Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Has the Art of Jack Kirby signed Limited Edition Book been Authenticated14382

Collector Surfer private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, I have been looking into trying to obtain Jack Kirby's Autograph, and I came across past listings of The Art of Jack Kirby signed Limited Edition Hardcover Book by Ray Wyman and put out by Blue Rose Press. Anyways I became very interested in obtaining the book not only because I want his autograph, but because I collect Art Books and this one seemed like it would be a great addition to my Collection. And I don't think obtaining it would be too difficult as I can see that they still occassionally get listed and sold on Ebay. However, before making larger purchases I generally do quite a bit of homework on the product to make sure it's going to be everything I expect it to be. So this lead me to reading many articles that suggest Jack Kirby did not sign most of his autographs from the late 80's and into the 90's until his eventual Death in 1994, and that most of these signatures were instead Roz his Wife signing for him. Most of these articles reference that his signatures on the Dynamic Forces titles were always being rejected by Authentication Services as not being the real Jack Kirby's Signature. However, other then the fact that Blue Rose Press put out The Art of Jack Kirby signed Limited Edition in 1992, which is right around the time where his wife was supposedly signing most things, I have not read any articles that support or deny the legitamacy of the Jack Kirby Autographs in these Art Books. So my question is, has anyone ever sent a copy of The Art of Jack Kirby signed Limited Edition Book out to any of the major Authentication Services for Signature Verification? and if so did it get Approved or Denied? Any information you can provide would help me know if it is worth it to get it with or without the Autograph. Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Surfer Do you have a picture of the signature
Post 2 IP   flag post

This is just an example, and not necessarilly one for Sale at this precise moment. Thanks!
Post 3 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
This is a really good question.
The other hardcover book that is signed and limited (Kirby's Heroes and Villains) I purchased directly from Greg Theakston in the late 80's. I actually talked to him on the phone when I ordered it and didn't initially receive my copy. Theakston was a very nice guy is my memory.

However, each of these are signed by Kirby and given the OP's concern about late 80's/early 90's Kirby autographs I often wonder over 30+ years if that Kirby autograph in Heroes and Villains is legit.

Great post!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
@Surfer that was signed by Roz
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I have two books that fall in this time period for signing and were supposedly Kirby signatures...I asked BAS to do a quick verify on them, and they both failed, suggesting they were done by Roz as well. It is rather compelling to compare them to the example above

Post 6 IP   flag post

a couple from my of, the eternals was signed by Roz, I just thought the stationary was worth getting it. The silver surfer is a classic Kirby signature
Post 7 IP   flag post
"There, their, they're." GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66

a couple from my of, the eternals was signed by Roz, I just thought the stationary was worth getting it. The silver surfer is a classic Kirby signature

Wow!! speechless!!!
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'll contribute my one and only Jack sig.

soon to be Yellow label.

Post 9 IP   flag post

Post 10 IP   flag post
Thank you everyone for your responses, and there are some pretty nice Autographs in the posts above.As for Batman66 stating that the Autograph shown inside The Art of Jack Kirby's signed Limited Edition is Roz signing for Jack, I tend to agree based on what I have seen. However, I am no expert, so I appreciate your input. So my next question is does anyone know of any Jack Kirby Art Books that took place earlier in his life where he did a limited run of signed copies that would result in a higher likely hood of the Autograph being from the King himself? I know another poster said they had a Signed Copy of Heroes and Villains Limited Edition, so would that group of Autographs perhaps contain his actual signature? Thanks again for the help.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Here is a few images I found online as examples of the book. It was published in 1987.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Another Option I was thinking of was if any of his Marvelmania posters were signed. I read Mike Zeck along with a French printer redid the Marvelmania Dr.Doom Poster with different colors as a limited run with Jack Kirby's supposed signature, See included images. but again it was in 1991 this new run came out, So I suspect it's Roz signing for him again. If anyone thinks it's a genuine Jack Kirby Autograph let me know. Still it's a really cool poster all the same. If any of the Original Marvel Mania posters have a Jack Kirby signature, I would think in that case it would be less likely to be Roz's signature and actually Jack Kirby's. However, you would still have to watch out for forgers trying to fake his name, but again less likely to be someone signing for him as the Marvel Mania posters came out in 1970 and 1971. And this was followed by the Marvel Foom Posters which came out in 1974. Any of these would be really cool to own with an authentic Jack Kirby signature.

Post 13 IP   flag post
Here are some of the original MarvelMania Posters by Jack Kirby. So if anyone has any idea if there are any signed versions of this let me know. Again super cool Jack Kirby Posters.

Post 14 IP   flag post
And here are the Marvel Foom posters, but only a few of these are Jack Kirby's Artwork, Again still very cool posters though and it would be awesome to find one with Kirby's actual signature on it. So if anyone has seen a believed Jack Kirby signature on any of his posters, please let me know that they exist. Again thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Thanks!
Post 15 IP   flag post
@GAC thanks
Post 16 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman66
I just thought the stationary was worth getting it

That's an understatement! 1983 date stamp, Roz handling his correspondence, Kirby stationary and envelope...that's quite a piece of history there.
Post 17 IP   flag post
There is a limited edition captain america poster Kirby signed that was numbered something like 300 pieces or so...Mycomicshop gets them in for their auction every now and then. I bid the last one I saw to around 3 bills and dropped, but they are out there and seem legit
Post 18 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town

Is this the one you were referring to?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402697133141
Post 19 IP   flag post
The one I had in mind seemed it was done earlier and if I remember correctly was cap and bucky and was uncolored. It also seemed early enough I had felt the signature was tight on it
Post 20 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Ok.

Thank you
Post 21 IP   flag post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JACK-KIRBY-Partners-in-Action-Print-NM-1978-limited-Signed-Numbered-100-1500/324231936549?hash=item4b7dbaba25:g:bL0AAOSwZNhfEJIA

This one is what I would buy myself...apparently signedn in 1978..numbered and.limited and the signature looks good to me....and that price seems fair if you ask me . For three Bill's you get a nice print and the King's signature from back when it almost has to be legit

Also notice it has. a best offer feature...offer 300 shipped and see what gives
Post 22 IP   flag post
I'm waiting.... (tapping fingers).
Splotches is gettin old!
Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Bought this for $50 years and years ago.
No clue if authentic, but for $50... wth.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Bought this for $50 years and years ago.
No clue if authentic, but for $50... wth.

wow!!!! awesome!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Darkseid_of_town, unfortunately it appears I was too slow and someone else purchased your recommendation. I work a lot of hours and sometimes it's hard for me to get to things right of way. See photo.
Post 25 IP   flag post
What about some of these other prints that other people have posted here. Any thoughts on if the Autographs are actualy signed by Jack Kirby?

Post 26 IP   flag post
Or this one here also posted by Collector, any idea if it's a real Jack Kirby Autograph and not Roz? Because I See ones like it on Ebay frequently. Thanks!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer
Darkseid_of_town, unfortunately it appears I was too slow and someone else purchased your recommendation. I work a lot of hours and sometimes it's hard for me to get to things right of way. See photo.
Sorry you missed out, looks like someone even made an offer like I suggested and scooped it. Snooze you lose I guess.....but now you at least can watch ebay for one like that and you know what to look for ...sooner or later another will pop up. The numbering suggests its a 1500 print issue so shouldnt be too hard to get one eventually
Post 28 IP   flag post
Special thank you to @Darkseid_of_town for pointing this out.

He also mentioned that the 100 is also a great number because that's when captain America series picked up with his self titled series.....

Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Amspider private msg quote post Address this user

Post 30 IP   flag post
615694 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?