Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Curious... What is the MINIMUM Slab Grade You Allow When Purchasing?14372

I AM... THE Bat-Manuel MurrayC private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a question...

Is there a minimum slab grade that you will not go below when purchasing a book? (note: putting Fair Market value aside)

For example, for a modern book released only months ago, how far below a 9.8 are you willing to purchase a book at? For moderns, are there other factors that you'd accept? (e.g. a modern book signed by XYZ creator, but it's "only" a 9.4)

What about AGE of the slab? Are there minimum grades you'd allow based on the era of the book? (e.g. no lower than an 8.5 for a bronze, and no lower than a 6.5 for a Silver Age? etc?)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
If it's a mega 60s key,I'll go down as far as a .5. cost being a factor.
Think it comes to the price point in grade what I'm willing to spend.

The cheaper the book, the higher the grade.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
yup I side with @southerncross

more expensive or rare the book the lower the grade I will accept
the more available or relatively cheap (say 9.8 at $1k or less) the less likely I will accept a low grade
Post 3 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Moderns I try for 9.8. 9.6 if I missed the boat.

Grails, I have gone as low as a 3.5 JIM 83 CGC. But I try to stay at 6.5 or above for silver age.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
For me, only to fill hole or upgrade. If it is a modern, typically 9.8. If it is Bronze/Copper, typically 9.0. If it is Silver, I might go down to 3.0 but more likely 5.0. Golden, before my time and probably would not buy unless well below market for any grade.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
Moderns: not below a 8.0

Silver age bronze age especially keys :

low grade is better than no grade lol!
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
All based on price and magnitude of grail/key. The greater magnitude of grail, the lower the grade appetite. I try to buy the highest grade I can afford or when I come across a great deal, I'll buy.

I don't buy moderns.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Sebastsk8 private msg quote post Address this user
For moderns I'm extremely picky, usually won't go below a 9.4 although for like an asm 300 I might go to 8.0 or so.

For older books I'm much more lenient.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
@Sebastsk8 same

Also welcome to the fun squad!
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Difficult for me to answer. I've only purchased less than a handful in my lifetime
Post 10 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
Moderns are typically 9.8, 9.6.
Exceptions being some late modern newsstand editions that I simply get the best examples I can find. For example: The Sonic 290 newsstand edition shown below. It is an unexpected final issue from 2017 with a very low print run, I doubt I’ll come by a 9.8 anytime soon. I’ve only seen one newsstand copy other than mine and it was in rough shape.I’m happy with my 9.6.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector HairlessWookiee private msg quote post Address this user
For any comic from 1980 and on I don't like to get anything less than a 7.5. I'm not too hung up on the grade though. I got a Hulk 181 at a 4.5 and an X-Men 94 at a 5.0. I'm more than happy with those grades. I just sent in an X-Men 129 to get graded and I'm guessing it'll get a 6.5 worst case and a 7.5 best case.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector kidhuman private msg quote post Address this user
I have never purchased a slabbed book. For modern, I feel someone will have a raw copy given all the online stores out there.

If I was to buy an older, bronze, silver etc. It would depend on the book and all. An Xmen #1, if I happen to have the $$$ at the time, I would go low grade, 1.0 but it would all depend upon the mood, the cover itself since that is what would be displayed mostly, and the timing of everything.
Post 13 IP   flag post
597868 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?