best way to fry the battered chicken? Everything I try to have batter fried doesn't turn out well, I think my biggest problem is I can't keep a consistent oil temp. I've been using the stove top but thought of trying it in my wok. Any tips?
Post 374 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaz13
@Davethebrave Any suggestions on best way to fry the battered chicken? Everything I try to have batter fried doesn't turn out well, I think my biggest problem is I can't keep a consistent oil temp. I've been using the stove top but thought of trying it in my wok. Any tips?

Oil temp is key and how you batter too. I have used deep fryers but lately just stovetop. I use an IR thermometer and keep oil temp between 375-425. Peanut oil for this purpose. Gas stove top is best and almost necessary (induction second best) so that you can fine tune. Don’t overdo batch size vs oil volume. When you “drop” your fry in, the oil temp of course will drop so I will boost the heat for a short time to compensate.

My guess is it is dropping too many pieces at once (I do batches) or aiming for 350 degrees per most recipe books and then the oil dropping below 300 with the dropping of chicken/batter. That would cause oil absorption (more than necessary) and it won’t be crisped nicely.

What’s your batter/process?

I would not wok fry for this purpose - we have a large wok and I have been tempted to use for a shallow fry… but then realize you really get even more limited with batch sizing and adequate coverage with no real advantage.
Post 375 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad

My muffins bring all the boys to the yard.
And they're like, they're better than yours.
Damn right, they're better than yours.
I can teach you, but I'd have to charge.
Post 376 IP   flag post
@DrWatson I bet you just eat the top and give the stumps to homeless.
Post 377 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
@DrWatson I bet you just eat the top and give the stumps to homeless.

Not a chance. When I eat a muffin, I always eat the entire muffin.
Post 378 IP   flag post
I think I just figured out why the authorities keep asking children if they know the muffin man.
Post 379 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
@HeinzDad

My muffins bring all the boys to the yard.
And they're like, they're better than yours.
Damn right, they're better than yours.
I can teach you, but I'd have to charge.
I’m not sure what’s more impressive. Your baking prowess, or your knowledge of that Milkshake joint!
Post 380 IP   flag post
601353 999 30