Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Can you spare a grade14328

Collector Mmanick private msg quote post Address this user

Picked this book up recently and am needing help with grading it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
4.0 maybe 4.5
Post 2 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
3.5 to 4.5
Post 3 IP   flag post
Jeez in the low end of the spectrum so far. Looks much better then a 3.5
Post 4 IP   flag post
The guy I bought it from told 6.5/7.0
Post 5 IP   flag post
That front cover is badly miscut or else its mis-wraped, but either way that isnt going to let it grade much higher, nevermind the water damage or staining back cover top ...the top staples looks to be pulling through the cover as well. 4.5 is about as high as the book will go...
Post 6 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmanick
The guy I bought it from told 6.5/7.0

it's the water stain...grade gets hit hard for that!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Oteemorse private msg quote post Address this user
5.0-5.5
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks for the input guys. Do you think a press or clean would help?
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Mmanick That stain at the top back cover really hurts the grade. If not for that, the book might clean/press to a 6.5/7.0
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Terry88 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel this would top out at a 5.5 - almost entirely due to that stain. I would still clean and press it.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
@Mmanick That stain at the top back cover really hurts the grade. If not for that, the book might clean/press to a 6.5/7.0

Also, I can't tell if that is a tear at the bottom back cover (center) or some sort of marking.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Noblebeast315 private msg quote post Address this user
I agree with @Terry88. I think the high for this book is 5.0. Not what you thought you were getting but not as bad as some other think IMO. Definitely get it cleaned and pressed, so you can be sure to get that 5.0 though haha.
Post 13 IP   flag post
with the way the cover is miscut top to bottom its going to be difficult moving the grade on it past 4.5
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector andy49 private msg quote post Address this user
It isn't a 7

4 to 5 is probably right
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I had a book that looked very much like this come in (CGC) 6.5. It didn’t have a large stain or tear...but had corner crease and spine creases.

I can’t tell if there’s a crease across the cover running top to right...if that presses out you may get some bonus percentages for a nice front cover. 6.5 max. 5.5 likely.
Post 16 IP   flag post
..that miscut though....everyone seems to be ignoring how badly the cover is miscut
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The miscut (as I understand it) does not hurt the grade. I had a What If? 10 miscut way worse than that get a 9.6. (I sold it as the miscut bothered me) but I was very surprised at the grade.
Maybe a 6 IMO.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I don't believe this....and I know you don't care that I don't believe this. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
The miscut (as I understand it) does not hurt the grade. I had a What If? 10 miscut way worse than that get a 9.6. (I sold it as the miscut bothered me) but I was very surprised at the grade.
Maybe a 6 IMO.

Agreed, miscut will not effect this books grade (assuming that's not a shoddy trim job). It's a solid book. With a press (and without the stain) the book could get its advertised grade of 6.5/7.0 but as is, I'd say more in the 5.0-5.5 area. That said, I do not know the grade penalty for a stain like that so the final grade could be lower.

But if you buy it and get it graded, get it Pressed.
Post 19 IP   flag post

Cosmic Aeroplane copy of this book, note the badly miscut cover...sold as a G+.....

From what was said at the time a mis wrap wont affect a grade but a miscut if severe enough can
Post 20 IP   flag post
Thanks to everyone who chimed in.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
..that miscut though....everyone seems to be ignoring how badly the cover is miscut

@Darkseid_of_town As you know, nobody has a bigger pet peeve against miswraps or miscut covers than myself. We've all seen much worst miswraps than this Conan book displays. I think in this case the same is true of the slight miscut on the top edge. I don't believe it is bad as you feel it is, and the back is pretty well centered. The stain and that possible tear at the bottom are the biggest distractions with this book, barring whatever flaws the front cover may have.

possible 5.0-6.0 with press and clean IMHO.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Quote:

@Darkseid_of_town As you know, nobody has a bigger pet peeve against miswraps or miscut covers than myself. We've all seen much worst miswraps than this Conan book displays. I think in this case the same is true of the slight miscut on the top edge. I don't believe it is bad as you feel it is, and the back is pretty well centered. The stain and that possible tear at the bottom are the biggest distractions with this book, barring whatever flaws the front cover may have.

possible 5.0-6.0 with press and clean IMHO.
Truer words were never typed in above case...however I disagree the miscut is slight. I would be careful to verify if it is still square and may not be able to be graded.

When I cropped and resized the image , I did so with a rectangle crop.....notice how the book misses the edges not just along the top but especially at the page edge. The back may be well centered, but if the cut of the paper is not rectangular there will be no grading that book.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

@Darkseid_of_town As you know, nobody has a bigger pet peeve against miswraps or miscut covers than myself.

@BigRed I think I might be able to compete with you on that pet peeve.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Mis-wraps to my eye are a seperate issue from mis-cuts which can mis-shape the book itself or prevent it from grading possibly and depending how it is cut
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@Darkseid_of_town As you know, nobody has a bigger pet peeve against miswraps or miscut covers than myself.

"Two Men enter... One Man Leaves" LOL
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Mis-wraps to my eye are a separate issue from mis-cuts which can mis-shape the book itself or prevent it from grading possibly and depending how it is cut

I agree that "miswraps" and "miscuts" are two different things.

Like the miswraps, there are plenty of books with less than desirable cuts residing slabs, higher grade slabs as well.

I also never heard of a miscut cover disqualifying a book from being graded, regardless of the severity.

The OP's book is most certainly gradable.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You have absolutely no idea how many raw (personally inspected) ASM-129's I've turned downed. lol
Post 28 IP   flag post
yeah no....they are not the same thing. A mis-wrap is where a cover is poorly aligned at the spine resulting in both covers of the book being off centered.

A mis cut can be either cut out of adjustment top to bottom, side to side, or even slanted at any angle ....note and then the cover or sometimes the entire book is CUT wrong...not just wrapped...it is also then MISCUT giving the term its name. Aside from that a mis-cut can also refer to the pages being cut into the interior , the cover being cut multiple times creating many jagged edges, etc.

I know there are many mis cuts residing slabs however I also am aware of books so badly miscut they cannot be slabbed due to the fact they WILL NOT FIT INSIDE THE SLAB....which makes it ungradeable.
In the op's case, it is defnitely not a foregone conclusion it will be gradeable...if the cut is severe enough it cannot be encased, it will not be graded.

I am sure however CBCS will welcome your expertise in how to encase books that do not fit within slabs, sounds fun
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You have absolutely no idea how many raw (personally inspected) ASM-129's I've turned downed. lol

I hear on that. I have seen many ASM #129 books plagued by miswraped covers. For the money it commands I don't blame you one bit for holding out for a nice centered copy.
Post 30 IP   flag post
619266 37 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?