Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Difference in grading companies14384

Collector Mikeoliver1313 private msg quote post Address this user
So,I’m somebody that goes against the grain so to speak, I don’t follow the popular opinion and make my own judgments on everything. With that being said I purchased aultimate fallout 4. Cbcs grade 9.0 I cracked it open send it
To pgx it came back a 9.0 cracked it open again and sent it to CGC came back a 9.4 sense it was not pressed with Cbcs I did not have it pressed with the other two.
What does this prove? Not a damn thing grading mis very subjective and human error always exist. I will tell you turnaround time PGX 4 weeks. CGC 16 weeks
Pricing about the same. Pgx cases are shit though but their customer service 100% great. As someone who is never sold a book out of my PC I’d have no problem using PGX again cause of the Turnaround time I don’t care which company gets the highest resell value. Like I said I don’t follow the popular opinion so I’m sure this topic we get a lot of hate and I’m ok with that I make my own opinions on my Experience

Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Mikeoliver1313 I deleted the PGX pictures. Only CBCS and CGC slabs are allowed to be posted.

The grades were as stated.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector kidhuman private msg quote post Address this user
Everything in the world is subjective. It is always a matter of one persons opinion. I am like you, I make my own flow and dont care about resale value. I collect for me. I have things entombed for me, not for sale. I like the way slabs look and its a great way to preserve a great story.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector EddieTheComicGuy private msg quote post Address this user
As a person who doesn’t often go with popular opinion myself, as long as you’re doing what makes you happy while collecting, more power to you!!! That said, you are right grading is subjective among the grading companies. Whenever I send books in I always hope I’ll catch a grader on a good day and all my books come back 9.8!!! 😁 COLLECT WHAT YOU WANT TO COLLECT, HOW YOU WANT TO COLLECT IT!!!
Post 4 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I think that's pretty interesting as the market leader, cgc is the outlier....

Personally I do care about resale value, and had a book sent to CGC for press and grading. I hope it gets the same grader you got....
Post 5 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user

Thanks for sharing this @Mikeoliver1313

Also, looks like in this instance. CGC definitely has the higher resale value 😂
Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Since not pressed I wonder if CGC missed the light indent it would have had from being in the poly bag?
Easy to overlook but should have been looked at since it is a well know issue with this book.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@jesse_0 you deleted the pictures wow. Must not believe in transparency huh? I’m absolutely speechless. What in the world does does the other two grading companies have to fear from PGX? It’s the same book and all three pictures just in a different slab what’s the big deal!
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Mikeoliver1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoliver1313
@jesse_0 you deleted the pictures wow. Must not believe in transparency huh? I’m absolutely speechless. What in the world does does the other two grading companies have to fear from PGX? It’s the same book and all three pictures just in a different slab what’s the big deal!

@Mikeoliver1313

You’re gonna get banned if you keep trying to post it.

Remember, the CGC forum doesn’t allow pictures from either company.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector waynemel private msg quote post Address this user
It might be interesting to see what the grader notes say for each.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
PGX has a long history of questionable business practices. They aren’t allowed for a reason.

(It will be removed).

CBCS is well known for being a little more strict with their grading. No surprises here.
Post 11 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@Mikeoliver1313 PGX pictures are not allowed. It's not about transparency. You're new so they might give you a break. You should take down your PGX picture before the mods see it.

I'm not sure if you're aware of PGX history....if not, look it up.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Since the three grading companies do not follow Overstreet's grading guide or another uniform method of grading, there will be differences. I too care about resale value, not saying I'm selling my grails, but it is nice to know you paid X for a book and based on the grade it is worth Y. Best of luck to all who submit their books in hopes you receive an accurate grade...nuff said
Post 13 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Mikeoliver1313

I feel that the forums are like a person's home. Your welcome as long as you abide by their rules. If you don't agree, you walk away. If you are set in your ways, open your own forums.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I feel a lock is looming.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@waynemel let me get your the grade notes from the other two companies.

Pgx grader notes Ultimate Fallout #4 - 9.0 - corner crease on front cover, multiple stress lines along spine.

I’m still looking for the CGC notes checking emails now
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Swollen Ankles!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
@gac i’m well aware on of pgx history, but that’s why I said I make my own opinions and I don’t follow the masses
Post 18 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeoliver1313
@gac i’m well aware on of pgx history, but that’s why I said I make my own opinions and I don’t follow the masses

Not following the masses for the sake of not following doesn't make that person more independent or whatever one thinks that does.

Would you still take your car to a mechanic who intentionally doesn't do repairs, inflates costs, etc because the masses decided not to use him?
Post 19 IP   flag post
@00slim
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
CBCS is well known for being a little more strict with their grading. No surprises here.

I think OP is trying to challenge that narrative with these posts.
Post 20 IP   flag post
If it’s established history, is it really an opinion?
Post 21 IP   flag post
@Murmonster lol!!!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
@00slim
Quote:

I’m confused, then. Cuz CGC was far more lenient. Doesn’t that suggest it’s true?
Post 23 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Murm private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Murmonster lol!!!!

@GAC I edited my post but still that was a funny half hour.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I think I'm just going to remain silent on this unfortunate, but real topic.
What's that saying about Mom always said and if it's not nice?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmonster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
@Murmonster lol!!!!

@GAC I edited my post but still that was a funny half hour.

indeed it was!!! how feet/ankles made it's way in that thread..lol!! hilarious!
Post 27 IP   flag post
@00slim
Quote:
Quote:
@00slim
Quote:

I’m confused, then. Cuz CGC was far more lenient. Doesn’t that suggest it’s true?

Just rethink it by taking CGC out of the equation.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
@00slim
Quote:
Quote:
@00slim
Quote:

Just rethink it by taking CGC out of the equation.

I see.

As far as the tied grade? A broken clock is right twice a day.

I’d need to see dozens and dozens of examples of this exact situation to sway me, personally.

Aside from the grading, PGX’s long history of poor business practices don’t disappear. Along with frequently missing restoration.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Mikeoliver1313 PGX has a long history of questionable practices
including but not limited to:
self grading
missing restoration, cut coupons, missing pages, trimmed comics
'witnessing' un-witnessed signatures
general over grading

all of these are prolonged issues over well...decades now!

not to say all PGX books are graded incorrectly but enough (higher value books) have consistently been show to have these issues since PGX started in 2002

This particular book might be ok....but do you want to take the chance on books pre 1980 where colour touch, trimming, cut coupons etc. are common??
Post 30 IP   flag post
602550 69 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?